View Full Version : Mil use of confined areas

The Nr Fairy
30th Jan 2003, 09:16
I was hoping to avoid creating a topic, but can't see much of a way round it.

I gather that some mil helicopter units use confined areas on private land where the landowner has given permission. An acquaintance of mine near where I live manages a farm, and would be willing to allow the use of any suitable confined areas if it won't disrupt the farm operations too much.

Who's the best person to speak to ? Someone at MW was my first thought, but I don't know exactly who to ask for.

PM / email if you think you'd be interested, or if you know someone who might.

teeteringhead
30th Jan 2003, 10:42
Well done that man for wanting to help! Don't know the exact contact for MW but I'm sure someone will come up with the answer. But don't forget Odiham/Benson/Yeovilton and even Shawbury who regularly use "The Plain".

Shawbury's system pays a peppercorn rent for the priviledge (£20 a year or something) which most of "their" farmers don't bother to collect - they also get an invite to the annual Cocktail party and a specific "Landowners day" with a flight in the morning to see their farm, followed by a very alcoholic lunch!

Thanks again to your mate - its good to know people are glad to help ..... I remember talking to a landowner once at Strawberry about the time of Op BARRASS (Sierra Leone hostage rescue) nad he asked me if those pilots had trained using his fields. When I said that they almost certainly had at some time, he grew about 2 inches in height and got all misty-eyed!

PS Try websites for useful initial numbers; PRO/CRO as first call - once you get "in" the proper number will come easily.

ShutUp and Drive
31st Jan 2003, 10:21
Lovely to hear a member of the public wanting to help rather than complain!

I know from experience that there is a real shortage of "proper" confined areas in particular, and plain old common and garden fields. This is particularly true in the Benson area.

Try Sqn Ldr Ops as a first POC and he will put you in touch with the correct authority depending on the low flying area the land falls under. As Teetering Head suggested, the CRO/PRO could help too.

Good luck and hope to be usinf the new fields soon.:D