PDA

View Full Version : Trans Tasman Agreement

Dances_With_Clouds
5th Feb 2003, 18:31
Hey all, I know this question has probably come up many times before, but I am going to go ahead and ask it any way.

Does anyone have any information on NZ CPL's converting to Aussie CPL's then doing the Aussie ATPL paperwork, and getting ATPL, then converting to NZ ATPL? Can all the exams be done by correspondance or do you have to go to Aussie to do them?

I hear it is possible to do it this way but is not looked on to well by NZ CAA.

I also hear that the CAA is looking at stopping this from happening due to several major differences in the curriclum. Is anyone aware of when this may happen?

compressor stall
6th Feb 2003, 04:31
Dont know for sure how it works NZ to Aussie, but I sent away NZ$110 to the CAA and they mailed me a NZATPL and Instrument rating.

My understanding of the TTMA is that ANY trade or qualification recognised and accredited in either country must be either converted or recognised in the other without undergoing further training.

Sqwark2000
8th Feb 2003, 03:31
Don't have any first hand experience to talk of, but know of at least 2 fella's who have done your proposed route to NZ ATPL, but I believe they both went to OZ for a 5 week course as opposed to doing it by correspondance. Have heard someone saying that you can self-study for the theory but exams have to be sat in OZ.

The TTMA will only convert "complete" licences/ratings, so convert your NZ CPL to OZ CPL, complete OZ ATPL theory and have OZ ATPL issued, then convert back to NZ ATPL.

There have been previous threads about how some major operators don't recognise the shortcut method i.e US ATPL convert to OZ ATPL so be aware I suppose about your proposed method.

S2K