PDA

View Full Version : Is the SAAF chopper deal smelling ?

Gunship
5th Feb 2003, 04:29
Cape Town - Agusta Helicopters denied on Tuesday that count Riccardo Agusta, who allegedly donated money to the New National Party (NNP) in exchange for the rights to develop a golf course near Plettenberg Bay, had any links with the company or government's controversial arms deal.

The Italian company's South African representative, Patrick Chabrat, said Agusta's grandfather had been the founder of the company. Later, his father was president of the company, but sold it to the Italian government about 15 years ago.

Over the weekend, the Democratic Alliance (DA) linked the company with the R60 billion arms transaction. DA MP Raenette Taljaard said that if allegations of bribery were true, it raised serious questions about the granting of the helicopter contract.

In 1998, the government awarded Agusta Helicopters a R1.9 billion contract to deliver 30 light helicopters as part of the arms deal.

Chabrat said he was unhappy about the allegations, but was not considering legal action at this stage.

'We only respond to facts'

Earlier, Sam Mkhwanazi, a spokesperson for the ministry of defence, said he did not know whether Augusta had any association with the company that is scheduled to deliver the first of the helicopters this year.

"We only react to facts and not assumptions," he said in reaction to the DA's allegations.

Taljaard said that during the investigations into the arms deal, other bidders for the helicopter contract, specifically Bell Helicopters from the US, made serious allegations about irregularities that occurred when the contract was awarded.

The DA wants the government to put their cards on the table as far as the procurement of the helicopters was concerned and to assure the public that no bribes were involved that could have influenced the granting of the contract.

"The joint investigating team virtually overlooked these allegations. One can only wonder whether the NNP was the only party that benefited from Palazzolo and Agusta's apparent generosity," Taljaard said

B Sousa
5th Feb 2003, 10:18
From the other side of the pond its hard to understand that while folks are starving and dieing of aids why SA needs a sh*tpot full of Helicopters and Submarines etc?. I mean to they really believe that after Saddam, that George W is considering an Invasion of SA....??

BAKELA
5th Feb 2003, 10:49
That's what our Honorable Minister of Health said to a newspaper reporter (in the UK I think) - SA needs submarines to protect us from guys like Bush.

:)

Gunship
8th Feb 2003, 07:38
But BAKELA bru is that not true ? :8 ?

Gunship
11th Feb 2003, 15:32
Sorry a long one tried to shorten it ... but will not work out ;)

Wealthy Italian businessman Count Riccardo Agusta says his two donations of R300 000 and R100 000 to the New National Party were to be used for "the benefit of impoverished people in the Western Cape".

In an affidavit to the Cape High Court, he said he found it "most regrettable" that his "gesture of goodwill" had been "misrepresented and perverted as bribery", and that it had become the subject of a criminal investigation.

"I certainly hope that the investigation will be concluded swiftly so that the truth will be confirmed once and for all."

Criminal charges in respect of the two donations, made to the NNP via former Western Cape premier Peter Marais and former Environment and Planning MEC David Malatsi, are being investigated by the Scorpions at the instigation of both current premier Marthinus van Schalkwyk and the Democratic Alliance.

'I probably donate in excess of R1-million to charity each year'
Marais and Malatsi have also been suspended from the NNP, pending a disciplinary hearing next week.

Agusta's affidavit, which was unsigned, was one of four submitted in reply to an application by acting Western Cape Environment and Planning MEC Johan Gelderblom for an urgent interdict to stop all work on the R750 million Roodefontein golf estate at Plettenberg Bay.

It is understood this affidavit and others will be signed this week.

If successful, the interdict will halt work pending a second High Court application to review and rescind the decision to approve the development, taken in controversial circumstances by Malatsi, Gelderblom's predecessor, last year.

The interdict application is due to be heard next Thursday.

'I make no apology for these actions'
The respondent in the action is Count Agusta Golf & Equestrian Estate (Pty) Ltd, a company that until late last year was solely owned by the eldest son of alleged Mafia boss Vito Palazzolo.

Agusta does not refer to the ownership of the company in his affidavit.

The 52-year-old Agusta, a helicopter company heir who lives in Monte Carlo but also spends time at his Franschhoek farm, said he had drawn up his affidavit while visiting New Zealand for the Americas Cup yacht race.

In the affidavit he said he had substantial business interests in various countries, including South Africa.

"As a businessman, it has given me much pleasure over the years to support worthy causes. I probably donate in excess of R1-million to charity each year."

During a visit to South Africa last April, he spent time at Roodefontein.

While there, his agent Robert Browning told him that a site visit by Malatsi, accompanied by Marais, had been set up.

"During the visit by the Western Cape ministers, as a gesture of hospitality, I invited Messrs Marais and Malatsi to accompany me on a helicopter survey of the farm (Roodefontein).

"Not only did they accept this invitation, but also my subsequent suggestion that we fly to George for an aerial look at my farming interests there.

"Flying over a shanty town in the George area, Mr Marais informed me of the plight and suffering of the people living there.

"He added that the terrible fate of these people was only the tip of the iceberg, as there were many more people in the province who lived in appalling conditions.

"Moved by Mr Marais's profound account of human beings living in inhuman circumstances, I volunteered to make a donation towards a worthy cause in the Western Cape."

About a week later, Marais contacted him by phone and took him up on his offer, Agusta said.

On April 17 the NNP faxed him its bank details "in order for me to effect my promised donation".

"I transferred the money to the NNP from my personal account and it was not a payment made by any of my companies as seems to have been suggested.

"On the understanding that my donation would be utilised for the benefit of impoverished people in the Western Cape, I transferred R300 000 from my personal bank account into an account of the New National Party on April 18 2002.

"On April 19, 2002 I also issued a cheque in the amount of R100 000 in favour of the New National Party, again under the impression that the money was earmarked to support a deserving cause."

Agusta said he had then gone overseas, returning in October to celebrate his birthday.

"These donations were made in addition to numerous others which I regularly make worldwide in an effort to lessen the plight of destitute people but which I prefer not to broadcast.

"My offer to Mr Marais and eventual donations were made in good faith and I make no apology for these actions."

Agusta concluded his affidavit by saying he was "quite fond" of South Africa and the Western Cape.

"Also, its business potential excites me.

"For these reasons, it gives me much pleasure to invest millions of rands in the area, to contribute meaningfully to unleashing its amazing potential and, in the process, to create thousands of job opportunities thereby changing the fortunes of those in despair."