PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair purchases airport near Prague

Huh??
6th Feb 2003, 11:05
Die Presse reports Ryanair (through its subsidiary Tara Aerospace) has apparently purchased the ex-military airfield Milovice, located just 20km outside of Prague. The purchase price was €400,000 and despite higher bids from other potential operators, Ryanair was selected. Milovice will be converted into a commercial airport with a freight terminal and commercial zone; total investment needed is approximately €90 million. Up to 5000 new jobs could be created in the next years.

Die Presse article (http://www.diepresse.co.at/default.asp?channel=e&ressort=ec&id=335145)

MarkD
6th Feb 2003, 11:50
Seems to be some doubt as to whether Tara is a Tony Ryan vehicle or an MOL vehicle. Some Czech and other articles can be found here:

Prague military airport buy (http://www.irishaviation.net/forums/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000755.html)

Globaliser
6th Feb 2003, 12:05
Milovice, located just 20km outside of Prague.If this is Ryanair, will they be marketing it as "Prague City"?

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Feb 2003, 12:27
Knowing FR they'll probably market it as suitable for Munich:p

ILUV2FLY
6th Feb 2003, 12:32
Fools the lot of you!!!!!!!

I have it from ''the horses mouth'' or my many close friends in fr
its to be our new euro base...BERLIN SOUTH!!!!!!!!

charterguy
6th Feb 2003, 12:33
Good move.

This will help to keep lager louts and other riff raff out of Prague-Ruzyne. :} :}

Hogg
6th Feb 2003, 14:24
And I hear various Freight Companies are interested in using Micks facility when its up and running.

Fair Play!

steamchicken
6th Feb 2003, 15:11
What about "Vladivostok West"?

Herod
6th Feb 2003, 16:48
He also now owns an airline with a British AOC, how long before buzz starts Stansted - Prague. The future's STILL yellow(ish)

Toomuchsmegma
6th Feb 2003, 17:13
Sadly, the one thing about my fellow aviators is they´re so damn amusing! Lets see how many more we can get. No let me spare you the embarrassment and finish off the rest:
1. Ouagadougou North, ahaha
2. Constantinople Northwest, oh god stop
3. Warsaw South, I kill myself

It seems like the more money FR makes, and the happier the FR pilots become the loser lot of the likes of yourselves become more agitated, or jealous for that matter, at Ryanair.

Keep it going fellas...

Capt Homesick
6th Feb 2003, 17:31
Toomuch, why does the concept of a running joke bother you so much? If you don't enjoy the posts which compete to see who can find the silliest name for a destination, scroll past them. Besides, MOL always wins anyway! :p

Boss Raptor
7th Feb 2003, 17:40
Long live CSA...and Prague Ruzyne...

the Czech's certainly dont welcome the lager louts that's for sure...maybe FR will be paying the armoured police bus that will return some of their pax...screw their yield just a bit!

PS. and the local mayor said we could have the airport for nothing if we set up maintenance base there ;)

Departures Beckham
7th Feb 2003, 21:37
There would also be a problem with UK immigration refusals. It doesn't come cheap to the airlines, something we experience on a daily basis as handling agents for CSA Czech Airlines.

Go-fly tried to reduce numbers by refusing cash payments for tickets in Prague and demanding credit card sales only (to deter Czech gypsies).

U/S President
8th Feb 2003, 19:54
If the EU competition crowd are getting uneasy about the anti-competitive nature of Ryanair’s deals with the likes of Brussels Charleroi then surely outright airport ownership is going to raise a few eyebrows.

And I agree with Toomuchsmegma: jokes about the IATA metropolitan designations rather dubiously enjoyed by some of the airports that Ryanair serves are really wearing thin.

robinlance
10th Feb 2003, 16:14
In the interests of accuracy Ryanair HAVE NOT bought an airfield near Prague. Tony Ryan via his vehicle has bought the airfield. He is a founder of Ryanair