PDA

View Full Version : Wake Turbulence Sounds AMAZING

pullock
1st Feb 2003, 10:27
I am an airline engineer, and was riding on the bicycle path that goes along the cooks river at Sydney beneath the approach to runway whateveritsnameis.

As I was riding a 737 passed overhead, yeah cool another aeroplane, and aerosexuals by the dozens watching nearby with lenses all pointing skyward (always a sad sight).

Quite some time after the aeroplane had passed, as we continued to ride, I heard a LOUD ripping sound coming out of the air above my head, and passing to my right. Looking up startled I saw nothing there. Just as I looked back down continuing my bike ride, the second one passed close by my head also. Less startled this time, I realised that this stunning effect must be vortice generated by the engines, part of wake turbulence.

As my ride was a round trip, I was back at the same spot later, and stopped as two further aircraft went over, and observed the very same effect each time!! (by that stage however the aerosexual croud was gone, with just a few guys hanging out doing burnouts). Speeking with them about it, one guy lamented that he was standing there looking at the planes, when he felt what he thought was a thump on the back of his head, turning around he saw nothing there, and later realised that it was from the aeroplanes.

Having done hundreds of engine runs in my career, seen vortices, worked with them as a daily thing, this travelling airborne vortice that comes from within wake turbulence downward, that sounds SO DAMN AWESOME is a new one on me. I have never heard anyone talking about it before, which surprises me. TRUST ME IT WILL BE SMOKO ROOM CONVERSATION TOMORROW!!

Is it common? If so, I recomend everyone who can be bothered reading this post, go check it our for yourselves!!

zlin77
1st Feb 2003, 14:28
Used to hear the sound of wake-turbulence many years ago. Parked in the G.A. park of the old Brisbane airport nearly under the approach path of Rwy. 04 It used to be very pronounced about 30 to 45 seconds after a B707 made an arrival, normally a whistling or tearing noise, quite easy to hear.

Sheep Guts
1st Feb 2003, 16:04
It is indeed very powerful turbulence, hence the warnings and seperation that ATC give if you following behind a Jet Airliner or large Type.

The most intensive Wake I have experienced is behind a 757 for some reason these Airliners give off a Large wake , must be the sleek design with large wing mounted turbine design.

Wake turbulence seperation is different in different countries even though there are ICAO rules on the subject.

Where I fly, you can see the Wake on the water as follow Number2 to a landing jet. It is a little easier to avoid.

Regards
Sheep

olderbutyzer
1st Feb 2003, 23:17
Apparently if you are right beside the runway this turbulence can knock you arse over tip!

Dan Kelly
1st Feb 2003, 23:51
sounds more like wake tubulence from the wings - high angle of attack - than engine efflux, which would explain why you've never heard it on the ground whilst conducting engine runs.

puff
2nd Feb 2003, 05:34
Down at the last Avalon the GlobeMaster took off on one of the trade days when it was blowing a gale, from your vantage point next to the runway your basically standing along the gable markers, she got airborne and the wake that followed was amazing, it just about blew every person off their feet, and it knocked about 20 reasonable full wheelie bins over that were positioned in a line...amazing site!

B772
2nd Feb 2003, 05:34
Pullock, as you are an engineer I am surprised you are not aware of the strength of wing tip votices produced when a wing is generating lift.

Without going into detail of the principles of flight let me remind you the two engines and the tail fin came off a A300-600 in flight at 255kt when it flew through the slipstream of a 'heavy' preceeding B747.

There may be other factors involved in the A300-600 accident but let me tell you turbulent air can be bad news.

I flew through a DC10 wake a number of years ago (5nm and 2000ft separartion) and it made entering or leaving a jet stream kids play.

thumpa
2nd Feb 2003, 08:14
Pullock

I myself am amazed you haven't heard it before. I hear it all the time. At the car park, on sport fields under approach paths. Also what is a sad sight? People taking pics and admiring a/c? Whom don't have the pleasure of flying or working on a/c for a living. I do it myself every now and then and also take my little boy to watch a/c t/o and land.

Me smells a rat here:confused:

pullock
3rd Feb 2003, 06:59
Actually thumpa, I think u r right and my comment was WRONG.

Sorry for that.

Others, I am well aware of wake turbulence, and that it's quite bad in the sky but I have been amazed to experience it on the GOUND!! Moreover I am just DAMN impressed by the sound it makes!!

Kanga767
3rd Feb 2003, 14:46
I remember someone ringing in to the JJJ science show with Karl K. asking about a noise such as you've described. This might explain it!

On Track
3rd Feb 2003, 19:26
Pullock, I have heard and felt what you described - I suspect, near the same location.

Although I was taught about wake turbulence way back in the PPL theory classes, I didn't realise just how significant it could be until I was standing on the extended centreline of 07 at YSSY -just across the Cooks River from the threshold. (In those days you used to be able to walk among the HIALs.) Shortly after the approaching ACFT passed over there would be a noise as if the air were being ripped into shreds and a great gust of wind. The heavy jets were the main offenders, but even the turboprop commuters caused considerable turbulence.

It was a practical demonstration which, ideally, everyone student pilot should experience.

Ausatco
5th Feb 2003, 12:13
From my vantage point in the tower we often see it as aircraft approach RWY 34L on a calm day - the wake leaves two nearly parallel lines on the water. Often wondered what would happen to the sails of the occasional becalmed yachtie under the approach if hit by the wake. Never seen boats in the right place at the right time, though!

While the vortices are always there, it is impressive when you can see them in mist, light rain or thin cloud, or in moist, clear air.

Ditto the low pressure area above the wings of a heavy as it rotates.

Every day is an airshow ... and they pay me to look :D

AA

Dogimed
5th Feb 2003, 22:16
Good piccie of a Learjet climbing out from 8/8 and leaving a verrry long trail in the clouds behind it.

Dog

Northern Chique
5th Feb 2003, 23:04
For those who have seen a corny movie call "Pushing Tin", most would have dammed near wet themselves watching the sporting attitude ... riding the wave (generated by a 747 from memory), on the threshold as it landed..

risking personal injury is not my idea of a good time, but hell it was funny watching someone else! Had to rewind it a couple of times just to watch the scene....

Pushing Tin is basically about burnt out ATC staff, and how they deal with the depression, with a whole new slant on how to feel "alive" again.

John Cusack, Billy Bob Thorton, Angelina Jolie, Cate Blanchett.... as I said, its a corny movie but with a couple of really funny moments... worth the $3 just for the scene!

grrowler
6th Feb 2003, 01:46
Actually watched Pushing Tin with a few of my work colleagues last weekend, and debate has raged as to whether that "wake turbulence" scene would actually happen or not. Basically two guys stand on the middle of the threshold while a 74 lands over the top, and they get blown about 5 metres into the air.

My thoughts: a jet coming into land has minimal thrust, you're not going to get jet blasted, and if you're standing in the middle of the threshold, the vortices aren't gonna get ya.

Anyone got an educamated answer?

B767MAD
6th Feb 2003, 11:42
A mate of mine has been standing at the end of runway 25 at YSSY. He said a 737 (the most common I see with the trails) over-flew and caused a rather large amount of damage to some young to middle ages tree's.

They needed to be knocked over anyway , Thai would take them out with the MD-11 otherwise!

Oh and I guess I am a Aerosexual too. :D

Northern Chique
7th Feb 2003, 10:47
hey grrowler.....

scientific research project for you then! I can patch the wake volunteers as the get blown about... Im sure youd find enough mad uni students about.....

Ive seen some spectacular water vortecies generated in light rain conditions. reaching and expanding to the centre of the runway and rolling outwards... wingtip vortecies that is... lots of other air disturbances around landing aircraft as well. Air forced under the wing, causes disturbances as it hits the ground and has to change directions..Wheels, flaps, etc.... I sure as hell aint gonna try it...

Towering Q
8th Feb 2003, 06:26
Can hear the vortices at work on the back 9 at the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Golf Course. At least when the heavy metal, (would that include 146?) is using 29.

To get even closer to the action drop into the drainage ditch inside the perimeter fence. It's about 10 foot deep and is only meters from the threshold. Hope the Airport Security dude isn't a ppruner. :O

dogcharlietree
8th Feb 2003, 10:14
Up at Rocky many years ago, we experienced the awsome sound of wing tip vorticies. The evening was so still and calm. We were probably about 4nm from the 15 threshold and laterally displaced prob about 1-2nms. The aircraft (I cannot remember the type, but prob a jet) went past from right to left. It was well out of sight when this incredible rustling-whipping sound approached from the right getting louder and louder.
This was incredibly awsome, eerie, spookie. As it passed from right to left and diminishing in volume, I told my friend that that was an excellent example of wing-tip vorticies.
It was certainly an experience I shall never forget.