PDA

View Full Version : Red Cross 105 Double engine failure?

Sir Cumference
3rd Feb 2003, 11:00
Heard mention that the Cape Town based Red Cross BO 105 experienced a double engine failure at the weekend! Anyone have any details?

B Sousa
3rd Feb 2003, 13:38
WOW, very strange..Was that Bad Fuel or No Fuel??

Gunship
3rd Feb 2003, 13:56
And I thought it is only me that have double engine cuts without fuel problems ?

I have checked all the Cape newspapers (Afrikaans and English) and no mention of the incident ?

Cheers,

Gunsss

Deanw
4th Feb 2003, 10:55
The MBB-BO 105-S ZS-RMR, operated by Skymed, made an emergency landing on Sunday afternoon (2 Feb) while transporting a patient from Sutherland to Tygerberg Hospital.

The helicopter landed in an open piece of field in the Joostenbergvlakte area, near the N1. Apparently, the helicopter was not damaged.

Gunship
4th Feb 2003, 21:29
Rumour has it ... this is a RUMOUR network hey ? :eek:

Rumour has it ... that is was a fuel problem .. well great landing - well done - double engine out and you walk away is great - especially in built up areas ! Great work :D

B Sousa
5th Feb 2003, 10:20
That was the question. Fuel Problem ?? as in guages reading Zero??

Deanw
5th Feb 2003, 12:16
Crew refused to discuss the incident with reporters! :rolleyes:

Sir Cumference
6th Feb 2003, 05:27
Gents, that is ewxactly what got my interest in this case. I heard the rumour from a very reliable source and nothing more!

Seems like there are some very red faces in this one. As for double engine failures (if that is the case) there simply are very few reasons that cause two turbines to simultaneously fail!

Good job if that was the case though!

Gunship
6th Feb 2003, 10:17
If it was a :eek: "gauge problem" :eek: - still well done on the landing. On 19 Oct 01 my double engine out and fire all around the engines and main gearbox was described as once in a million and no statistics were available to say we were the first to survive ... I lost one pax but even so 5 walked out basically scratch free ..

But believe me it is not a nice feeling - does not matter how many hours and how many training you had done. :8

tyrant
6th Feb 2003, 17:47
Howdie Gents,

The Rumor I heard from a fairly reliable source was that it was fuel contamination from fuel they uplifted from some oomies plaas on the way back.

Hope we hear the truth some time though.