PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of speech and privacy

ezyops
31st Jan 2003, 22:36
There have been a few posts recently that have suggested that the regime in ezy ops is constricting. In fact that staff are being watched like hawks and their freedom of speech curtailed.
According to one of the recent posts the management are actively seeking out staff and silence those who dont follow precisely the company line which is clearly an unacceptable breach of personal freedoms.
If this is the standard behaviour then how do airlines recruit?
Is there such a thing as free speech and privacy in the airline business, or is individualism not on the agenda?
Does anyone know of any airline ops departments who do encourage or at least allow free thought and speech? If this is the standard behaviour then another sphere of business may becon for those staff not happy to work under such constricting and totalitarian conditions.

VIKING9
1st Feb 2003, 07:48
.....as an outsider I would say that the mentality at EZY has always been the same since day 1. Freedom of speech is not allowed. Hence the saying "you've been tangoed :confused:

How long will EZY last in this present state is anyone's guess, but with the very large amount of unhappy people within, and a vast amount of ex GOE people NOT moving across, I assume that things will get worse very quickly, rather than get better very slowly.........:( I stick to my previous line of thinking with EZY. I'd NEVER work for them for any amount of money.

bspng
1st Feb 2003, 22:00
ezy are a high profile company listed on the stock exchange, "the webs' favourite airline", clearly not the employees favourite airline. How will they recruit experienced staff if posts like the previous reply to this topic are considered typical of the view of EZY amongst professionals within the airline business?:(

paperpusher
3rd Feb 2003, 02:07
It is my understanding that the management in ezy keep an eye on pprune and see fit to challange any post seen to de-moralise or "slag off" certain aspects of the ezy way of life, It happened to me,(not with ezy) where a manager tackled me over a post where somebody took exception to something I had written.
The problem is after a little while, in most cases, your username is utterly useless because people know who you are. Answer, change your username on a regular basis or guard it with your life :p
Rgds PP

no sig
3rd Feb 2003, 10:22
What? easyJet managers on PPRUNE, never.....

JB007
3rd Feb 2003, 10:37
If you guys are been watched, i'd agree with Pp, change your user name or style of writing often, it's actually easy to have a clue who someone is by what they've written, phrases etc etc..from within the company.

Hope things are all ok Pp ? I think your laid back enough to let the EZY crap just wash over you...(if you haven't already left!)

VIKING9
3rd Feb 2003, 12:40
easyJet managers don't go on Pprune do they nosig ?? :O

famous grouse
3rd Feb 2003, 17:41
So maybe I was right about Easyjet in my postings about the Glasgow Ops/Dispatcher course all along with regards Easyjet and its 20 or so students ??

See extract below (full version I'm sure you've all read !!!!!!!)

"If you had actually read my previous posts you would understand what I meant. But I'll explain again in the context it was meant, out of your 20 or so Easyjet students taking this course, if you actually asked them "off the record" what they thought of the course you might be surprised, Yes possible retribution. As you so rightly pointed out, some are novices and any of your staff not complying with your standard and also "happen to be a bit of a PPRUNE'r" are hardly likely to speak out if they are "known" to you. Nothing sinister intended, I was just asking you to maybe accept there is room for improvement. "

If this is the style/regime adopted at Easyjet then I too would be very reluctant to post my views here about this "excellent" course wouldn't I No Sig

Keep the faith you guys and gals at Easyjet, what goes around comes around.

Cheers FG

paperpusher
3rd Feb 2003, 20:28
Its nice to have it confirmed that ezy mngmt don't go onto pprune:rolleyes: see you soon nosig

3rd Feb 2003, 21:18
if anyone seriously believes that the current work climate in easyJet is anything other than seriously demoralising/frustrating is frankly deluding themselves. There is little that encourages the current staff and the current environment feels very constricting both personally and professionally. The feeling of overwhelming frustration is the central theme on most days. So if the management are actively seeking out dissenters, and i dont know if they are or arent, then they may be surprised at just how many there are! Although there is a mood afoot that would not be surprised by any such action.

Dispatcher
15th Feb 2003, 15:28
you guys ain't the only ones !! bmi aren't the industry leaders in man-management skills either !!

it's not gonna change any time soon either - like it or lump as 'the boss' says !!

famous grouse
15th Feb 2003, 17:28
Dispatcher,

It's the same wherever you go mate, the old saying applies

"promoted beyond the limits of their incompetence !!"

I think what managers fail to realise is that if you push people so far they bite back and find themselves with no alternative but to move.

Lets face it would we all move round at the rate we do if our "managers" were doing their job properly ?

Give and take no longer applies, its all take take. But we do live in a democracy as long as you don't think for yourself !!

regards
FG