PDA

View Full Version : OATS-AP 210

EICAS-GP
26th Mar 2001, 15:43
Hi,

Is anyone else starting AP 210 on 27 April, and who wants to share accom.??
Also, am I right in saying that AP209 has been merged into 210?

Cheers!

GP

Hap
26th Mar 2001, 15:58
My plan is to have a few weeks "on site" then move out to somewhere else. I'm not at all familiar with the Oxford area so I thought I'd use the time to suss the whole place out a bit.... Do you know anywhere good?

And yes, according to another thread here, it seems that ap209 has merged with ap210.

Hap

EICAS-GP
26th Mar 2001, 16:46
Hap,

Can you drop me an e-mail.
I tried to get your address but no joy!

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by EICAS-GP (edited 26 March 2001).]

er82
26th Mar 2001, 20:04
I am currently at OATS, and I am a self-sponsored student. The best thing to do is live on site for the first couple of weeks while you get to know everyone, and get settled on the course. Then look for a place to live. The best areas are Woodstock (not far from the airfield, a few good pubs and restaurants, and a number of other students living there), or Kidlington.

If you want to know anything else about the course, ask away! I am 6 months into the course, and could probably give you a few helpful hints!

Harves
26th Mar 2001, 20:15
er82,

You may well regret this offer.

Just a quick question ha ha. What made you choose OATS. I am one step way from signing with BAe, but it has been a tough decision between OATS and BAe and God I want to get it right.

I am not expecting a long essay, but very interested in what you considered when chosing your school. And of course, I have to ask, any regrets?

Good luck and Thank you in advance.

Mister Geezer
26th Mar 2001, 20:16
I am starting on AP 210 as well. I was originally set to start on AP 209 however I heard that they did not have enough demand for that course. Therefore I was put back a few weeks onto the next course.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

MG

------------------
Don't land in a field or the sheep will eat the aircraft.

[This message has been edited by Mister Geezer (edited 26 March 2001).]

Hap
26th Mar 2001, 20:17
Thanks for the tips, er82.

What are the rents like in that sort of area?

er82
27th Mar 2001, 11:24
What made me choose OATS?? Good question now I think about it!! No, it's a pretty good school. Groundschool teaching is great, flying instruction not too bad!

It isn't always true about self-sponsored being pushed to the back to allow sponsored students to have priority. If you are pushy enough, you will be carried along with the sponsored lot.

Any regrets? None that I can think of at the moment.

Rent prices : you can expect to pay anything between £700 - £1100 for a 4-bedroom house per month. Which is a lot cheaper than school accommodation. You just have to look around and find what suits you best.

Look forward to seeing you all here!

Harves
27th Mar 2001, 11:31
Cheers er82

Outtheway!
27th Mar 2001, 22:42
I am also currently a student at Oxford and am at the moment 5 weeks away from my phase one JARS.

The only problem being is the 19 weeks of continuous ground school, when I got here, having just been told that the course profile had been changed and I would be spending all that time in Oxford and not gong to the states after the first month as planned, me and a few guys from my course were trying to find a house with no luck. My advice is to find somewhere to live long before you arrive!

Otherwise you could be spending very large sums of money on accomodation on-site like I had to (somewhere in the region of £800 a month for a small room and meals)

[This message has been edited by Outtheway! (edited 27 March 2001).]

EICAS-GP
28th Mar 2001, 15:26
Outtheway,

Thanks for the advice.
What is the work load for the 19 weeks like? Is doing half the exams in one go a good thing, or is flying a desk for that long really hard work ? Is there any work I can do beforehand to help with the groundschool?
If you could drop me an e-mail, I would really appreciate it!

Good Luck in the Exams!

EICAS

er82
28th Mar 2001, 16:30
I'm not doing the 19 weeks of continuous groundschool. I am doing the old-style of 4 weeks at Oxford, then two months in America, and then integrated flying and groundschool before a slog of full-time gorundschool before JARS. The work-load whatever your course style is large. Start working from the moment you start!! There is nothing you can do before you get here, just be prepared for excessive mental stimulation!

We had no problems finding a house. There are a few around. And there are always other students leaving their accommodation which you can then take over.

Good Luck anyway. Get ready for 14 months of hell!!