PDA

View Full Version : Tips on passing Law and Ops?????

RowleyUK
31st Jan 2003, 08:58
Can anyone give any advice on how to pass Law and Ops!!!

These two are my worst subjects......What should i do?

Are they really both just about learning feedback?If so, whose feedback? Oxfords?

Anyone got any learnin tips or know what the key facts are that i should learn?

GonvilleBromhead
31st Jan 2003, 09:43
Don't panic Rowley, I think I posted a question exactly the same as this before I did Law and Ops.

Yes, good feedback is very, very useful for these two, I did mine with BGS and they had excellent feedback. I sat these two exams in September last year, and the questions we had, and you can almost certainly guarentee coming up are things like:-

Aircraft seperations - learn them cos they are almost certain to appear, but gifts once you know 'em (Landing, take off, wake turbulence, radar). If you're with BGS, learn the wake turb table off by heart, gift.

Minima / RVR - learn

DH / MDH

Emergency equipment, numbers of rafts, extinguishes etc etc...distances different cat of aircraft can fly with what type of emergency equipment.

The JAA seem to have a fixation with oxygen, number of masks needed, what altitude do you need it, who exactly needs it, at what alt i.e. is it 10% of pax and crew, or all pax and some crew, or no pax no crew but the animals in the hold etc etc...get the picture ? Fun fun fun....

Icing / De-icing (hold over times)

Fire warnings

ETOPS

The various conventions, Rome, Tokyo etc, doddle.

Requirements for different licences (yes a drag but they do appear) i.e night hours for ATPL, cross country, command time hours blah blah blah, CPL requirements, and their associated priveledges.

Responsibilities of the various crew members / aircraft operator (quite big on this).

Lighting at airports, dimensions and arrangements of lighting
(hmm I know)

Rules of the Air, signals, emergency signals from the ground etc etc....

IFR/VFR procedures

Requirements for different types of airspace classes A-G, speeds in that airspace, differences between those classes.

Obviously it goes without saying, don't just learn the feedback, but these are primarily about just learning facts, not too much understanding required so feedback is important here.

Hope that helps. They were certainly the types of thing that I had on my papers, can't have changed too much since then, but hey, this is JAA so who knows.

I got decent grades in these two and as I say, was a bit worried beforehand. Don't worry they're not too bad, if a bit dull.

Good luck.

Tubbs
31st Jan 2003, 10:45
I made notes of my own in a jotter, which summarised all the important main points of each chapter in my notes. I tried to make my notes as easy to read and clear as possible, with diagrams and tables where appropriate. Diagrams and drawings are much easier to learn and remember than figures, so if you can translate a piece of information into a picture you will be able to recall it much more easily.
Look at the feedback and you will notice (as the previous posting points out) that there are patterns and exam 'favourites'. These give you an idea of the areas of the topic where particular attention should be paid. I did this and took my notes and distilled them even further into cards. I also took A4 sheets and plastered my walls with them - I found it helpful to move around the room, stand and sit or do the washing up whilst reciting a table or whatever. Experiment and find what works best for you.
I also found nmemonics very useful for learning lists (for example, documents that have to be carried etc).
However you do it, the important things is to put in the hours and make every hour count. Law and Ops are fairly boring, but in small concentrated doses you can liven it up by setting yourself goals. It's amazing how quickly you can learn a reasonably complicated list of airspeeds/runway figures etc by being a bit creative.
Best of luck with the exams.

mad_jock
31st Jan 2003, 13:14
I learned all the seperations

Then spent 3 nights sitting in the pub going through the OAT feedback questions.

Also brush up on the polar grid nav. It actually seemed to make sense after 4 pints of Old Orkney.

MJ

Capt Wannabe
31st Jan 2003, 17:45
Just to add to the above replies, it really is worth getting as much correct feedback as possible. Do the questions over and over and over and over and over again until you have learnt them inside out. Add to that a good knowledge of the areas mentioned above and you will pass. It may not be the correct way to pass, but it works