PDA

View Full Version : Who is doing DL course at London Guildhall

RoosterBooster
4th Feb 2003, 11:04
Just wondering if there are any other peeps here that are doing the LGU correspondence course. So far how are you finding it? Do you use much of their facilities in the university? I got the most recent notes and they do seem to be a bit on the academic side i.e. long winded, then again I’ve not really seen any others. I went for them simply because they are cheap and close to me.

How long realistically has it taen peeps to complete.

Nice one

The Rooster

Duck-U-Suckerz
4th Feb 2003, 13:16
Me!
I'm at LGU (now london Metro. Uni.) The new notes are much better I have just helped them proof read the new P of F, Powerplants and systems notes, V3 will be much better ('logbook' size 'n' shape in a colour book format) but did find a few errors which will be addressed.

Being reallistic you'll need between 800 and 1100 hours to get first time passes, depending on your abillity to study and time per week spent studying.

Good Luck.

The Islander
4th Feb 2003, 13:19
Hi Rooster, Check your email, I've sent you some useful information.
Cheers
Islander

RoosterBooster
6th Feb 2003, 17:28
Nice one guy's.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like its going to be a long old hard slog to get these done. Still gota get going at some stage.

The Islander, thanks for you email. Check your email.

Catch ya.

timzsta
6th Feb 2003, 19:07
I been DL with LGU since June last year, and just took the first 8 exams this week. The DL course is to be split into three very shortly which is no bad thing and will undoubtebly make things easier when it comes to the exams.

There is much work being done to upgrade the notes they have, as these have been seen as a "weak link" in the product. The new notes will be more succint and in colour. I was the first to get the new Human Factors notes, which are really good - tell you what you need to know and not lots of waffle.

The revision week was of high quality, particularly the Performance module and Principles of Flight. Also they gave out masses of feedback questions and that I feel is about as important as the notes when it comes to helping you pass the exams.

Also the Instructor responsible for running DL is first rate, very enthusiastic and will provide you with plenty of support and encouragement. You will not be left waiting around for days for answers to your queries. Remember, just because you are distance learning it does not mean you are alone - all the instructors are just an e-mail or phone call away (and they will phone you if you want/need).

The key thing with DL is your own motivation I believe. If you feel sorry about the fact that the notes are not as good as someone elses, you feel "on your own" as your a distance learner and "no one is here to help" you will struggle. You get from it what you put in.

Some off the staff also commented that the distance learners sometimes do better then the full timers. Strange as this may seem they pointed to the fact that the DL student is able to study when he or she is best suited to study and can work at their own pace.

E-mail me if you like at [email protected] if you want any more information.

FlyingForFun
7th Feb 2003, 10:38
Timzsta,

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on whether a week was long enough for the brush-up.

I did consider LGU very carefully, because the idea of only having to do one week brush-up was very appealing, considering that I'd have to take this out of my annual holiday allowance. But in the end I decided that, if it was possible to cover the material in one week, all the schools would do it - the fact that every other school had a two-week brush-up course suggested that one week was pushing it a little.

And, having now done the Bristol two-week brush-up course for both of their modules, I'm very pleased I made that choice - I can't see how it could be possible to cover everything in one week. In fact, two weeks really wasn't long enough for Module 2.

Granted that the LGU course is split into 3 modules now, whereas the other schools do it in 2 modules - this wasn't the case when I started the DL a year ago, at that time LGU still had 2 modules with a week's brush-up for each.

Thanks,

FFF
------------

Master Yoda
7th Feb 2003, 12:08
Anyone here on the Foundation Degree in Aviation Management and operations (pilot option) at LGU?

If so how is the course?