PDA

View Full Version : HeliJobs for ancient retirees?

pa42
30th Jan 2003, 16:00
What kinds of operations have you seen that hire grey-haired grandfathers who are casualties of the FAA's mandatory-retirement-at-age-60 rule?

If seized-wing flying is boring (been there, done that) and helicopters are still fun (like 1000 hrs heli peasure flying & still going strong), which industries truly don't mind hiring Old pilots?

The obstacles are, I suppose, mainly medical unknowns--even with 1st class medical, the employer has no assurance the pilot won't (a) suddenly quit the job to enter hospital for some geriatric problem, or (b) keel over in flight from heart attack & (sob!) prang that expensive fling-wing. And any passengers.

Who collects success stories for the surplus-birthdays-crowd? Or, perish the thought, instances of very senior pilots who should have quit flying before their senior-moment-accident?

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jan 2003, 19:21
I know of one Brit of a similar description (a medical retiree in his case) who makes a good living writing operators manuals and associated documentation on the RW side. Presumably there are such jobs in the US and it's generally close enough to the operational side to get a certain amount of free flying (familiarisation don't you know).

If you were FW, I'd also say sim instructor, but I've no idea if such jobs are equally available on the RW side.

G

Nigel Osborn
30th Jan 2003, 21:01
Migrate to Australia!! Here you just have to be healthy and capable and then casual or permanent jobs are available. Quite a few companies have found out the more 'mature' pilot can often do a better job than the young novice who hopefully can learn from their older clleagues.:rolleyes: :O

GLSNightPilot
31st Jan 2003, 21:46
Try offshore operators on the Gulf coast. Most are hiring, & if you have the flight time, I don't see a problem. The upside for the companies is that they can hire an experienced pilot cheaply for a relatively short time. You won't be around long enough to cost a huge amount in benefits, most likely. Hiring a young kid is expensive in the long run, because he might stay around until retirement, so they try to discourage him along the way.

Someone else suggested sim instructor. Flight Safety has Bell sims in Ft Worth, TX and Sikorsky sims in West Palm Beach, FL. You might try there, I have no idea about whether they're hiring or not.