PDA

View Full Version : loud hard disk drive

Squawk7777
2nd Feb 2003, 09:19
(the trouble continues...?)

A few months ago, my HDD became very noisy. I did not drop my computer, stomped on it (although I really want!) or did any other physical harm to it. The noise is continuous and is not only restricted to HDD reading or writing.

Instead of a gentle bsssssssss I got this BSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Are my HDD days numbered? Any idea what can cause a louder turning of my HDD?

7 7 7 7

Jet II
2nd Feb 2003, 13:34
Your drives days are certainly numbered - make sure that you have backed-up everything of importance on it before it finally goes to the great 'Hard drive cemetary in the sky'

;)

Ronbmy
2nd Feb 2003, 18:57
Sounds like a classic case of the bearing about to collapse.

Mac the Knife
2nd Feb 2003, 19:33
Its dying. Had that twice in the past with older smaller IDE drives and both died after a few weeks.

Same if you start getting repeated errors or bootup failures. DOS (and Windows 9.x) will not tell you that it is having increasing difficulty in finding a sector or sectors until it REALLY can't find it.

Clone your drive NOW to a new one [while you still can - you've probably only got a few boots left] and retire the noisy one (see some fairly recent posts on this forum).

mcdhu
6th Feb 2003, 08:40
Strangely enough, my machine is also making a louder 'whirring' noise than previously, but I wonder if it might be the cooling fan because if I shut it down to 'Standby', it still makes the noise. Presumably, when the machine is on standby, the HD is not doing anything.

The machine is a Dell Dimension series and is about 3 years old.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers,
mcdhu

mcdhu
7th Feb 2003, 07:49
Many thanks for that. I'll give it a go when I have some time. Thanks also for the safety warning.

Cheers,
mcdhu