PDA

View Full Version : Self sponsored.....or not???

andreas777
26th Mar 2001, 23:33
Hi all,

I have read with interst some of the remarks about OATS in previous posts, some more reassuring then others....

However, as I read/hear a lot lately about airline sponsored cadets, I would like to know how it looks out there for self-sponsored people. I want to start training in the autumn of this year (will be 18 yrs old) and will be fully sponsored by my father. What I would like to know is the availibilty of work for a self-sponsored cadet just finishing training and therefore with only his training hours in the logbook....

Coming back to OATS, do they assist you in any way after graduation as to getting an airline job????? If not, should one anticipate a hard time landing one???? Or are there lots of jobs available (as I read averywhere)???

Finally, I am also looking at attending the Air Transport Opereations course at City University (London) .... it last 3 years and includes flight training at OATS or Cabair (second year). Is this a good idea, or is iot better to get the ATPL and a job first and then if you stilll want to, attend some kind of course????? because i hear that airlines are now hiring and that it in 3 years they might not be anymore......

Any and all comments are welcome....

Sincerely,

Andreas Poels
Barcelona, Spain
[email protected]

Dhlawrence
27th Mar 2001, 04:49
It looks great out there for self-sponsored AND for sponsored. Seems you are fortunate enough to have the choice, with your father willing to place the investment.

Why not go for sponsorship? You have good backup options, could save your old man money into the bargain. Failing a result, the degree is definitely the goal to go for. Remember also it may only be for a few more years they take people without one. Also the air training providers are of a good standard, so in the long term you can only benefit.

...Don't think the recruitment situation will change that rapidly (3 years)..Besides, for all the airline slots getting filled, people are needed further down the chain.

The extra years at uni will come in handy come the interviews as well...

Lauraskybaby
28th Mar 2001, 00:55
I am on the Air Transport Operations course at CU and would certainly recommend it I'm due to start at OATS in July and the way I (and the other 4 guys on this years course) see it is that you're only really spending one extra year to get a degree.

You're going to end up at OATS anyway so you may as well make it part of the degree. The flight school bit is in the second year and you can apply for a job straight after. Whether you get one or not, you can still finish the degree since it can be done modular.

At the end of the day, I think it's worth spending the extra year with like-minded people, getting a relevant degree for an airline pilots job, living the university life and attending lectures all about planes, flying, meeting pilots etc, etc. Plus getting an ATPL!

What could be better? It obviously won't guarantee you a job...and it'll be just as tough to get an interview as the next Joe Bloggs with an ATPL, but it's still an extra string to the violin...and believe me - it's the best degree in the world!!!!

Going Around & Around
28th Mar 2001, 03:35
Guys,

Love the enthusiasm! I'd say "great" is just a bit optimistic. There are jobs around, but it isn't that easy to get them with low experience and it will probably take most people months (sometimes years) rather than weeks for that first job. And personally, I think, that 3 years is quite a long time in aviation. If that sounds pessimistic, sorry, just trying to give a more realistic view!

On a more positive note, you may as well do the degree. It can only do you good - will probably help you with the course, look good on the CV and may help you get that interview! (I have a degree in Aerospace Eng and I think that helped, so Air Transport Ops must!) And Uni, IMHO is far too much fun to be missed, as well as giving you a bit of life experience!
Finally, I doubt there are many students who would give their degree such a glowing review as Lauraskybaby, so I would say go for it!
(Have a crack at the sponsorship first though!)

Hope that didn't burst the bubble!
All the best

[This message has been edited by Going Around & Around (edited 27 March 2001).]