PDA

View Full Version : Helping people help you.

25F
5th Feb 2003, 04:49
When posting techie questions here, try to post as much relevant information as you can. In particular for software problems post which programs you are using and which version, and on which operating system. (And don't assume that everybody in the world uses Outlook Express!) For hardware problems give make, model, BIOS screen information, etc. For network problems, who your provider is, whether you are on ADSL, cable, 56K, etc. Give the results of any diagnostics you have done so far. And do say "yes, I've tried rebooting".

Without this info it is very hard to help. Imagine someone on Tech Log asking about, say, approach speeds, without saying which aircraft they fly. Or something, I am not a pilot.

I am an IT professional with an interest in aviation, and I've been reading pprune on and off for about three years now. Everyone now and then I try to put something back into the site by coming "down here" and trying to help people with IT queries. So help me to help you!

flapsforty
5th Feb 2003, 11:47
Everyone now and then I try to put something back into the site by coming "down here" and trying to help people with IT queries

25F, what a thoroughly nice thought! :ok:

18-Wheeler
5th Feb 2003, 13:39
(And don't assume that everybody in the world uses Outlook Express!)

Ha!
I would doubt the vailidity of that, since the people that don't use Outlook don't have problems.

(just kidding)

25F
6th Feb 2003, 06:54
Me, nice? Nahh... I learn something while I'm at it, and who knows, somebody might offer me some paid work one day! (Here's hoping...)

25F
9th Feb 2003, 22:42
The acronyms may help but if you really want to talk on equal terms with a geek it is essential to learn the difference between "f**ked* and "b***ered". One (the b-word) is fixable, the other is not.

What_does_this_button_do?
9th Feb 2003, 23:43
I like RTFM. Works in the majority of cases.

redsnail
10th Feb 2003, 23:56
Or, have you tried the power switch?
Or, is it plugged in?

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
11th Feb 2003, 12:42
I thank-you :D