PDA

View Full Version : jetmagic - new Cork carrier

no, no, no
4th Feb 2003, 16:26
Heard that a new carrier is to be announced tomorrow - jetmagic - with ERJ145 operations out of Cork to Belfast, Paris, Brussels, Edinburgh and possible others this Spring....... Also heard that they are interested in LCY but not sure if the aircraft could land without a parachute on the back........

They seem to be an off-spring of Ricky Lake of Eastern Airways.... son't know if the 2 airlines will be involbed with each other though. Mr Foley, previously of EI is also rumoured to be involved.

A new operation with Embraers (which arent' cheap to operate or maintain) seems a bit of a strange one though and don't know how long they will be in existance.....

www.jetmagic.com (nothing on yet though - just a promo about how they will redefine the term air-travel (haven't I heard that before.......)

Buster the Bear
4th Feb 2003, 18:09
Now it would be magic if they came to Luton!

mcdonnellluke
5th Feb 2003, 20:11
Hello
It's been annonnced that CSA are to commence a 4X weekly ORK-PRG service
Luke

Aircraft_Nut9
6th Feb 2003, 16:45
A little more information here

http://www.onbusiness.ie/2003/0206/jetmagic.html

Based on RJ135 with 37 passenger capacity.

Hope it works out well for all involved.

:D

brabazon
19th Feb 2003, 08:45
Buster

Sorry to possibly disappoint you, but they seem to be focussing on business oriented markets and ideally on that basis they'd want to go to London City. So the big question is when will the ERJ135 be cleared for LCY?

Aircraft_Nut9
13th Mar 2003, 15:49
Jetmagic first flights on five routes to start April 28. Full story here

http://www.onbusiness.ie/2003/0313/jetmagic.html

:D

no, no, no
13th Mar 2003, 16:09
Barcelona and Nice? They're brave on the ERj!!!

Does anyone know which airports they will fly to (ie is it Girona or Barcelona, and Belfast City or Int'l?)

virginblue
13th Mar 2003, 17:25
Excuse my stupidity, but since when is the ERJ135 certified for London City.... To the best of my knowledge, the only jets certified are the BAe 146s/RJs and the Fokker 70 - and I have serious doubts that in the case of the ERJ135 it is only a question of paperwork.....

Tom the Tenor
13th Mar 2003, 20:13
Three cheers to Jet Magic in announcing their new routes. Should do really well with nearly all of those new routes. Barcelona and Nice are sure winners! They are brave indeed in trying out Belfast again but you never know. BA use EMB-145s from Manchester to Nice and to Warsaw so no problem there.

MerchantVenturer
13th Mar 2003, 21:23
BA Citiexpress uses ERJ 145s to Munich and Frankfurt as well.

dr yes
14th Mar 2003, 08:33
Legacy already approved for LCY, so no problem for EMB135.

Good Luck, Jetmagic. You should do very well.

WHBM
14th Mar 2003, 09:30
The Legacy is not actually shown on the LCY website list of approved aircraft, which is here:

http://www.lcacc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/aircraft/index.html

virginblue
14th Mar 2003, 10:39
Errr. the performance data for the ERJ135 is:

Performance
Maximum cruise speed 833km/h
Service ceiling 11,275m
Service ceiling, one engine inoperable 6,100m
Take-off run 1,700m
Landing run 1,360m

(LCY also requires a 5.5° descent angle insted of 3°)

If the take-off run is 1,700m and the runway length at the moment is approx 1.300m incl. starter strips, I see a problem even taking minimum fuel load etc. into account

huw stunn
14th Mar 2003, 13:52
Looks like the ERJ135 will need floats for LCY then !

Not suprised that they were expecting the aircraft to operate to LCY as adding up was never Patrick Raftery's strong point.

But he could sell coconuts to the Africans, so the aircraft will be full as it goes off the end.

Good luck Pat

brabazon
14th Mar 2003, 16:11
Are you sure about the Embraer Legacy/135 being cleared for LCY, I can't see either on this list:

http://www.lcacc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/operations/#Permitted

expedite_climb
14th Mar 2003, 16:51
no, no, no,

Whats your source re Mr Foley ?? Is he leaving lime green city now scary spice has gone ?

Konkordski
14th Mar 2003, 16:57
ATI says that ERJ-135 will be certified in time for LCY ops.

virginblue
14th Mar 2003, 21:29
aaaah, rocket boosters I suppose. :confused: what load penalties will it have :eek:

glynn-kayes
15th Mar 2003, 01:34
if its anything to do with eastern then surely their belfast airport would be intl,as eastern already fly into there.....but after all when bacx pull out of co down airport lock stock and barrell and flybe cut even more services and then eventually pull out of northern ireland there will be lots of room on the ramp for any stupid outfit who think they can take on the big boys up at international, then roll on the day when co down airport is turned into a b and q warehouse <after all its about all its f@@@ing fit for>mines the jaguar on the right

Tower Ranger
16th Mar 2003, 15:03
Hi G.K.
Your spelling is coming on a treat, well done! Jetmagic are flying out of the city starting on 28th April. I was up at Easygrove just last week but only saw one plane , must have been that quiet three hour period int mornin!!!
Thank goodness for Charter flights eh ?

WHBM
16th Mar 2003, 21:44
The timetable is on the website now, with a few surprises.

Seeing as I live next to LCY, and next week I am trudging over to Heathrow for a trip to Cork for 2 days (I'll see what JetMagic advertising is about when I get there), you would expect me to be one of their supporters. And I would like to be, but I wonder if I will get to try it.

"A choice of morning and evening flights to and from key European business cities everyday of the working week."

Well, aircraft number 1 starts on 28 April, making two round trips to Belfast and two to Brussels on weekdays. The morning Belfast flight leaves exceptionally early, at 06.00, but when it gets back and does the Brussels, it does not arrive there until after 12 noon. The evening Brussels gets back at 23.00. Not very popular business timings. The aircraft seems to lay over at Cork airport for 4 1/2 hours in the afternoon. I guess they can get some crew training done.

Aircraft number 2 starts on 30 June to London City, just in time for the midsummer lull in business traffic there. You have to go into the fine detail of the timetable to find it is not starting on 28 April. The morning flight get going surprisingly late at 08.25 and doesn't get back into Cork until 11.15, which means no business meetings there for me until after lunch. As Ryanair do not outstation an aircraft in Cork they cannot offer an early morning business flight from there; an opportunity missed.

This aircraft also does midday flights to either LCY again, or Barcelona (on Wednesdays) or Nice (on Thursdays). So much for that quote above about twice daily flights to key business cities. These Mediterranean flights start on 28 May so they will need a second aircraft for a month just to do 2 trips a week.

The Nice Thursday timings in the timetable are quite wrong and should have been proof-read better (they are correct on the booking system).

The website describes the Emb-135 as Rolls Royce powered. I thought the engines were Allisons, but stand to be corrected by those who fly them.

Has anyone heard how the Emb-135 is going through the London City certification programme?

eastern wiseguy
16th Mar 2003, 22:39
hey Tower!! habla espagnol?...whats Spanish for I see that BACX are pulling out and BE are reducing the Gatwick and London City services?Or look out!!! mind the Midlan.......too late !!!!:eek:AND THE OTHER ONE....d'ohh!.....:eek: At least with the summer coming on you won't NEED to de ice the runway ....:yuk:
I hope that the Cork mob survive....but no one has done so yet into Bhd....ho hum
Finished with rant

Cyrano
17th Mar 2003, 10:35
Jetmagic chasing ERJ-135 certification for London City
David Kaminski-Morrow, London (14Mar03, 17:32 GMT, 295 words)

Certification of the Embraer ERJ-135 regional aircraft for operations into London City Airport is expected within the next few weeks as start-up Irish operator Jetmagic seeks to use the type for its planned Cork-London City service.

Efforts to approve the aircraft for flights at the city-centre airport – which has specific operational restrictions owing to its steep 5.5° glideslope and short runway – lapsed after interest in obtaining the certification waned.

Regional operators Crossair, British Regional Airlines and Luxair had originally shown interest in using the aircraft at London City but this enthusiasm faded after data showed that the aircraft would have to operate with a restricted payload.

But Jetmagic says that the short sector length of its Cork-London route should not pose any payload problems for the carrier.

Jetmagic CEO Patrick Raftery says: “It’s only a one-hour flight and with the kind of passengers we’ll have, who won’t have much heavy baggage, there’ll be no payload restriction to Cork.”

The carrier is planning to start Cork-London City flights on 30 June. Raftery says: “That gives us just over three and a half months [to obtain certification]. This process has been going on for about six months already.”

He indicates that Jetmagic has included a degree of flexibility in its launch schedule and that the carrier might be prepared to advance its London City service if the certification process goes smoothly.

A spokesman for Brazilian manufacturer Embraer says: “We are definitely working on ERJ-135 certification into London City – but we have no firm date.”

London City is among five destinations unveiled by Jetmagic today as part of its initial route network from Cork. It plans to launch twice-daily services to Belfast City and Brussels on 28 April and weekend flights to Nice and Barcelona from 3 May.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

Press Button B
17th Mar 2003, 20:01
The timings are indeed not the best but typical for the first season of a start-up, with slots at LCY and the need to do three 'business timed' double daily services with just two aircraft in service delaying the optimal schedule from starting.

IMHO BHD should be around 0645 and LCY at 0700. BRU is problematic as it does not offer significant timing benefits over the existing EI option via Dublin for day return passengers other than being direct. Going via Dublin (0540 ORK-DUB connecting to 0700 DUB-BRU) gets you into BRU 90 minutes earlier than Jetmagic (0930 vs 1055) whilst the evening BRU-DUB connects with the 2215 EI flight from Dublin to Cork, getting into Cork about 10 minutes after the Embraer. Jetmagic's schedule suits afternoon business in Brussels whereas EI will suit morning (city centre by 1030)/all day meetings, albeit with the hassle of connecting services.

Later seasons may see an improvement in the slots for when the next aircraft arrives (they are getting 3, aren't they?).

the wheel
24th Mar 2003, 11:43
The engines on the ERJ are RR/Allison but RR carry out support maintenance packages

Chillwinston
25th Mar 2003, 10:24
Can anyone explain the link between Richard Lake of Eastern and Jet Magic?

WHBM
29th Mar 2003, 03:47
Went through ORK on 24-26 March. Didn't notice any evidence of Jet Magic's arrival anywhere except in the "Cork Business News", laid out in the Great Southern hotel at the airport, which had a paragraph about the charity flight bing organised at the time of the inaugural flight.

As the article didn't mention anything about Jet Magic in terms of destinations, new services, or anything else, the PR agency responsible seems to have missed the point somewhat ....