PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet base at Manchester Airport ????

EGCC4284
6th Feb 2003, 18:56
Can anybody tell me if the is any truth in this
info that I have been passed today with regards
easyjet basing aircraft at Manchester Airport

Fly_Right
6th Feb 2003, 19:05
Hugely unlikely as ej's second biggest base is just down the road at LPL.

Orange In Cider
6th Feb 2003, 20:23
Definitely can't see it happening given the 20 year deal signed with LPL. MAN would really have to sort out costs before it was considered.

Elmer the Monk
6th Feb 2003, 20:46
I hear that MAN have stated they want to attract a scheduled low cost carrier. I understand they were way too expensive when easyJet approached them years ago. However, since most airports in the UK now have an easy operation, perhaps they will make an attractive offer. I agree though, it's unlikely that easy will move since LPL is so convenient - no holding, no congestion and no competition.

Interested to see if anything comes of it.

Silkman
6th Feb 2003, 21:12
EGCC

If you've heard a rumour of a low cost at MAN, I understand an announcement may be made tomorrow (Friday 7th) and it's not Easy. Perhaps it may be a 'very young' low cost airline......
but I could'nt possibly comment.........;)

jmc_757-200
6th Feb 2003, 21:35
Hi, Do you think it could possiably be JET2?

Thanks

jmc_757-200

Localiser Green
6th Feb 2003, 21:44
I think he means bmi baby... but that's pure speculation you understand :hmm: :hmm:

U/S President
6th Feb 2003, 21:52
jmc_757-200: No way it’s Jet2. Like easyJet, their existing base would overlap in catchment area (or at least Jet2 are hoping that they can drawn some pax from the Manchester area).

I too have heard noises about bmibaby at MAN. MAN-STN anyone?

And don’t write off MyTravelLite...

Mr A Tis
7th Feb 2003, 12:20
Maybe it's just to announce no frills / low cost carrier Hapag Lloyd Express start a twice daily MAN- Colgne on March 31st. Seats have been on sale for about 6 weeks now. To date not seen any advertisng / announcments in the press about it.

Ransman
7th Feb 2003, 12:31
BA CitiExpress are expanding their route network ex egcc!

Knifedge
7th Feb 2003, 19:49
quote from http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/sectionhome.aspx?p=194&Rid=169

bmibaby, the low cost arm of bmi, will be including Belfast International as a destination to be served from a new UK base to be announced shortly.

coincidence?

stick-shaker
7th Feb 2003, 21:00
I heard today too that it's bmibaby - source is a ground ops guy with extensive contacts, but a rumour is a rumour until it ain't ...

Buster the Bear
7th Feb 2003, 21:35
Manch would suit A baby. They can assume all the routes currently flown by its parent. Lower costs and slash T's and C's.

Think I am joking, just look at East Midlands 2 years ago and compare with today!

I was hoping my local airport would do well from A baby, but they (The airport operator) have nothing immediate to gain by telling the world that a Beds baby is due. The Welsh ‘support’ has influenced an airline at Cardiff however ££££££££££! Will they remain once the ‘welcome’ has dried out?

A baby would be able to grasp a share of London via a huge catchment area and loads of destinations available not served yet by easy/Ryan?

A baby are best seen as a mechanism to remove Daddy from the regions, slash costs, jobs, fly millions of passengers and make a small profit for its parent, unlike huge re-structuring costs to the group, by keeping Daddy regional?

Redline
7th Feb 2003, 21:46
Ransman...... You have to be joking, BACX management couldn't break into a low cost environment ever.

Low cost means low cost infrastructure as well as fares, therefore whilst the current charlatans remain at the helm of BACX, Netjets stand a better chance of being a low cost airline.

UFGBOY
8th Feb 2003, 09:54
LOOK AT SOME THE ROUTES - WOULD THEY FIT THE CHILDS' PROFILE?

LHR
MUCH FULL FARE TRAFFIC TO BE LOST; EVEN IF BABY DID THAT ROUTE; NO INTERLINE/ONLINE TRANSFER POSSIBLE AT LHR - PAX WOULD NEED TO RECHECK IN - STAR ALLIANCE PARTNERS WOULD NOT BE HAPPY

GLA/EDI - AGAIN, LOTS OF FULL FARE TRAFFIC AT PRESENT ON ERJ - WOULD YOU REPLACE 5 X ERJ ROTATIONS TO GLA (250 PAX CAPACITY) WITH 5 X 737 (750 PAX CAPACITY) OR MAYBE 2 OR 3 (300-450 CAPACITY)

ALTHOUGH NO DOUBT YOU WOULD EXTRACT TRAFFIC FROM BA ON THOSE ROUTES

BUSINESS PAX WANT FREQUENCY (AND TO BUILD UP FREQUENT FLYER PONTS)

HOW HAVE THE EMA-GL/EDI ROUTES FARED UNDER BABY ?

JUST MY 3d WORTH

AOG-YYZ
9th Feb 2003, 15:01
Given the right incentive, I believe easyJet would drop it's routes from Liverpool faster than a whore drops her pants, 20 year contract or not.

longarm
9th Feb 2003, 20:27
Manchester already has a low cost carrier - Monarch! Double daily AGP, ALC and daily PMI and FAO. If only we would advertise......