PDA

View Full Version : Massey information

skytops
3rd Feb 2003, 05:28
A couple of unrelated questions for anyone in-the-know at Massey Uni School of Aviation:

1 - Would they ever employ c-cat instructors who hadn't trained with them?

2 - Does anyone have inside information they'd care to divulge on the recent case where a student won a big payout from Massey Aviation? I've heard that the student threatened to sue Massey for not honouring a contract, and Massey settled out of court to avoid publicity etc.

Just curious.

Cypher
5th Feb 2003, 07:21
Skytops..
1. I've only seen Massey take on B-Cats... They usually employ their C-cats from that years FID (flight instructor development.. gay name..) course... usually theres about 4-5 of them that get employment with Massey after they've finished.

2. Nah.. haven't heard about that.. but I'm not surprised.. they usually make you sign a contract before you start training with Massey...

Girt_bar
5th Feb 2003, 07:37
Any truith in the rumour that they are paying for some of their students to get a 737 rating with Air NZ.

Cypher
5th Feb 2003, 08:18
Heard rumours about a Chinese pilot intake... doing the time on the Bandit, then progressing to B737 type rating with Air NZ before being put on the fast boat back to China...

Girt_bar
6th Feb 2003, 11:39
Cypher.

This rumour didn't involve the chinese students.

It makes more sense now after I see that most new starters at Air NZ will initially be on the 737 with Freedom. I imagine that Massey's plan is to buy the student his/her type rating, get them into Freedom then brag to future hopefuls about how it's students are flying for an airline. Does seem a tad desperate though

Then again I could have it all wrong. I only hope that for the sake of aviation in NZ I have.

clutchcargo
8th Feb 2003, 23:00
Girt_Bar

I think that you would find it is just a rumour born out of the chinese being trained onto the B737 through the Xiamen contract they have.
Since Freedom pilots are now on the seniority list with Air NZ and selection is done through Air NZ interviews, there is no way that Massey pilots will get direct entry into a 737 straight out of training. I daresay that ALPA would have a lot to say about it as well!!!

More just rumour and wishful thinking on Massey's part...

Skytops

This would not be the first "out-of court" settlement that has occurred since the conception of Massey (from students or staff).
I remember one that occurred when a student was not selected for the B737 stuff with Garuda and, since daddy was a lawyer, decided to sue for compensation - needless to say he was on the next groundcourse and paid a reasonable sum to "keep his mouth shut".

Anybody going, or contemplating on going there, shuld make sure they get a lawyer to look over the contract as Massey tend to put loopholes and fish-hooks in it to suit themselves.

How do I know? I worked there and saw it first hand.....

SniperPilot
9th Feb 2003, 01:15
Do anyone know how many from Massey received a seat at Garuda and how long the scheme lasted? Why was it stopped? (by Garuda?)

SniperPilot
9th Feb 2003, 02:26
Do anyone know how many from Massey received a seat at Garuda and how long the scheme lasted? Why was it stopped? (by Garuda?)

flyby_kiwi
9th Feb 2003, 07:18
Skytops - Id say the chances are like trying to get C-Cat work out of most other organisations you didnt train at yourself: Slim - especially if your still under supervision. Having said that though I think it was Scott air that where 'welcoming applications' from C-Cat instructors a couple of months ago but once again were looking for persons out of supervision.

Ive also read on here that Massey's Palmy op. is closing down so I would imagine you would be competing with the instructors from down there for somewhere to go.

If youve almost got the mins for a B Cat hang in there - Mainland Air, Manawatu aeroclub, and the guys in Rotorua are all looking for B Cats with various min experience. Also i believe a few Massey B-Cats are jumping ship to Flight2000.

All the best anyway!