PDA

View Full Version : Wireless and clueless

lizard drinking
2nd Feb 2003, 21:47
A new Sony laptop, got to Changi last night and tried to use the free wireless LAN. Turned it on and got a "good" connection. But IE would not use it, nor would my aol account on LAN. Frustrating, if you were there you probably heard me screaming.
I must be missing something to do with setting the wireless LAN up, can someone talk me thru it, for next time?

ORAC
3rd Feb 2003, 00:55
Your system is probably still trying to connect via the LAN. You now have two network connections, and you have to tell it which one to use.

Assuming you have Win XP:

To connect to an available wireless network

Right-click the network connection icon in the notification area, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.

In Connect to Wireless Network, under Available Networks, click the wireless network that you want to connect to.

Click Connect.

Then open the browser.

lizard drinking
3rd Feb 2003, 03:48
A lot to remember when I am passing through an airport.
I have 802.11b wireless LAN included in the computer.
The wireless connection is made, no problem. It says I have a connection and gives a good rate.
My problem is that my browser will not use it. It acts as if the connection is not there. I was thinking that the problem is in the browser (IE) not the connection.
Am I misunderstanding your explanation?
Thankingyou for the prompt and full reply nevertheless, but could you take the time to tell me that I need to do all this in my situation? For example I do not have an administrator, do not have a key, and the wireless network is a public one advertised for free useage.
Thanks, Liz..

25F
5th Feb 2003, 03:35
In IE, under Tools, there's Options, and then there's a Connection tab. Fiddling around in there may help. At least with the versions of IE I'm familiar with.

A good diagnostic for internet connections is to open up a "DOS box" or "Command Prompt" or whatever Microsoft are calling it this week, and type the command "ping www.pprune.org". Suggest you do this now with a working setup so you know what it's supposed to look like.

CrashDive
7th Feb 2003, 07:58
All the wireless bit does is to connect your laptop to a Wireless Access Point (WAP) sitting on somebodies network, i.e. it's mearly acting as a piece of cable ( albeit of the wireless variety ).

From what you've written above, it seems that the wireless bit is inded working - coz it can see the wireless Access Point.

So why can't you connect ? Probably one of three things:

Encryption, or TCP/IP settings, or Connection settings.

Encryption

What wireless encryption protocol (WEP) is the wireless signal using ? e.g. None, 40bit, 64bit, 101bit, 128bit - and if it is using encryption, then what is the 'Passphrase' ? and or what have you got set for this on your laptop ?

Nb. As opposed to cable network connections, with wireless it is relativey straightforward to 'listen-in' to the wireless radio signals UNLESS they are encrypted ( using WEP ).

If encryption is being used then, until you've set what it needs, you won't be able to join the LAN, because when you join their LAN, some equipment within it will provide your laptop an IP and the DNS server addresses, ..... and without them set you will not be able to route through to the Internet.

Also don't forget that if you're on a public / shared network then you had better ensure that your laptops firewall is turned on - least people start surfing your hard drive !

So, somewhere in the wireless setup options for your laptops you will probably find ( at least ) two things:

A). Configuration -

Mode - Infrastructure

SSID - typically 'WLAN' or 'Wireless' or something that you enter to match what's set in their WAP, but where in your case it looks like your laptop has automatically detected the SSID being used.

Tx Rate - Fully automatic

PS Mode - Disabled

Channel - automatic

B). Encryption -

WEP - Disabled / 64 bit / 128 bit.

Create with Passphrase - you enter some word in in the field ( usually supplied by your systems administrator or network provider - coz they're the ones who set the Passphrase inside the WAP that you're trying to connect to ).

TCP/IP

One also assumes that your laptop wireless adaptors TCP/IP settings are set to be 'automatic', i.e. that it's set to obtain various settings automatically, i.e. 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' ?

Check it: Start / Settings / Network Connections. Choose the relevant 'Local area connection', Right click on it and select 'Properties'.
A window will open up in you should see the green coloured adaptor name - hopefull the wirless one if you've chosen the correct Local area connection - underneath that will be something that says 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'. Click on this and then click the 'properties button - have a look at what it says about automatic settings.

If all look satisfactory now try this:

Start a DOS command prompt window ( Start / Run - Open: cmd click OK ).

At the command prompt enter: ipconfig /all

also try: ping www.bbc.co.uk ( ping = Packet INternet Groper )

and / or alternatively: tracert www.bbc.co.uk ( shows you the route across all the servers that a ping request takes )

Connections

Click on: Start / Settings / Control Panel and select the 'Internet Options'.

A window will open, select the 'Connections' tab.

You should propably have the 'Never dial a connection' or 'Dial whenever a network conneciton is not present' radio buttons selected, because you don't want your laptop to DIAL a connection, you want it to use the TCP/IP network connection being provided by the wireless adaptor ( and not the modem dialling to an ISP ).

Do let us know how you get on.

What_does_this_button_do?
9th Feb 2003, 20:44
Before we got bogged down in technical stuff, can I ask a simple question. Were you in a stated "free (as in "open to the public") WLAN access area". I've yet to see a free WLAN access area at an airport. You may have an excellent signal but if the host denies you entry there is nothing you can do.

B
WLAN lover.

ORAC
9th Feb 2003, 20:51
What_does_this_button_do?, It's there and it's free:

Computer Times
30 Jan 2002

Changi Airport has been providing free wireless Internet surfing for passengers with their own notebook computers or compatible PDAs since March last year. This is in addition to wired network points that also provide network access. All the passengers need to do is to use their wireless modem card supporting the IEEE 802.11b standard, which will let them access the Internet through the airport's wireless LAN, which cost more than $74,000 to install.

There are service counters - located in the Internet Centre in Terminal One and the E-hub in Terminal Two - which will loan them wireless LAN cards as well. Wireless coverage areas are currently located in the central departure transit lounge areas of both terminals. The E-hub service counter is located in Terminal Two of Changi Airport. Passengers use their wireless modem cards to access the Internet through the airport's wireless LAN. In the pipeline are plans to increase the wireless coverage in the terminals.

Mr Loh Seow Yick, the assistant airport manager for airport systems, said the external broadband connection for each terminal is a 512 kbps (kilobits per second) leased line. The current network can support up to 50 concurrent wireless users before there is a noticeable slowdown in Internet access speed. But he added that the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) has plans to increase the broadband connection bandwidth to 1 Mbps (megabits per second) by the middle of this year in anticipation of higher wireless demand.

A recently unveiled enhancement, aimed at making it easier for passengers to use the wireless network, was the use of Tru'Connect hardware and software solutions from local network technology firm Antlabs. This "plug-and-play, zero-configuration" feature allows airport users to just plug in the network card and the back-end. Tru'Connect server will handle all software configurations.

Ms Jemangin, public relations assistant manager, CAAS, says an average of 80 people use the airport's wireless LAN every day. Mr Aw Peng Soon, Antlabs' sales director, said: "There is no need for a passenger to configure or change the network settings. The network layer will adapt to the user's settings and device environment.

Cabled and wireless Internet access is offered free of charge, a move by the CAAS to up the competitive stakes.......

lizard drinking
9th Feb 2003, 23:04
Crash, thanks for the info. It might be a while before I get near another free wireless network but I will be prepared at least...

What_does_this_button_do?
9th Feb 2003, 23:42
If you can get Broadband at home the price of WLAN kit is so cheap nw it's (in my opinion) worth getting. Make sure you install SSID though! No wires, easy to fit, easy to expand.

B

Captain Over
26th Apr 2003, 03:52
Just a thought...

Maybe there are specific Proxy Settings that is required before you could browse there? Many ISP's have different settings you need to configure before you can access any sites through them.

Check Tools | Internet Options | Connections | Settings | Proxy Server | Advanced for this info...port numbers etc are needed from the particular ISP thought. Check it out - maybe this is what is holding you back?

Cheers