PDA

View Full Version : Wings (Protocols)

traffic cop
25th Mar 2001, 00:21
Are there any rules or (more likely) protocols governing the wearing of pilots' 'wings'?

At what point during flying training is it practice to wear them: completion of first solo, granting of PPL? Or is it just down to each FTO?

Thanks for advice.

PA38
25th Mar 2001, 01:12
Who cares?
But when I am flying in my little warrior I am in command of a "ship"
Can I call myself captain when I am not at the controls?

[This message has been edited by PA38 (edited 24 March 2001).]

Rusty Cessna
25th Mar 2001, 02:25
I once knew a fellow...who once was told,"after your PPL you are legally allowed to wear 1 bar!" And so he does, he was also told "after each 100 hours, you can add a bar" so he does...and he is ever striving for that 4th bar, various other requirement s were brought into play regarding gold bars!

Muchos funny, as this guy is ummm whats the word....well you know what I mean.

fantum farter
25th Mar 2001, 05:29
TC
Don't know if you want to wear wings to impress people in sainsburys or what but I would think you would look like a **** if I saw you.
concentate more on improving you flying rather than what you look like.

------------------
PFFFFFFSSSSST !!!

Oldie Volvo
25th Mar 2001, 11:09
Sorry mate, the only wings that matter come
with a military uniform - regardless of service. The rest, along with the pretty
stripes and gold braid is there to impress the punters. I will now light the blue touch
paper and retire to a safe distance.......

Oldie Volvo
25th Mar 2001, 11:16
Sorry mate, the only wings that matter are
military ones - regardless of service. The
rest including all the stripes and gold braid
is just window dressing to impress the punters. I will now light the blue touch-paper and retire to a safe distance........

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Mar 2001, 18:03
Don't friend. Or else in years to come in your professional career you will forever be haunted by the prospect of a picture someday surfacing at work...

aerostude
25th Mar 2001, 18:29
If you aren't in the military or a commercial type then don't bother, at least if you want to be taken seriously.

EGDR
26th Mar 2001, 01:44
Just take me out and shoot me, please .......

driver1
26th Mar 2001, 02:16
hey Volvo, what do you mean that only military wings matter? oh i am sorry, forgot, it means that you think you are superior!!

me thinks not!!!

:)

[This message has been edited by driver1 (edited 25 March 2001).]

traffic cop
26th Mar 2001, 12:40
Well, that's answered that!

Seems that most would consider a flying clubs' 'pilots' wings' a bit naff as well? That was my main query on the privilege of wearing them.

Cheers, guys. :)

StrateandLevel
26th Mar 2001, 23:44
Only girls and douvet fluffers wear brooches!

The man formerly known as
27th Mar 2001, 19:14
Does the same protocol apply to green flight suits with pockets in the knees and daggers??

Light and stand back.......

swiftlee
28th Mar 2001, 15:46
douvet fluffers indeed. much the same as a pillow biter? like the chap who was at anglo-american in san diego at the same time as me last jan who was so proud to wear his wings even before his first solo.

the mincer was then so terrified of going up on his own (after about 35 hours) that he trembled for about 3 days prior. on landing afterwards the instructors threw the obligatory bucket of water over him, at which point he broke down into uncontrollable sobbing. then went home to mummy never to fly again.

the moral of the story being: dont wear wings

Lard Beast
28th Mar 2001, 19:21
...Besides you look like such a wozzer when they pull the body out of the wreck still wearing shiny gold wings........

Retires to a little more than a safe distance after lighting touch paper...

SKYYACHT
28th Mar 2001, 19:55
WOTTA BOUT WATCHES THEN......C'MON, BREITLING AEROSPACES......NAVITIMERS ET AL?
A CASIO OR TIMEX WOULD BE JUST AS GOOD.

tailwinds :)

AffirmBrest
28th Mar 2001, 20:32
Hear hear! Wonder what old Freud would make of all those shiny wings and watches 'pilots' like to wear...

Never got 'em myself, never will - but the only wings that count are those awarded by the military. Anything else is just lets-pretend-pilots.

..and they make me wear pair with a 'logo' in the middle, designed by some 26yo N. London graphics graduate... :rolleyes:

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

traffic cop
28th Mar 2001, 22:04
At the risk of further stirring this hornets' nest, did I mention white silk scarves? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

x/wind
28th Mar 2001, 22:22
That's the preserve of chopper pilots! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

At a recent local bash, there just HAD to be one. :)

------------------
Always look on the bright side of life...

Pandora
29th Mar 2001, 01:12
At my flying school the boys always wanted to know if the girls had got their brown wings.

What did they mean by that, I wonder? :)

schuler_tuned
29th Mar 2001, 11:23
Wings, just one thing to say...Claire Raynor....AHHHHH!!!

Lard Beast
29th Mar 2001, 17:32
Everyone knows the only wings worth anything anyway are military jump wings!

Leaps into dustbin, does para roll and pulls lid shut........

Harves
29th Mar 2001, 19:19
Surely it would be more sensible to do the para roll before leaping into the bin !!! (unless of course, you are talking about an industrial bin)

SKYYACHT
30th Mar 2001, 19:46
How 'bout The obligatory leather Brain bag flying case......gotta be covered in stickers advertising upmarket hotels and types of aircraft never flown...?

Gear Down three greens

Tailwinds