PDA

View Full Version : Irish Air Core

jetset737
25th Mar 2001, 01:03
I have an interview next thursday in Casement Aerodrome, has anyone got any tips or what the format of the interview is.

Riccarton
25th Mar 2001, 01:48
Have you tried posting your question on the Irish equivalent of PPRuNe?

www.irishaviation.net (http://www.irishaviation.net)

Look under "Irish Air Corps" (PS Note the spelling of Corps - or does your spelling indicate a wind-up?)

--------------------------------------------

Edit: The internet address I gave above doesn't seem to be producing anything. Try www.web-ie.com/irishav/ (http://www.web-ie.com/irishav/)

[This message has been edited by Riccarton (edited 24 March 2001).]

Vmike
25th Mar 2001, 04:18
To the Irish Air Core:

Don't hire anybody who can't spell the name of your Air Corps.

You may well have one of the Worlds most exclusive fying clubs, but if you open the doors to all and sundry, you must expect some riff raff to show up.

Undercarraige
25th Mar 2001, 17:00
Just some quick pointers. I presume it is the first interview of the process you are attending based on the information on your thread

1.) The interview is designed to eliminate the very weak candidates from the process. ie. People they feel will not make competent officers in the Defence Forces.

2.) Have a thorough knowledge of the Air Corps and the entire Defence Forces in general. YOU WILL BE ASKED ABOUT THIS!

3.) Try and overcome your nerves and show excellent maturity and confidence. Convince them that you will make an excellent officer and pilot with them.

4.) You will be interviewed by two current serving Air Corps personnel, although only one of them will probably be a pilot. Expect that member to ask you questions about aviation eg how does an airplane fly, Describe how one would go about flying a circuit.

5.) You will be asked about the fleet of aircraft the Air Corps operate. Make sure you have a thorough knowledge of this, as it shows interest. Basically, these are the questions they want to see if you can answer. They are not going to hire someone who dosen't even know what aircraft they fly etc.

6.) Make sure you are up to date with current affairs. Even if you read the paper between now and the interview on Thursday, you should have sufficient knowledge of the main headlines.

7.) Should you get through this stage, you will progress onto the Aptitude testing stage with PARC aviation. These test are exactly the same as the Aer Lingus ones and you can find details of these by doing a search on this site.

8.) Lastly, should you become successful be prepared to spend the thoughest eight months of your life doing pre flying military training in Cadet school. You will be pushed to your physical and mental limits. They will ask you if you know about the training involved. Make sure you do and let them understand that you realise it will very tough. They appreciate honesty because I can gaurantee you that they will not have enjoyed one minute of theirs.

9.) Place a reply with your e-mail address on this thread if you want any further information. I will gladly expand on any issues or questions you may have.

Finally, best of luck and remember portray confidence and maturity on the day. Let us know how you got on!

TwoDeadDogs
25th Mar 2001, 20:00
Hi jetset
What does one need?
Well,you've got rugger and golf,so you're halfway there.Team games are just the job,especially if one can be culled to play for the national team or one of the better county teams.The Irish Army absolutely adores successful sportsmen in its ranks.
Who's yer Da? Is he somebody? All the better if he is.Nothing like a bit of pull.Ignore whatever they say about canvassing getting you disqualified.Never did before.
Are you a twin or a woman? Better again.Try and be one of these,if you can.The Air Corps is lagging behind in its numbers of female everything and is trying like mad to catch up.
Don't have a Dublin accent,whatever you do.You will be filtered out very early on.County accents are acceptable as long as they aren't too thick.
Be aware that being a flyer is officially secondary to the job of being an officer.Don't be too gushy about flying.
If you do get to the wings course,work hard.The pass rate is usually 4 out of 12 per Course.As soon as you pass,sit your civvie CPL/ATPL exams(just keep it quiet).You'll soon enter the Old Boys network and be looked after.Make sure you fly fixed-wing types,preferably jets or turbos.Keep your eye fixed on the Main Gate(Civvie Street)at all times.
Good luck!
TDD

jetset737
25th Mar 2001, 20:09
UnderCarrage and TDD me e-mail Ad. is
[email protected] in you have any other info. I'd really appreciate it.

Undercarraige
25th Mar 2001, 23:21
Jetset,

Have a look at your e-mails. I have sent some extra information to you.

Teroc
26th Mar 2001, 11:31
I remember a comment attributed to the air corp by one very experienced person..

"....driving kiddie cars around the cabbage patch"

Never quite understood it... ;)

[This message has been edited by Teroc (edited 26 March 2001).]

Sprawler
26th Mar 2001, 21:01
Have a look at http://www.irishaviation.net/forums/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi