PDA

View Full Version : Big dogs and little dogs

Onan the Clumsy
29th Jan 2003, 22:02
I glance at the Freight Dog forum from time to time, but it usually seems to contain topics relating to larger airplanes.

Is there anyone out there like me, hauling stuff in light twins?

[Part time C402, bank stuff and lab work, mostly at night]

neil armstrong
29th Jan 2003, 22:27
Hello O t C,
I did start Freight Doging on the small twins (BE-18) , in Texas.
I think a lot of the freight dogs did start that way.
But im glad that my A/C is a bit more reliable these day's (B727).
Good luck on the C402

Neil

PS where are you in Texas?

Onan the Clumsy
30th Jan 2003, 02:19
I'm out of DAL.

I did an SIC programme and then got signed off as a VFR PIC on the 402. It's hard work, especially after doing a full 8 hours at the day job, but I enjoy it and feel that I'm learning a lot. I'm getting close to the magic 1200 so hopefully, I'll soon get an IFR sign off too.

I was reading earlier the thread about being hired by an airline at 250 hrs and someone pointed out that it might be more rewarding to do different types of flying before getting on with an airline. I think that's probably true and wonder how many people who made the jump from long night trips in old a/c to turbine equipment have some fond memories for the old days. Of course that's easy for me to say, not having to do it every day :D

I love the 402 though. Great airplane. I've jumped out of a Beech 18, and hopefully will get to fly one someday. Where did you fly them?

TKFS
30th Jan 2003, 13:20
G'day guys.

I do a bit of night freight in a 402c. Used to do it in a 20,000 hour PA-31. I love night flying and would like to fly night freight fulltime in a Metro.

CR2
30th Jan 2003, 17:24
All freight dogs, big or small welcome here :) ;)

Conc
30th Jan 2003, 22:15
Flown freight in the 402 and 406 and currently fly the DC-6. Group I work for operates everything from the 406 through to the DC-6 and Electra. I have enjoyed it all!

RampTramp
31st Jan 2003, 08:52
Hey, St. Bernard or Chihuahua, there both dogs. In this case, size doesn't matter.:D

Go-Around
31st Jan 2003, 10:10
Last summer I ferried alternators and magentos about in a Robin for a couple of days. Does that count? ;)

meatball
2nd Feb 2003, 15:29
Great Thread !
As a child I had recurrent dreams; one was the DC-3, the other a Falcon 20 and finally the L-1011.
The DC 3 part came true as did the Falcon, but no luck with my favorite Trijet.
Memories of water-leaking overhead radio audio panel in the 3, to the point of a true real loss of radio in IFR..later holding a bucket for the tech. to pour out the water...midnight take off out of a storm covered municipal airport in Tennesse hauling car panel sections to Michigan smack through the worst ( so far ) cell I have ever had the displeasure to meet..we had no radar, no automatic pilot but there was a special hole in the fuselage near the cargo door that allowed one to pee without reverse flow into the face...Falcon was called the old mans jet, a big jet with a small body systems-wise, and a pleasure to play with on empty
legs...didnīt have to use the chute ever.
The L 1011 remains a dream, somehow maybe gone forever...:p

Pilot Pete
2nd Feb 2003, 19:27
Hi Onan,

I started on C310, 402, and 404's flying punters and freight both night and day in Scotland. Fond memories, yes. Learnt something from that? Definately! I've got nothing against the 250hr guys, hell they're taking leaps up the career ladder and will in time mature into perfectly reasonable pilots, just like the rest of us (hopefully!) but it's true they have 'missed out' on that certain something that is single crew twin flying in crap weather, no radar, late at night in the winter, picking up ice, over the North Sea, being thrown around all over as you couldn't see it was a CB and wondering if your bladder will hold out until smoother air!!!! Ahhhhhhhh, memories are made of this....................!

Enjoy,

PP ;)

Blue 565
2nd Feb 2003, 19:29
Yes Man,

Of course, i flew F 406 with the Pt6 at Night single pilot back in 88. It is a time and experience i never forget. That experience gets you the bases for the rest of your carreeeeer;

Cheeck and enjoy

Flappo
19th Feb 2003, 08:09
Hi Guys im a little dog too im flying the Metro III , night operation only, by the way the next week we are in Palermo (Palermo-Roma -ciampino)ovr 15 days ... by nigth, best regards .

72jetjok
19th Feb 2003, 11:49
Hi Pilot Pete

you just described perfectly most of my flying days in the C404 - except the bit where an engine started running rough about 130 miles out of Ottringham! (not good for the nerves)

I think the most memorable trip was hauling 10 or 11 paralytic rig workers back from Northern Denmark - again not good for the nerves....don't forget the joys of pneumatic de-icing boots, one of which invariably packed up when you least needed it.....

The weather incidents are too numerous to mention; anyway, for my money, if you can go straight to the right seat of a bigger aeroplane then do it, because no-one is necessarily any better or worse for having done the single crew/night hauling/horrendous weather at low level/frightened fartless every third flight, etc., etc.

GlueBall
19th Feb 2003, 17:45
Used to fly C-402Cs, pax and cargo, single pilot IFR. A fine flying machine with deep rumbling 325hp? Continentals! Wow. But always had to wear earplugs, because I didn't like to wear the heavy David Clark type headsets. :}

Pilot Pete
19th Feb 2003, 23:02
Yeah 727jetjock,

Boots, strewth! Remember ferrying two Tornado jocks from Lossie down to St. Athen (is that how you spell it?) and went into icing abeam Liverpool. Boots worked fine on the ground but low and behold nothing when needed! Choices. Descend into warmer air? No good, zero degree isotherm below MSA. Head out to sea and descend then fly round the coast. Nah, don't much fancy that. 180 and head back to home base (Edinburgh), swap a/c and come back! Yeah, good for the hours too! Went back in a 402 and landed (In Cardiff as destination now shut) behind a United DC-10 which had gone around and diverted to Birmingham due to the now howling gale! The two jocks were now up beside me on approach, in their full immersion suits and pissed (that's two onboard bars they'd drunk themselves through!) loving every minute as I peddled like fury and waggled the stick trying to get it somewhere near the runway!

I don't think low hours guys are any worse either, it's just level of experience which is based on exposure. It's having to have made decisions when there was no one else to ask and it's dealing with problems when you are feeling challenged (due to your lack of experience!!!) Good times though, I shall always remember them.

That glow through the grills from the turbos on the 402 always looked a bit suspect in the middle of the night though didn't it!?

PP

Dockjock
21st Feb 2003, 01:07
Doing it in a C208B around the great lakes in Canada and into the NE USA. Superb area to gain experience in ice with that renowned icing performer- the Caravan (NOT!) err...that was until Monday when I got my very first layoff notice. Don't I feel special!