PDA

View Full Version : How safe is Rome?

Man-on-the-fence
4th Feb 2003, 12:55
The family Fence is off to Rome at the beginning of March for a dirty.. sorry Romantic weekend.

I have just bought an all singing all dancing Digital SLR and I am in a quandary about whether to take it or not. On one hand I want to be able to get great pictures of a beautiful City on the other hand I don’t want to be mugged for it.

I have travelled around London and the USA/Canada so I know the security in big city ropes, but I would appreciate any advice any Ppruners have with regards to security in Rome and bag snatching etc.

I will carry the camera strapped across my chest rather than just slung over my shoulder, and I will only have a bog standard lens on it.

As ever all wallets and cards etc will be in either a bum bag or a front pocket.

I have searched the on line travel guides but apart from a few lines in one about distraction theft there is not much information.

Any half gratefully received.

320JI
4th Feb 2003, 14:58
you should have no problem in rome.. one of the nicest cities i have ever been to. You will find members of the local consabulary on every corner virtually so felt very safe. they do say keep hold of your bag s etc when near a road cause the theives ride scooters.

one tip when crossing a road stand next to a local and just go when they do...the drivers tend to stop for them but not tourists

another tip never pay for a guided tour at any of the sites of interest. if you just go there and listen you will soon be able to join a free tour given by archeology and art students in the city in english. they give a free tour and then try to sell you tickets to a tour at another site. i soon learnt that when you go on to that other site (and you can walk to most of them) there will be plenty of other free tours there as well. All of them we did were excellent. Do not miss the pantheon.

have a good trip

Man-on-the-fence
5th Feb 2003, 07:45
Thanks 320

Mrs Fence has been before in the distant past. All the tips are very much appreciated

MOTF

zed3
5th Feb 2003, 08:38
Was there with Mrs Zed in March last year and had no problems , as stated above. One thing when you return to the airport to fly home, allow plenty of time to get to the airport if you are using the train. We sat on the train and sat and sat. It was eventually cancelled, in Italian and we were left . It took an hour to get a ticket refund and then a mad taxi dash arriving just an hour before takeoff! Not good for the blood pressure!

Crepello
5th Feb 2003, 13:03
My folks fell foul of the "what's that mark on your shirt?" trick in Rome last year. Losses were tolerable but they were furious at falling for such an old routine.

I've not 'done' Rome but as with anywhere crowded, you can be unlucky. Then again, petty crime's endemic in Amsterdam but in three years, I'd just one inept pickpocket and one inept ATM-scammer. Rumbled them both, very satisfying!

My advice: 1. Wear a moneybelt - bumbags & shoulderbags are easy pickings for strap-slashers. 2. Be wary of anyone on the street who tries to get your attention. 3. Make sure you're insured. 4. Have a good weekend!

Row 12F
5th Feb 2003, 16:36
Rome is where I had my pocket picked by a very well trained team of two, both looking like refugess from across the Adriatic. It was near the Colliseum and involved an opening remark, a newspaper pushed forward to cover a hand filching 200,000 lire from a jacket pocket whilst her companion, a young girl, pulled my sleeve to distract attention. All over very quickly and as most people would be reluctant to strike a woman or girl, almost unbeatable.

The older woman made off but the girl remained, pulling my sleeve for another 15 seconds, then scampered away. I discovered the missing money but luckily my passport, ticket and credit cards were untouched in other pockets. I shouted out, a passerby grabbed the girl and the police were called. I had to go to a police station with the girl so she could be searched by a policewoman. The girl sat in the back with me as the two policemen drove for 10 minutes at very great speed all over Rome, jumping lights and making dramatic U turns. She had no trace of money and was let go. I felt rather sorry for her.

My colleagues thought it a hoot that I had been done by two women and, all in all, the £60 was worth the mad siren-shrieking light-flashing car ride through Rome's Saturday traffic.

Since then, I wear a zippable bomber type jacket with internal zipped pockets etc instead of a loose, flapping blazer.

Good luck in Rome; it really is very beautiful. Italians tell me Florence is better - more compact and just as interesting.

Moneyshot
7th Feb 2003, 12:28
I had a similar experience in 93, exactly the same place and the same ruse. My wallet was in my front jeans pocket and I felt the young girl tugging at it so she didn't get it. I forgot, though that I'd left my lens cover in the same pocket and she got that and I didn't realise till later that it was missing, just a slight sickener. I sent her away with a kick up the jacksy.

Damsel
7th Feb 2003, 21:02
They are quick. My husband was on a Rome overnight a couple of months back. Met up with a QF buddy to see the sites.
I was at work in Australia (on a Sunday) when our Visa company rang to ask if my husband was in Rome, (I thought how clever they know his roster) anyway they tell me that they have just refused a credit card purchase of some considerable amount! Next minute husband rings and I tell him that yes I know he has had his wallet stolen. Not bad service from Visa, they were in touch before my husband. Lucky he only had a very small amount of cash and he had the internet credit card (only small limit). He always leaves the crew id etc at the hotel. Other than that he loves the place!

SLF
8th Feb 2003, 08:52
Was there with Mrs SLF a year ago, no problems except a "disagreement" with the Taxi driver who tried to charge me in Euros for 1/100 of the lire value. :(

Fortunately, was born the day before yesterday

bealine
8th Feb 2003, 14:42
Safe as most other cities..........

Watch out around the Spanish Steps area, the Trevi Fountain and the Colosseum - indeed most "touristy" areas! The moped louts are the worst, they carry a pillion rider who uses a tape cutter knife (Stanley knife) to cut through shoulder straps and make a quick grab!

Like most cities, keep your wits about you and you'll be fine!

Man-on-the-fence
9th Feb 2003, 18:15
Thanks for all the replies.

Our hotel is near the Trevi fountain so I will be a bit wary about taking the Camera out at night. I will also disguise it as a normal SLR as best I can, but I guess they go for those as well.

Any advice on the best way from the Airport (da Vinci) to the hotel and a rough guess as to how much is should cost by Taxi would be helpful. We are staying at the Acadamia.

Thanks once again

MOTF

Momo
11th Feb 2003, 20:08
According to my Italian colleagues today, pickpockets are a general issue in the touristy areas, just as they are in London and Paris. (If you are a Londoner, you are less likely to be a victim than if you are a tourist in London. According to a Paris newspaper I read recently, the main London trick with tourists is to take things from backpacks while they are still on the tourists' backs.) Drive-by shoulder-handbag snatching from scooters still has a certain reputation in Rome. During my one trip to Rome, I was walking with an Italian colleague (speaking English) when three Eastern-European teenage girls came up begging. While we were brushing them off, one reached inside my colleague's jacket. However, as he said, you have to get up very early in the morning to pull that one on an Italian.

Other than the pickpocket and purse-snatching issues, Rome is said to be one of the safest cities in Europe. It is safe to walk in most areas downtown at any time of the night. I would not hesitate to take my cameras there. I suppose I would remember to check their insurance...

Momo

Xenia
13th Feb 2003, 10:41
So far I stayed out of this topic as you all know it happens for me to be ... Italian :O
I must agree with all your responses, it depends where you go and yes, nowadays safety in all big cities is mainly the same..... U gotta watch out :ok:
Ciao ;)