PDA

View Full Version : Suitably qualified locum pilots!!!

cficare
6th Feb 2003, 09:50
Doctors do it !

Dentists do it!!

We should be doing it !!!

Can we establish on PP a marketplace where "suitably qualified pilots" can hang their shingle and make themselves available for short term appointments .
There is no end of charter operators, flying schools and AOC holders who need people initally for a short term say 4-12 weeks as leave or sick leave relief.

HEY WOOMERA!!!! COOEE!!! any chance of getting something going?????

RENURPP
6th Feb 2003, 22:12
CFI,

I would like to hang my shingle up.

Grade 1 M/E instructor
12000 + hrs
5500 hrs instructing.
Endorsed but not current on most singles and twins <5700 kgs. Counted 71 types in the log book, 67 <5700 kgs.
previous ATO for PPL, CPL, CIR. CFI/Chief pilot

Aerobatic/formation training

Currently have approx 4 months hols/long service leave owing.

Happy for most types of work. Can locate to any where.

Would really enjoy some DHC6 time some where, or some float time.

Willie Nelson
9th Feb 2003, 05:40
I wouldn't question someone like RENURRP's ability to fly a plane. And while I am sure there is a place for this sort of thing with some organisations, I really do believe that as a larger G/A company we spend a lot of time tyrying to get everyone doing the same procedures as per OUR ops manual. We do our daily inspections one way and our walkarounds another, and everyone must conform.

But more importantly still, we have many regular clients who get on our planes up to five times a week and like a minimum number of pilots shuffled in and out the crew door. Which, given our current setup is hard enough to do when no-one is away on leave, let alone at Christmas.

Another possible difficulty is the fact that as most are aware, there is slim enough profit margins in this game as it is, if the locums would envisage equivalent pay hikes for temp work as to what dentists and doctors earn, I believe many would find work scarce. Additionally, when our guys go on leave the new boys get a look in for relief work and when the regulars get back the newbies can still help out, morale stays high any everyone is happy.

Like I said, there is no doubt a place for this sort of work, but I can't see my boss taking it on board at this stage.

If it does come up though, I may look at it myslef. I love meeting new teachers and nurses..........
:=

Wille

robair
10th Feb 2003, 00:13
:rolleyes: Sounds like a good Idea to me. Lets look into it.