PDA

View Full Version : Ab-initio vs. modular training

perrepilot
5th Feb 2003, 15:02
Hello!
What type of training would you recomend: ab-initio or modular training?

PP

BN2A
5th Feb 2003, 15:05
Ab-initio.

Intensive training makes in stick in the old brainbox..
Worked for me anyway..

:cool:

rocafellascunk
5th Feb 2003, 15:36
You might soon get some very annoyed responses to this question. Probably the most done to death question in the wannabes section.
A search using the keywords "modular versus integrated"will get you several answers to your question.
Good luck
R

Send Clowns
5th Feb 2003, 20:05
No reason modular training cannot be used ab initio perrepilot, and no reason modular cannot be intensive BN2A.

perrepilot
6th Feb 2003, 20:34
okay I'll do that search:)

thanks for your answers anyway :D

Fly high!!
PP

FlyingForFun
7th Feb 2003, 10:32
Agree with Send Clowns. Modular can be as intensive or un-intensive as you like. At least you have the choice, unlike with an integrated course. Also can be done for a much lower price.

Advantages of integrated are that everything is arranged for you, you don't have to plan each stage seperately, find a school for each stage, figure out which stage to do next etc. Which obviously suits sponsers perfectly, but the benefits aren't as relevant to self-funded students. There are arguments about employers prefering integrated students, and I don't doubt that there are a small number of employers who do, but they seem to be very few and far between (unlike the old CAA "approved" integrated course) so I'd ignore that argument.

Personally, I can't see much reason for a self-funded student to follow the integrated route. But I know that there are those who have, and who are very happy they made that choice. It was obviously the right choice for them, so it certainly shouldn't be discounted.

FFF
-------------

perrepilot
7th Feb 2003, 13:18
there's one thing about the ab-initio training that worries me, and that is that people get jobs after let's say 250 flight hours. I think that's not enough experience to fly an airliner (and I mean EXPERIENCE, not qualification). People with modular training would've got more experience from wicked flight situations.

Any other views on this matter??

:cool:
PP

D McQuire
8th Feb 2003, 10:41
Well I don´t like to point out the obvious but less than 250 hours of training ab-initio has been accepted as the norm for BA, Aer Lingus, BMI, etc, etc.... OK you probably have more chance of winning the lottery than becoming a sponsored cadet with these airlines (when they are actually recruiting) but the training is the same.

0 hours to 200ish followed by line training followed by RHS.

VFE
8th Feb 2003, 17:14
Hi folks,

It should come down to money, circumstance and personal taste as to whether you go modular or integrated.

The phenomenon of some employers prefering integrated students over modular is however, more predominant than most on modular courses would care to admit.

VFE.

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Feb 2003, 17:32
In the current condition I say Modular has the advantage. In the good hiring times Integrated has the advantage.

The quality, dedication and interview technique of the individual however far outweigh route considerations at all times.

clear prop!!!
8th Feb 2003, 18:53
You pays your money and you takes your choice!

The one thing that is certain on this subject is the modular guys will vote modular and the integrated guys will vote integrated …nothing changes.

There are good points for both… and both are good. A lot depends on your personal circumstances AND…finances.

However, WWW is right. Things at the moment probably favor the modular student, who has the ability to ‘pace’ their training.

Nobody is being hired right now with a couple of hundred hours.
OK, there may be the 'odd' exception, but the airlines can pick and choose… and they are.

It’s guys with a 1,000 plus hours whose phones are ringing, and that IS starting to happen.

Now, the modular route does allow you to build hours instructing and the like, …just like things used to be. The other advantage is that you can spread the costs. Your IR can wait a a while while you instruct, build up hours, become a better pilot, and are ready when the market comes back to full strength,. which it will. That way your money ain’t spent all in one huge burst and your IR will be a LOT easier with some more hours under your belt.

Anyway, that’s my view, but no doubt, the guys who have forked out 60k on integrated courses will have a different view.

Thing is, both have their advantages.

Good luck
:D

Gazeem
9th Feb 2003, 23:27
After the pub post...should know better but who cares?

Integrated vs Modular

a. Money. Modular cost circa £30k integrated costs £50k+ plus one year's out of work living expenses (say 70-80k).

b. historical bias. Pre JAR Integrated 509 courses were vastly diffferent to the old self improver route. JAR...not a great deal of difference exists between modular and integrated.

c. Flying school press. The integrated schools want you to believe the hype that you can only get a job after their course.

d. Peer group. On integrated courses you have a class of say 15-30 who are together for over a year and stay in touch post course..so got a job stories are more prolific than the modular guys who attend a few varied courses and stay in contact less people.

If it helps .. i am modular and know a couple of low hours guys who have been hired in the last few months from a modular background.