PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle Columbia Destroyed

On Reserves
1st Feb 2003, 16:36
Columbia has been destroyed over Texas
See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2716369.stm

OzExpat
2nd Feb 2003, 01:42
A very sad event indeed, recalling the horror of the Challenger disaster. This is just the sort of thing that NASA doesn't need and another reminder that there can be a high price to pay for all endeavours at the edge of technology. A very sad event indeed.

Condolences to all the relatives. I note also that Israel's first astronaut was among the crew, so the event truly has international significance and widespread grief.

Dogimed
3rd Feb 2003, 01:43
Very sad event indeed.

Although, you gotta admit, it would be one hell of a way to go. On your way back from space travel.

Dog

thermo-riser
7th Feb 2003, 08:15
The loss of the Space Shuttle Columbia was indeed a very sad and tragic event which impacts all mankind. As I listened to the radio announcements every hour on the hour immediately following the events, it struck me that all the comments made by various people, were lacking in emotional content. (Unlike the September 11 & Bali bombing events) the words were there but not the grief laden tones. The comments were practised and rehearsed to perfection, which in a way was very comforting.

The more I listened the more I became convinced that all involved were well aware of the possible loss of the Shuttle in advance of re-entry. I guess the Japanese Prime Ministers words during an interview offering condolences was the clincher for me when he said, “they proceeded with the mission with great courage”.

NASA later released information that confirmed they had considered the worst case scenario as part of the examination of the foam insulation impact issue.

What then struck me is the fact that there were reported to be 10 Astronauts orbiting the earth during the mission (correct me if I am wrong here), 3 on the Space Station & 7 on the Shuttle. If the Space Shuttle had been inspected prior to deciding to return to earth and it was deemed unserviceable, how would we get everyone home ??????

Again correct me if I am wrong, but I recall NASA stating that they had looked at tile repair and replacement methods earlier in the programme and found it to be impractical due to the risk of causing more damage to the vehicle than the existing damage requiring repair and even if it were feasible on Columbia there were no tiles onboard.

Ok so we have the ability to send up another Shuttle on a rescue mission. Assuming the rescue Shuttle requires minimum of 3 Crew that only allows for 4 of the original Astronauts to return home. Where would the second Shuttle dock? How would the Crew transfer? Would the additional crew effect the space stations operation? How long could the remaining 3 Astronauts stay on board Columbia waiting for a 2nd rescue mission? What would be done with Columbia if it could not be fixed? Could NASA afford the $$$$$ to repair it? Who would be willing to command a repaired Columbia back to earth?

I am sure all these questions were considered over the 16 days of Columbia being up there, I am sure that Space Control would have considered inspecting the left wing using cameras on orbiting satellites or even space walk, but maybe would rather not, I am sure everyone was hoping that the damage was minimal. What would have been the options? I have seen the substantial impact damage to the flap of a DC-9 caused by a small bird encountered on landing in 1968…. The hunk of foam looks bigger and I am sure the velocity of it would have been greater..

It is my opinion that the Columbia Crew were aware of the circumstances that they found themselves in and with this knowledge as the Japanese Prime Minister said, “Proceeded with the mission with great courage”.

The Space Shuttle flights have become somewhat routine over the years and we tend to forget the incredible risks and dangers that accompany every mission from launch to landing. The men and women that travel into space accept the risks both personally and on our behalf and it is, at times like these that we are reminded of their selfless Courage and Bravery.

They are true Heroes.

Thank you Columbia Crew

RIP.

P.O.M
7th Feb 2003, 11:42
Your right, this accident was truly a tragic end to their mission :sad:
The fact is though space flight has been and always will be a risky business, which the crews are fully aware of.

The initial thoughts were of damage to the tiles during lift off, but I think I saw that they are also exploring the possibility of space debris.

If it was debris there's not alot anyone can do, I don't think that risk can ever be removed, it was was just sheer bad luck :rolleyes:

I understand that when they were evaluating the tile problem during their 16 days in orbit there wasn't a great deal they could do...:uhoh: They didn't have enough fuel on board to reach the higher orbit required to reach the ISS, even if they did they didn't have the correct docking equipment on board to transfer crew between the ISS and shuttle:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how long it takes to prep a shuttle and crew to change a mission and bring it forward, but I doubt they would have been able to get another shuttle upto them in time. I think there was another mission being preped for Aprilish??
Could the crew have lasted until the other mission was able to be launched:confused:

I'm sure that this accident will see new scenario's played out to review safety systems and possible rescue possibilities explored:) After all, isn't that how safety systems are developed, not only in the space program but also aviation in general?
We look at what went wrong and try to develope a way of preventing it from happening again.

Its just a shame that it cost the lives of seven good people:ouch:

I hope the space program gets back in the air again soon.

Cheers P.O.M:ok:

compressor stall
8th Feb 2003, 21:42
Some breaking news in the investigation....maybe the tiles are not to blame.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/837459/posts

And a BB topic and reply. As usual wade thru the rubbish for the good bits.

http://windsofchange.net/archives/002999.html

Whatever it was, I just hope they get an answer and get the other orbiters up there ASAP.

CS