PDA

View Full Version : Modular? Is it worth it?

johnholmes825
3rd Feb 2003, 21:27
Although new to the forum, I have been doing much research through past threads and would appreciate anyone´s views on the old bijou of Integrated vs Modular.

As far as I can see so many modular students struggle through to find little of no job prospects at the end of the slog...whereas many integrated seem to get the dream jobs, straight on the jets.

Does this not settle the argument once and for all???

2WingsOnMyWagon
3rd Feb 2003, 21:42
As far as I can see so many modular students struggle through to find little of no job prospects at the end of the slog...whereas many integrated seem to get the dream jobs, straight on the jets.

I think youll find that in the current climate, Integrated or modular students will struggle to get any kind of flying job!!!:uhoh:

:ok:

Number Cruncher
3rd Feb 2003, 21:51
I have been doing much research through past threads

Are you sure?

I think you will find that both integrated AND modular students will struggle to find a direct entry jet job at the moment with the way the market place is. Even in an ideal World, getting straight into a jet job is a very unlikely. I think you need to get that idea out of your head for now and be prepared to take any flying job that comes your way.

As for modular V integrated - well, it seems to have been discussed to death on this website. Ultimately, I feel that your final decision will be based on your own personal circumstances. I would love the opportunity to go integrated, however, I have a well paid steady job which I think I’d be rather foolish to give up - especially with the state our dream industry appears to be in....

all the best with your chosen route.

MorningGlory
4th Feb 2003, 07:42
I got my little blue book yesterday and It's worth £50K with a job, without? £0.

So in answer to your question: Yes, it will have all been worth it when I get a job!

My best advice to you and anyone else who is thinking of, and hasn't starting training yet: Get onto a scheme where you are much more likely to be employed at the end ie. easy sponsorship, ctc mcalpine, buzz/cabair etc..

If you apply for sponsorship and don't get it after a few try's with different companies, then do something else and save yourself £50K (that's what I would do, if I was thinking of it all over again.)

foghorn
4th Feb 2003, 09:35
Considering that Modular licence holders only started hitting the job market in 2001, but integrated courses existed long before that as CAP509, there hasn't been enough time to compare the two.

The airline industry has been in recession since late 2001, very few people have been hired, so a fair comparison cannot really be made yet!

Airline HR departments have not been the quickest to realise the significant differences between the JAA Modular route and the old CAA self-improver route, therefore the prejudice that (with some justification) existed against low-hour CAA self improvers was unfairly applied to JAA Modular students. This prejudice is gradually wearing off as the last of the 2000 glut of deadline-beating CAA self-improvers work their way up through the grass roots of aviation.

Under JAR, modular students have to do just as much training as integrated students, and often have more hours. The only real difference between the two is continuity (which is a plus point for integrated courses) and the fact that smaller schools offer modular courses (which makes modular courses cheaper). Unlike the old CAA self-improver route, a JAA modular IR is fully approved. The fact that CTC/MacAlpine cadets are actually doing modular courses is highly significant.

I'd love to know where these legions of self-sponsored integrated students getting jet jobs since Sep 2001 are...

Number Cruncher said

Even in an ideal World, getting straight into a jet job is a very unlikely. I think you need to get that idea out of your head for now and be prepared to take any flying job that comes your way.

Can we have this in a sticky post? This should be compulsory reading for all new wannabes. Even when times are good, getting the licence is just the first hurdle, folks, for both integrated and modular students.

Best of luck,
foggy

GonvilleBromhead
4th Feb 2003, 09:47
I'd love to know where these legions of self-sponsored integrated students getting jet jobs since Sep 2001 are...

Well said Foggy, beat me to it.

vicarofdibley
4th Feb 2003, 13:55
Well I left an integrated course and completed my training by the modular route.

Differences? Well by going modular I had to do another 50 hours airborne. That as far as I can see is the only difference.

Oh and I also spent less. Same exams, same flight tests but by going modular I gained experience. I have visited over 30 airfields - how many ab initio integrated students can say the same?

Although I can never say what the outcome might have been if I remained integrated or did the whole course modular - I can say that my exam results were better when I was modular and that I passed my IRT first time. I have gained a great deal of flying experience and I start work next week - flying, not flipping burgers.

Hope this helps

dibs

VFE
4th Feb 2003, 16:11
Well as someone else who was integrated but left to go modular I would agree with the Vicar of Dibley about getting out and about more on the modular route. I have met oodles more contacts through going modular and flown into many more different places in the world than I could've if I'd stayed integrated.

I have had to make decisions that would've been made for me by the integrated school on safety matters and have flown in more testing conditions than would've been allowed due to insurance and licence limitations imposed at large integrated flight training establishments.

On the plus side for the integrated route........

I do know two people fresh out of integrated courses who have just got jet jobs only a few weeks after leaving training and another who's at the second stage of landing a turbo-prop job. Three in under a month. Not bad that is it?

Wouldn't want to make you all moist unnecessarily but judging from this things *could* be improving .......for integrated graduates anyway, no?

I'm happy to be modular though if anyone's interested! ;)

VFE.

Send Clowns
4th Feb 2003, 18:08
Caveat: I work for a modular training provider, so take this as you will.

From what I can see as the jobs become available (and they are now, just, if you know where to look) what the airlines want to see is experience: hours, and courses completed. Which route leaves you with more hours (about 60 more on average)? Modular. Which leaves you with more money for more flying/FI rating/Jet Orientation Course/renewing IR? Modular.

The choice is yours.