PDA

View Full Version : Virgin FO Salary and Command prospects

johntrav69
4th Feb 2003, 10:29
Can anyone enlighten me as to what an FO/SFO gets paid with Virgin. Also approx how many years to command internally at the moment? After tax figures would be useful if poss.
Thanks very much in advance.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mr. Hat
4th Feb 2003, 22:52
johntrav69 I think the F/O's are on 69 and Skippers 140 (roughly).

From what I hear these figures are regardless of hours flown. I.e. you can fly max hours and make not a cent more. Can anyone confirm?

I also heard that the FA's are on 40.

Commands? There is talk of 6 months from right seat to left. Probably an extreeme case.

I'm sure someone else can help you more than me on this one := .

ccy sam
7th Feb 2003, 05:43
There are three levels of F/os pay in VB. It all depends on experience. These levels range from about 60k to 75k before tax, all the pay is going up by a small amount if the new EBA gets thru.500 hours on 737s gets you to the highest pay level[about 7 months flying once you get in]. Commands can come pretty quick if you are good enough. Notice is taken of sim and line check performances and if they like what they see and you have the minimum experience required you may be invited to train for the left hand seat.

johntrav69
7th Feb 2003, 10:24
Thanks a lot very useful info. Now can anyone tell me what take home pay is likely to be on 75k?

liquid_gold
8th Feb 2003, 07:11
Hey John,

Did you get someone to do your CPL test for you also? It doesn't hurt to do a little bit of work yourself. Where would YOU find that info? Everyone has given you recipe, now you cook it.

high talker
8th Feb 2003, 09:44
Johntrav69 with a name like that thought you worked for the big Q wouldnt that money be lose change, Or has daddy done all the hard work and your not sure how to do things for your self

Bob Hawke
8th Feb 2003, 12:25
But if you change hands, it feels different. Why are stupid questions made so simple.

farcup77
8th Feb 2003, 12:30
Some of you ****wits need to go out and get a life,give the poor guy a break!:mad:

johntrav69
9th Feb 2003, 03:50
If I worked for VB I would know how much I took home a month, multiply by 12 and type into PC. A lot quicker than some of the messages you have typed. Alternatively I could look up all the Oz taxation figures and make a rough calculation myself, but could take some time on a borrowed 56k connection.
Whatever happened to a quick favour??

liquid_gold
9th Feb 2003, 07:30
Farcup, you could give JT69 a break if you like. It's not that hard to find the info yourself. Your post was as useless as tits on a bull. At least I was encouraging JT69 to find the info himself. Now you can farcough.

I'm gone!
9th Feb 2003, 07:47
JT69,

F/O's I know were taking home around 4 grand a month last time we spoke paypackets. That was with a few overnights and the odd call-in. Sorry I cant give you a more detailed reply as we just dont talk dollars and cents too often.

Cheers,

I'm Gone!

MulletHead
10th Feb 2003, 08:58
FO's 4 g's in the hand
Capt's 6 g's in the hand
On top of these figures add 1 g for overnights
These are average monthly figures:} :}

Willie Nelson
13th Feb 2003, 04:23
ilovelonghaul!

Go home before the conversion rate goes 1.59. I don't work for DJ but we don't need your sort.

Willie

amos2
13th Feb 2003, 07:09
Happy to work for 5cent pieces are we Wilie? ;)

heypilut
9th Mar 2003, 02:53
I'm very content taking home $5000 to $5500 a month as an F/o.For those of u who spend yours days bagging DJ's pay structure i would really be interested in knowing how much u take home flying your 152 around the circuit!

Hudson
9th Mar 2003, 11:32
Ilovelonghaul. Low pay? Surely thou jest?
After all you are flying a beautiful aircraft with beautiful hosties who have been known to have the odd pyjama party during overnights at the best hotels in town.

Anyway, flogging over the sunburnt country is not exactly the most hazardous job in the world. Boring maybe - but seldom dangerous. There are over 3000 hopeful pilots on the Virgin books just waiting in the wings (love the pun, in case it went right over your head) and more than happy to fly for a lot less than Virgin pays. Me included.

Ask any grade three instructor at Archerfield if he or she considers 65K low pay!

Keg
9th Mar 2003, 12:12
And therein is the precise problem why pay for pilots in this country will continue to drop. :( :*

Gnadenburg
10th Mar 2003, 09:58
Heypilot

You are obviously counting your hard earned and should have been expended allowances. 69k a year will not see you take home that kind of money, courtesy the taxman.

Hudson

Only a couple of years ago others were pyjama partying with beautiful F/As on 40 per cent more money and time off but same monthly stick hours.

Just for the record.

Keg

Too true.

But then again with all these experienced pilots about QF continued to take cadets and places little value on experience.

Experienced pilots move abroad, keep international wages down which, without a doubt, affects QF wages.

Just an observation and not a critism of QF, they do and can take who they like but this does fit into the pilot wages' market forces.

Kwaj mate
10th Mar 2003, 21:38
Gentlemen, it appears most of you continue to bury you heads in the sand.
Have you not been looking at events overseas.
What has just happened at United & US Air ?
Who caused the major problems ?
United is majority owned by staff & their pilots have indicated their reluctance to move on salaries.
I wonder why they are now in trouble.
SouthWest (& the SW concept) is the only real player in the world today. Why ?
They turn their airplanes around in 15 minutes (take note you engineering types who think it takes 20 minutes for a walk-round).
Their pilots are efficient & productive and they earn the same (relative) levels as VirginBlue.
Most of you chaps have the Viking mentality. Rape & plunder & stuff the rest of the world.
Get real chaps, you have an odd way to look at how an airline should be run today.

EPIRB
10th Mar 2003, 22:10
Kwaj mate, you're wrong on the Southwest pilots pay. I have a mate who flies for them and they are doing much better than the Qantas 737 drivers.
As has been discussed before, the pilots pay on a 737 type aircraft equates to around $4.00 per hour per passenger ticket. The real problem with airline costs is the amount of direct non revenue producing staff such as IT and HR and associated beauracracies. Not to forget the bag snatchers on their $70,000 plus salaries.

liquid_gold
10th Mar 2003, 23:12
Hudson,

69K ain't good money for a B737 F/O. Believe it or not. Back at "band camp" it was more like 94K base, plus $140 per hour over 55 per month, plus allowances. Can you see what's happened? I'd imagine QF B737 pay is similar and that is their smallest type, so it only goes up from there!:eek:

Mr. Hat
12th Mar 2003, 10:31
Gnandenburg nice post.

Love these characters who keep believing that pilots are overpaid and that its the "pilots" fault if the airline folds. If you are one of these people I suggest you invest in an alarm clock with all the bells and whistles and wake the fark up.

Gee I hope 70k for throwing bags is a wind up or some sort of sick joke.

Too many corporate lunches - too many office staff (one for sharpening pencils, one for emptying the shavings in the bin..the list goes on) - too many mega million bonuses and pats on backs for my liking.

Funny though how suddenly the pilots are at the top of the list for importance if something goes wrong. The pay should reflect the responibility and skill these people have in their hands and thats that.

Rant over. :mad:

heypilut
18th Mar 2003, 06:28
3rd level FO. Base of $76350.less tax gives around $4300 a month.Allowances work out subject to overnights (average 10 for an fo a month) $101.15 roughly a night subject to sign on and off times.(not taxed) Take home approx $5300 a month give or take a couple of hundred.Yes take home includes allowances and yes we work long hours to get those allowances.No we don't get overtime but we do get 65% of the $15000 retention supplement as a one off payment at the end of each financial year.
I hope i have made myself a little clearer than maybe previously and cleared up any questions!:eek:

johntrav69
11th Aug 2003, 08:30
Thanks a lot. Sorry for the delay but building those NG hours!!

VB_Capt
11th Aug 2003, 12:26
There are worse things to do and there are better things to do. Thats the way it is in ;life. It;s just a matter of where you are standing at the time. Gnadeburg you're right when you say its market forces, and that's what will work against QF while VB is around. I don't like it or want it but that;s the way it is.

777Efoh
12th Aug 2003, 07:27
Kwaj mate,

Check your PM. :-)

Mr. Hat
12th Aug 2003, 22:56
Hudson - where do I start? Or do I even bother replying to your post that I had previously missed.

Keg & Gnand sum it up perfectly.

How about the chaps that you are teaching at Archerfield go to your boss and say "we'll do it for less than Captain Hudson". Afterall you are ACTUALLY getting paid to fly whilst they are paying.

I mean GOD, you get paid to put time in your logbook! These junior Captains don't even know if they will ever get a gig so sure enough they will do your job for less or maybe for free. Not a nice thought hey.

The reality is that the chaps/ettes at Virgin are working very hard. To get where they are today they have done some very hard yards. Therefore the suggestion that their money is too much and that their work is some kind of social activity/party is a little off the mark. The senior guys in your company set the standard as to what is acceptable/reasonable and in a way affect how much money you get paid and what conditions you work under. Much the same as the VB and QF guys set the standard for the rest of us.

Its all relative.

:suspect: :suspect: