PDA

View Full Version : BA Medical's

bawannabe
25th Mar 2001, 21:35
I'm heading down to Gatwick for a medical (CAA class 1 and BA's own) soon having passed the recruitment for BA's trainee pilot program.

I've found plenty of info about whats involved in the CAA medical but none about BA.

Can anyone give me a bit of info about the BA medical??

I take it they do drugs tests etc...is that a blood test?

I'd just like to get there prepared - if anyone can help, that'd be great!

Bawannabe

Finals to land
26th Mar 2001, 03:14
I wouldn't worry too much about being "prepared" mate - there's nothing you can really do!

The B.A. medical consists of an audiometric test, a vitalograph (sp?!) - this is basically a machine that you heave a hefty breath into, a blood test, an ECG, an eye test, a physical examination (erm, cough please!!!) and a urine test. That's about it as far as I can remember. They were all extremely pleasant when I was there.

Good luck mate, maybe see you around...

------------------

blackknight
26th Mar 2001, 19:13
Finals, i am hoping to be taken on this year after reaching final board last time with no experience whatsoever. I now have a class one medical, does this mean I will have to go for the BA Medical. If you can remember about the eye test im particular what do they test, becuase during the Class 1 examination i failed on the Ishihara plates for colour perception but passed with The Holmes Lantirn Test, will this be a pass or fail factor???

Blackknight

Speedbird 2946
26th Mar 2001, 19:46
blackknight- well you will have to go for the BA medical despite already holding the Class 1. The medical is pretty much a Class 1 all over again as it is BA company policy to 'self-examine' all workers. Regards the colour plates it was the Ishihara book used and I am not sure whether the Holmes test will suffice, although I should imagine it should seeing as the CAA consider it safe.
Incidentally, what is the condition that prevents one from being able to read Ishihara plates?

Finals- Mate, I am sorry about that weekend you were up. Disaster! On the Sunday I was offered an aerobatic training flight up at our local RAF station on a Grob and I took it in a shot.. so I had my phone off on the base. Maybe we could try another weekend as me good mate Walsh Wenker is coming up for some boozing week or so before Meet and Greet.. let me know!

Anyway, speak to you guys soon,

SB 2946

Eagle 1
26th Mar 2001, 21:30
Do any of you lot know if the RAF medical uses Ishihara plates or the Holmes lantern test for colour vision?
Thanx

:)Eagle 1 :)

Finals to land
27th Mar 2001, 00:01
Eagle, not sure on that one! Maybe set it as a new topic?

SB, check your e-mail - if the jet-set account is working?! See you soon mate.

Throwing Grobs around, eh? Alright for some... :)

FTL

[This message has been edited by Finals to land (edited 26 March 2001).]

RevStar
27th Mar 2001, 17:31
BA Wannabee,

Email me... I'll be down at Gatwick on the 5th... R U down on the same day for the meds?

RS.

ABZ no.2
27th Mar 2001, 18:47
Like my good friend RevStar I am also down on the 5th. Gather some guys for a post, I repeat post, medical pint. E-mail me BA Wannabee and others if that sounds appealing.

[This message has been edited by ABZ no.2 (edited 27 March 2001).]

Lady Heath
27th Mar 2001, 21:37
ABZ no.2

Heard you got the good news today - Well done! Hope your medical goes well - make sure you all eat some breakfast as it prevents you getting faint when they take all that blood from you! :)

battwistingtastic
28th Mar 2001, 04:19
Theres something to be said for being a bit hungry when going for a medical, and definately dont scoff down a load of mars bars just before hand. It does affect the urine sugar level.