PDA

View Full Version : Florence

320JI
5th Feb 2003, 20:47
Can anyone recommend a not to expensive hotel in florence,italy as i am going there in two weeks. it needs to be in the middle and near the station as i am only going for one night.

Also does anybody have experience of the train from Pisa to Florence is it reliable etc etc

thanks

Departures Beckham
7th Feb 2003, 21:21
The trains aren't going to be anything special, I believe it's more or less a commuter service. The journey is about an hour, no need to reserve seats.

With regards to hotels, you may want to try putting a post in the Night Stop forum.

Xenia
11th Feb 2003, 16:00
How much were you looking to spend 320JI?
I can have a look and let you know if you give me an indication.
Ciao

320JI
13th Feb 2003, 22:14
X

Probably about 150 euro s or so. Thats if i get there i am relying on Ryanair!!!!

i would really like to know about the train between PISA and Florence as we are only there for two days and want to see both.

ta

Departures Beckham
14th Feb 2003, 08:32
Train schedules and fares are available on TrenItalia's website (http://www.trenitalia.com). I just checked and there are only a couple of Eurostar Italia's (Premier Trains) each day. These trains will be more comfortable than the regional trains and have air conditioning, but a seat reservation is required. Regional trains do not require reservations. If you have specific questions about the service you could try e-mailing [email protected] (Rail Europe) who are the US distributors. As long as you don't mention that you are not in the US they will be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

320JI
21st Feb 2003, 22:03
Have now completed said trip.

Both Florence and Pisa very nice if a little cold

Trains between locations on time....cheap and clean

Ryan air....wait for it....on time, cheap ,and very clean (brand new 737-800) No complaints at all. £140 with tax for two return

They should allocate seats though as the chaos created by the rush as soon as the incoming flight lands was the most stressful part of the two days. Surely it cant be too hard to allocate a seat on check in or am i being naive.

Thanks for your comments though

Regards

atco-matic
26th Feb 2003, 20:45
yeh i dont really understand why Ryanair can't issue you with a sequence number the moment you book, whcih you would then have to print out and take with you to the airport. They then call boarding by sequence number. That might also have the effect of encouraging people to book earlier so they get a better seat.

Departures Beckham
26th Feb 2003, 22:21
Atco: the majority of people no longer bring their complete printed itinerary with them to check-in, it's ususally just their booking reference number on a scrap of paper or saved as a text-message in their phone.

320JI
27th Feb 2003, 20:44
All

The thing is they state they will book by order of checking in........At stanstead they just completly ignored this and there was a massive bundle for the gate and in Florence they just split 1-69 and the rest into two gates next to each other....i didn t care as i got my exit asile both ways but it certainly was the most stressful part of the two days and it seems to me could be completely avoided.....still they are only minor points and when alls said and done theres no way i could have done that trip even a couple of years ago at that price....so long live ryanair!!

Off to salzburg in a couple of weeks...perhaps i'm pushing it

320;)