View Full Version : FHM Magazine - Accident Investigators

Go-Around
3rd Feb 2003, 09:16
From the March 2003 FHM:

Helicopter Lands in Home

Where: Cardiff
When: April 2000
Speed at point of carnage: 80 mph(ish)
The story: With both eyes locked on a joyrider roaring down the M4, the Welsh constabulary cleverly guided their prized £2.5m Dyfed-Powys Police chopper straight through the eaves of a Cardiff semi-detached house. The RAF managed to successfully remove it using a massive Chinook helicopter, but Mr Patterson - the house owner - suffered post traumatic stress syndrome and was unable to return to work. The poor sod.

Compared to the actual AAIB report:
http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/bulletin/jan01/gsaew.htm

Well, FHM got the date right, I guess that's a start.

If I was the pilot, I think I'd be on to my lawyers.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Feb 2003, 11:21
If I were you, I'd stop reading comics written for teenagers to read behind the bike sheds, rots the mind.

But yes, if I were that pilot, I'd be at-least asking for a retraction and apology.

G

Go-Around
3rd Feb 2003, 11:25
Mostly I just look at the pictures!

Delta Julliet Golf
3rd Feb 2003, 13:39
Don't read the stories!!! Check out the babes!!

DJG

Say again s l o w l y
3rd Feb 2003, 14:34
Nice to see that the standards of the FHM journo's are as high as ever.:rolleyes:

You thought they might have learnt after their fiasco over comments made about Hillsborough :mad:

Steve76
4th Feb 2003, 01:29
What stories.....
(they banned it at work :rolleyes: )

QDMQDMQDM
4th Feb 2003, 08:45
There is no doubt that post-traumatic stress disorder is a real phenomenon which can be disabling. There is no doubt too that many people use it as a gravy train, although of course I cast no aspersions on the Mr. Patterson named here.

I hate our compensation culture, but frankly I think the pilot should go for FHM. He was very skilled to bring off a landing where no-one was injured and doesn't deserve this.

QDM

Steve Davies
5th Feb 2003, 21:37
I've sent the Ed an e-mail congratulating him and the team on a great piece of journalism...:mad:

Go-Around
6th Feb 2003, 10:09
I've sent them an email as well, along with a link to the AAIB report. Should be worth a free subscription to someone!

Roofus
13th Feb 2003, 05:50
What can I say?

flungdung you're right...I do look at the pictures in FHM :=

I saw this article & to be fair my reaction was one of almost disinterest. I emailed FHM & pointed out the errors in their statement in a 'tongue in cheek' kind of way, I've heard nothing.

The only offence I took was that it could be interpreted as stupidy rather than a catastrophic failure. A tad harsh I thought!

However...this is how I see it. No-one was hurt. Everyone walked away. I am happy with the fact that I did a good job.

The fact that the uneducated & ignorant see fit to view it differently is of no consequence to me.

Look for compensation? Why? Because they can't get their facts straight? Nah...I'm bigger than that.

If I could just point out.....there was no pant filling!!! (Was too busy for that!) :cool: ;)

Almost forgot.....Ta for the nice comments & support! :O