PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy for Disruption at LGW 30th Jan 2003

bealine
31st Jan 2003, 09:48
Originally, this was going to go out as an apology to pax caught in yesterday’s disruption at LGW. However, whilst the vast majority of pax with whom I came in contact were good natured and allowed us to get on with the tasks in hand, there were a handful of “loud-mouths” who succeeded in overturning the good work my colleagues and I had done!

After seeing so may people caught out by the cold snap, I reserve my apologies for the time-being and, instead, offer my sympathy! For once, British Airways were NOT at fault, contrary to the “loud-mouths’” ravings, for the following reasons:

1. Lightning hit the electrical systems of the main Control Tower at approximately 10.00 yesterday morning. This had the double-effect of knocking out the I.L.S. (Instrument Landing System) and about 50% of the Approach and Runway lighting.
2. The closure of the runway for about an hour caused disruption as aircraft diverted.
3. Frequent heavy snow showers and a heavy blanket of cloud caused intermittent obscuring of the airport. Many aircraft diverted during these temporary “blot-outs” because of the lack of I.L.S.
4. At dusk, the runway had to be closed again as temperatures plummeted and ice formed. This was to permit de-icing and gritting of the main runway (for obvious reasons). During this time, aircraft already en-route to LGW had to divert.
5. The diversions of aircraft caused disruption, delay and cancellation to services. During this time the “back-office boys” did their absolute best to re-plan and re-programme the schedule to get the majority of our pax on the move.

Unfortunately, there are always a handful of people who don’t appreciate, no matter how much they’re told, just what Herculean efforts are going on behind the scenes when:

a. Aircraft in the wrong places have to obtain new Flight Plans and new slots for arrival back to LGW.
b. No extra staff are on duty to cover for disruption – that’s a luxury the airline can no longer afford!
c. Captains, First Officers and Crew can only work and fly for a fixed number of hours each day. As the delays build, more and more of our flying staff go “out of hours”, piling on the pressure!
d. Once these diversions start, the whole Operation becomes a logistical nightmare – trying to juggle Aircraft, Captain & First Officer, Cabin Crew, Ground Staff, Baggage Loaders, De-Icing Crew, Cargo personnel, Engineering Staff, Weelchair handlers and Coach drivers (in necessary) to be all in the vicinity of the flight together is quite a task – believe me!
e. During weather disruption, because it is beyond the control of the airline (we have to pass that to the Higher Authority – the Great Architect Himself!), we do not provide compensation or meal vouchers

So, all things considered, I think we did a pretty good job last night!

Of course, there are those who will disagree – the same people that criticise the Highways Agency for our road network grinding to a halt!
Unfortunately, for a country that has bad cold weather disruption once every 4/5 years, we’re not going to spend millions and millions of pounds on snow clearing plant and equipment – especially under private ownership!

(Also posted at www.flyertalk.com FT Miles British Airways forum)

ExSimGuy
31st Jan 2003, 10:51
WOW ! Glad I flew out on the 29th;)

Is it cleared up now (the WX)? How has that hit the load backlog?

I am planning to fly back on Monday and have the privelidge of a "staff" ticket, so "standby" flight might be a worry unless it was only for that one day that services were so badly disrupted.

SLF - don't blame the ground staff and cabin crew when things don't go well - all of the "hassle" of "new security" aftert "9-11" caused many of them to quit as they couldn't handle all the abuse from PAX. "9-11" was hardly their fault, but they suffered from being the ones that disgruntled PAX could easiest take it out on :uhoh:

bealine
31st Jan 2003, 11:16
Hello Ex-SimGuy - FYI, today the WX is bloody cold, but dry and bright! The sun shines brightly on LGW!

Only one BA flight has been cancelled today, a few delays through de-icing (about 25 mins) but pax being boarded on to aircraft on time.

STN is a different kettle of fish! It is closed, although operational, because staff are unable to get to the airport. Many commuters from London are still on the M11 trying to get home after spending 14 hours and more in their cars!

Should be getting warmer tomorrow with temps slightly above freezing!

rsoman
1st Feb 2003, 15:44
Hello Bealine

I suggest you take a look at this thread!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80121

Things were apparently very difficult at LHR.
I feel the person who started the thread has a valid complaint although he seems to have been shouted out by the admirable BA unity in PPRUNE.

While BA certianly cannot be faulted for things which are beyond their control, I presume the real test of good customer services lies in managing crisises! And from the post apparently this was far from ideal at LHR!.

I can sympathise with the poster as this just doesnt seem to be in Heathrow either. A friend of mine has been trying to get back from YYZ for the past two days and BA has been far from eloquent in enlightening him why the flight did not arrive for two days in succession!
Come on guys, we all know that while OPERATIONAL REASONS is an exquisite expression , a more lucid " problems due to runway non availabilty due to weather" is not going to do you any damage! Or will it???

Needless to say my friend has now found a more reliable source of information!
PPRUNE!

(NB This post is no way to crticise the good work the vast majority of airline staff are doing, but only to highlight the fact that more information to passengers does help!)

expedite_climb
1st Feb 2003, 22:45
bealine - any idea what happened to the biz jet stranded at A3 on thursday then ? Was there just after the lightning strike ....

bealine
2nd Feb 2003, 17:39
Sorry, no to any knowledge of biz jet - do you, perchance, know the Registration?.......if so, I'll make enquiries.

expedite_climb
2nd Feb 2003, 17:57
bealine

'fraid not. Saw it as we taxied out via M. "leader 1", vehicle doing something, and door open. Heard something about a tug.

Just thought it was a very odd place to park an a/c !!

DuncanF
3rd Feb 2003, 12:23
Bealine,

Maybe you need to relocate to JFK! I pitched up there on Thursday evening for my flight back to LHR to be told that there were no outbound flights after about 1800 until the afternoon of the 31st due to no planes inbound. I know, should have checked before setting off for JFK!

Nonetheless, I saw no-one having a paddy. The ground staff were doing their best to push people onto available seats on AA and I can honestly say that the pax just dealt with it. Extra tables were set up for reticketing, and the queues moved quite quickly. Remarkable really. The nice lady at the counter went off for a few minutes when I cheekily asked if I could get a double upgrade to BA2 on the 31st, then came back and said "yes". Excellent.

Must remember to pre-book a blizzard next time I fly out there ...

Duncan

ExSimGuy
3rd Feb 2003, 18:16
Thanks Bealine!

I've change plans now due to the delivery time of some computer parts my son wanted me to get while I'm in PHL, so hopefully the WX won't go to ****-in-a-basket again before my new due arrival time Thursday morning, and all outstanding PAX will be cleared so "ID100" will not be a problem ;)

(any PPRuNers working the US126 Wed evening? Not that a flight deck visit is going to be on the cards :sad: )

Stu

Desk Driver
12th Feb 2003, 16:25
Keep up the good work bealine.

When they're not bitching at you they're bitching at us.

BTW

All Airport Rabble Rousers should be shot.
Complaining is one thing but stirring others up to do the same is unforgiveable!

Ann Robinson.............One Day..........One Day!!

skintmuppet
13th Feb 2003, 20:02
The biz jet at A3 lost all steering control and obviously stuck!