PDA

View Full Version : Students in Jerez read!

the kebabman
30th Jan 2003, 22:58
I'm due to start in Jerez in February and was just trying to get a general idea of the average week. From what I've been told monday to friday is groundschool 9-5, then we will be expected to study for about 2-4 hours on our own afterwards. How many hours do most of you guys do a day/week? Then weekends are upto us right? What do most of you do at the weekends? Basically I need to know how much money to organise for a week/month. How often do people go into town? I have been told there's a minibus for our use. I went out to visit Jerez in May last year and the place looked amazing. Do you lot get much use out of the gym/pool/footie etc...?

I understand this post might not be allowed to stand, however if someone could email me about the questions I would be very greatfull. [email protected] Thanks again.

PitotStatic
1st Feb 2003, 10:33
The first five months of the course is full time ground school. This is run from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. The day consists of 6 lessons with a fifteen minute break each hour. Lunch is from 12.30 to 1.30. Evening study is left up to yourself so it will be up to you to judge the amount of time you want to spend at it. You will find that for the first three months about 2 hours will do but as you get closer to exams you can expect to double that at least. In the final few weeks you will probably increase that even further.

It is important to take a day off each week to recharge the batteries. The phase 1 groundschool guys usually take either a Saturday or Sunday off and usually go out one of these nights in town. Remember the night out down here normally means falling in the gates at 7 or 8 the following morning!! You should make the most of going out in the early stages as the workload does increase the further into the course you go. In phase two when you start flying you will be flying a lot of weekends. The days you get off really will more or less be the days you're instructor has off. Even then, you may have a few solo flights to catch up on when he/she may not be in. It also depends on how many duty hours you have left. There are only a certain amount of hours you can do a day/week.

In terms of money, it depends really how much you want to spend. Everything is much cheaper here than at home so you'll probably find that you only really spend on the nights you are out.

You will get time to use the pool/gym/footie etc The temperatures in the summer are a minimum of 35 degrees plus. You will think you are on holidays the days you are off sitting by the pool roasting in the hot sunshine. You will be well used to the sun when you go home after the course. In saying that you will have work to keep up to date with.

Hope this is of some help. The weather is staring to warm up nicely again so it won't be long before some trips to the beach will be organised again:D

moggie
2nd Feb 2003, 12:25
If you have a car, I would suggest bringing it down. Get it MOTd just before you leave, let the tax lapse after you get here (declare it SORN at your parents address) and then come down via the chunnel and France.

Petrol is around 50p per litre and most other car bits etc. are cheaper. It is a 10 min drive into Jerez (similar from Kidlington to Oxford, by the way) and 30 min plus to the beach - you will be the most popular guy on the course (your mates will pay your petrol!).

window-seat
2nd Feb 2003, 17:55
Hi Kebabman,

If I were you, take your Kebab van with you and park it outside the blue gates, you will make a fortune every night!!!!:p It would probably pay for the course!

I've only been back from Jerez about 6 weeks, and I am starting to miss certain things........The flying (hav'nt been near a plane since the easyjet flight home), the weather, the young ladies and the cheap cost of living!!! :rolleyes: I will let you make up your own mind about the canteen food! (Pizza Hut anyone)???;)

The course is very demanding, but very do-able if you put in the work! This is easier than it sounds due to the campus environment. You and your course mates will get into a routine of studying, revising, relaxing etc, etc. When they all dissapear to their rooms, its your que to do the same and hit the books!

During your first few weeks, as the dreaded Progress Tests start to wake you up, you will realise just how much work you need to do to reach the required level, it may be more or less than other people on your course. It is very important for the course to work as a team, all helping each other out where possible! This in itself is a test as at the end of the day, you are all going to be in competition with each other in the aviation job market!!

But, you must find time to enjoy yourself too. Spain is a fantastic country, very different from the UK. Take the opportunity to sample the local delights........;) If it all gets too much, Gib is just 1.5 hrs drive away, there you will find all the comforts of home, a good Curry House, good beer, and a Safeway supermarket!!

If you need a cheap motor whilst out there, I suggest you get together with a couple of others on your course and head off to see Blas at the local Ford garage. He speaks good English, and has a fine collection of old battered motors for you to choose from. He will buy the car back off you when you have finished the course (for around half what you paid), and will sort all the paper work and insurance out for you which is an nightmare to do yourself!!

Work hard and enjoy your time out there. Its a fantastic experience :)

Good luck, W-S.

p.s. if your parents want to come and visit, don't book them into the 'Hotel Club' at the top of the road. :eek: