PDA

View Full Version : Sending SMS via ICQ to Vodafone UK?

Mo Heekan
30th Jan 2003, 12:36
Hi all,

I'm trying to send sms's to friends on Vodafone UK, but it keeps saying:

"The cellular network is unable to send your message to the recipient. Please try again later"

I've checked that Vodafone is on the ICQ sms list and it is and i've made sure that I don't put a '0' in the numbers, but it just won't work. The sms feature does work here in the Middle East though.

ICQ 'help' comes up with the rubbish replies, as if they haven't read my email. So, i'm wondering if anyone else has got it to work.

Thanks in anticipation

Mo

EDIT: I'm using ICQ lite

phnuff
30th Jan 2003, 15:02
Try sending from www.o2.co.uk. after registration, you get 100 free SMS's per month

Nightrider
30th Jan 2003, 20:39
did you try to put the "0" in.....:D ...works for me...

fobotcso
30th Jan 2003, 21:17
Good Question,

Access to "free" SMS has been diminishing over the last few months. Vodafone used to provide this service to clients on their "Vizzavi" site but allowed only 132 characters unstead of the usual 160.

They stopped this recently. as did Lycos who used to provide a similar service. But Lycos and O2 will still give free SMS PROVIDED THAT YOU GIVE THEM YOUR MOBILE PHONE NUMBER! There's the rub.

I refuse to give my mobile number to anyone for no good reason, and there is no good reason for Lycon and O2 to need it other than to use to "Spam" it and provide it to their "Partners" for the same reason.

Back to struggling with the mobile keyboard!

Mo Heekan
31st Jan 2003, 02:48
Thanks for replying guys,

NR: I tried what you suggested but it didn't work. Would you please detail your exact setup for this i.e. give an example please. I still get the same message no matter what i try.

Phnuff & Fobby: Yep, finding the same thing everywhere. I use O2, but i'm continually trying to find back ups as the services keep disappearing under the guise of money making :(

Thanks again chaps

Mo