PDA

View Full Version : VORTRACK for CPL

Tee
5th Feb 2003, 21:18
Any views on the VORTRACK navigation system and particularly on using it for the CPL? I've heard differing opinions on this one.

Flypuppy
5th Feb 2003, 22:01
I found it very very useful. I would recommend it,some people find the studs you have to attach to the map a bit of an issue. I didnt find this to be a big problem, it was just my crap flying and useless navigation that was the problem.

foghorn
6th Feb 2003, 12:50
I used it without the studs on my CPL. I found it very useful. I think it is up to examiner whether you can use it or not, so be prepared for them saying no.

Didn't stop me from partialling my first test by getting lost on the simulated IMC leg :}

Go-Around
6th Feb 2003, 13:24
It was pretty much standard equipment where I trained, very useful on the IMC diversion. No good when it falls in between the pedals though!
Make sure you've got a spare, or know how to do a diversion the old fashioned way.
GA

vicarofdibley
6th Feb 2003, 15:09
A bit of bluetack on the end of the arm works wonders. When on the IMC bit you only move it a couple of degrees so worth holding it in the previous position with said bluetack.

Another handy tip is to cut your chart down to the area within which you will be flying - i.e. Northern Chart, remove Ireland. Southern Chart - remove France.

Apart from being rather satisfying it does make manhandling the chart a lot easier.

dmdrewitt
6th Feb 2003, 15:16
I think the CPL test should be done the old fashioned way. Mental calculations and DR. The examiner wants to see your thought process, not messing round with gizmos on your map.

Gin Slinger
6th Feb 2003, 15:30
Deed reckoning is kinda tough when the screens come up for the unplanned IF diversion on the CPL GFT...

All VORTRACK arms do is to take the place of a ruler and protractor when plotting radials and distances when you're in simulated IMC.

parris50
6th Feb 2003, 15:59
I used VorTrak for my CPL skills test a couple of weeks ago and I would say that it's excellent. If you hace DME and your nav equipment on the plane gives you a direct reading of the radial you are on, then VorTrak gives you position very accurately and very easily and you only need one of the arms.

wobblyprop
7th Feb 2003, 10:35
There is nothing to stop you using it for the cpl test.

This is what i've been told by a CAA examiner at my flying club.

Bodie
8th Feb 2003, 22:42
I think the CPL test should be done the old fashioned way. Mental calculations and DR. The examiner wants to see your thought process, not messing round with gizmos on your map.

I see your point, but where do we stop? Should students time legs using the position of the sun/stars rather than a wrist watch?

Gizmos like VOR track don't really remove the though process IMHO, just as a wrist watch doesnt detract from leg times.

jsf
9th Feb 2003, 09:10
vicarofdibley dont be a plonker, if you start cutting your map up then you will no longer have a current and legal northern map! Any examiner who notices what you have done that will fail you, so it really isnt worth it.

Pub User
9th Feb 2003, 10:22
jsf

Why on Earth should cutting off pieces of map that you never intend using make it uncurrent and illegal?

I've been doing it since about 1984, and no one has ever suggested it's not legal, including various CAA examiners.

jsf
9th Feb 2003, 10:31
the map is only current and valid in the form it is issued in, I know for a fact that if you turn up for your IR with your map cut to pieces you would fail the section on carrying the full and correct documents in the aircraft, as is required for a public transport flight, the same goes for the CPL!

foghorn
10th Feb 2003, 09:58
Why not use a cut down map for navigating and keep a full map along with the Aerads and the aircraft documents?

dmdrewitt
10th Feb 2003, 10:10
Surely if you cut down a map, unless you leave the part saying "Edition 30" or whatever, it would be impossible to ascertain if it is the current edition....?