PDA

View Full Version : Disk defragmentation

BMM389EC
4th Feb 2003, 17:13
I regularly have to defragment the D drive on my computer. I'll defrag it and then sometimes later in the same day it will say it is 20%(or whatever) defraged and I must run disc defrag. Any ideas. C drive always comes up 0%.

25F
5th Feb 2003, 03:24
More info! What OS are you using? How big / and how full is the C: drive? Same for D:.
What is "it" that says it must be defragged?

My guess at this stage is that D: is very full and is being used for the swap file. What are the Virtual memory settings?

BMM389EC
6th Feb 2003, 19:51
Hello
I'm not too clued up on computers so please bear with me!
Not sure what you mean by OS? Windows 95 if that is what OS is?
C drive is 1.58 GB and is 72% full. D drive is 406MB and is 0.5% full.
"It" is when I go to :
"start menu-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Defragmanter
Not sure what you mean by Virtual Memory Settings?

Bigears
11th Feb 2003, 17:35
Hi BMM389EC, I see that 25 F hasn't replied, so you'll have to do with me (only just above your level of clued-up-ness :rolleyes: )

In Control Panel, look at 'system'. Somewhere around there it will mention 'virtual Memory'. Make sure that the settings are such that the VM is set by the PC, and not by you.
I suggest you move some files onto the D Drive and delete any rubbish (esp. programs not used). Although you have to pay, I find Window Washer very good at deleting temp files. Make copies of anything you would need if they were to be accidentally erased.
Not meaning to be rude, but unless the pc is just for 'surfing' and typing, then you'll need to upgrade soon.
Disclaimer: All the above is meant in good faith, but if it goes 'tits up' then don't blame me- although you won't be able to anyway :p

BMM389EC
12th Feb 2003, 16:51
Thanks Bigears
Will try it out and see. Yes! This computer comes out the ark But at this stage I am only using it for the things you mentioned! Thanks for the help! :)

25F
14th Feb 2003, 02:17
Sorry, BMM, I missed your earlier reply, somehow.
Yes, by OS I mean "Operating System", i.e. Windows 95 in your case.
It looks to me that there is no problem: if your D: drive is 99% empty it's not going to need defragmenting. Quite why the Defrag tool thinks it does is a question for Mr. Gates.
Bigears - a lot of people recommend setting your own VM up to be a fixed size. In this case, it ain't broke and I wouldn't try to fix it.

Bigears
21st Feb 2003, 03:10
Hi 25F, I'm a relative novice at these things, hence the disclaimer I put on my post to BMM389EC :eek:
Although the advice I gave might have sounded a complete load of b0ll0cks to you, it was meant in good faith- honest :O

BMM389EC, hope that your lack of posting doesnt mean I've c0cked it up for you :(

25F
21st Feb 2003, 15:58
Bigears,
No, it wasn't bad advice... for novices it's probably best to leave VM alone, if it doesn't appear to be causing a problem. Here's more on the subject:
http://plynch.sphere.org/mysql/mysql_perms.html

Bigears
21st Feb 2003, 16:23
I don't want to appear ungrateful, but are you sure thats the right link? :confused: