PDA

View Full Version : Niederrein

Buster the Bear
29th Jan 2003, 20:17
A new destination for Ryanair, but what was it called previously? Is it an ex military base?

FlyingIrishman
29th Jan 2003, 20:18
Niederrhein is ex RAF Laarbruch.

Buster the Bear
29th Jan 2003, 20:37
Thank you kind sir. My German geography is bad. Is this the airport Wiggin's (The owners) were to call Black Forest airport?

So what of Wildenrath & Gutersloh?

Wycombe
29th Jan 2003, 22:28
So, out of 4 ex-RAFG airfields, they have to choose the one that didn't already have an Air Terminal! (courtesy of the MoD)

The one at Gutersloh was a pretty good size, a pity it's now in the middle of an Army Camp (I'm assuming the Terminal is still standing? - years since I was there).

As for Wildenrath it now has trains running around it (Siemens test track) that should really be running around SE England!

Bruggen could have been tricky - you wouldn't know whether you were arriving in Holland or Germany (also now an Army Camp AFAIK).

zed3
30th Jan 2003, 04:11
Another little interesting fact. Neiderrhein is about 40 miles east from Eindhoven which is about 40 miles north of Maastricht , all of which will be served by Ryanair in the near future. Whilst the Dutch like a good deal I didn't know the market was that good !

Andy_S
30th Jan 2003, 10:29
Buster,

Niederrhein (in North West Germany) is run by a Dutch property company.

The 'Black Forest' airport, operated (not owned) by Wiggins is a former Canadian Air Force base at Lahr, near Karlsruhe in South West Germany.

Buster the Bear
30th Jan 2003, 15:13
Thanks for that, my Wiggy mate has been telling little porkies!

Gonna
31st Jan 2003, 08:38
Where Hahn is called Frankfurt, Ryanair will call Niederrein Dusseldorf....

How many miles?

caba
31st Jan 2003, 08:45
about 35 miles from DUS