PDA

View Full Version : CTC. Whats the Score?

NotDeBeacon
29th Jan 2003, 13:48
I graduated from OAT about 6 weeks ago and am now collecting a very impressive stack of rejection letters from airlines, air taxi carriers etc, etc.
Forking out another 6k for CTCs' ATP scheme is now looking appealing. I'd love to hear from anyone whose been through their system. Whats the whole proccess like and most importantly what are the prospects like at the end of it?
Thanks for any advice.

Capt BK
29th Jan 2003, 20:44
I've also looked at the scheme but I would like to ask any past cadets how they managed to get through 8 months without being paid! After reading throught the pack they sent me it looked superb until that point, sure you get a type rating but I have to eat!

fibod
29th Jan 2003, 21:04
I'm not the ex-cadet you are looking for: there are several lurking here. Do a search on CTC and you'll find them (and, perhaps, answers to your questions).

On the subject of money, I understand they pay an allowance which is tax free. £1000 per month springs to mind, but don't quote me on that. You'll get expenses on top of that, so the net result is that you'll probably be as well off as a TP FO while you are on the scheme. Once you've graduated, you'll be on a pretty good starting salary. :cool:

Bluebaron
30th Jan 2003, 09:00
don't get me started on CTC again................:D

do a search for recent discussions for and against CTC.

BB

G-AZUK
30th Jan 2003, 09:51
Monarch are about to take approx 6 CTC for a summer-only contract on the 320, nice type rating to have in the book

Cricketer
30th Jan 2003, 11:23
One thought - might you not be able to get a bank loan secured if you can show you are going to be taken on by an airline???
Even if you already have a large one (Bank loan of course) I am pretty sure they might give you the money (although at the moment with the war who could guarantee that. 80 billion wiped off the market the other day!!

NotDeBeacon
30th Jan 2003, 15:36
No I'm not Dutch. Just had a crazy lecturer for my general Nav' exam who used to refer to NDB's that way!!!

Go-Around
30th Jan 2003, 16:38
Then don't bother going for CTC then!! ;) ;)

mustang1
30th Jan 2003, 17:57
Well I'm not dutch and they seem to have done ok for me.

You do go into the same holding pool as some dutch guys on the Europilot scheme I agree.

Its a good scheme - especially so at the moment with little recruitment by airlines unless you are type rated with an excess of 1500 hrs. It enables the low hour guy to get into some airlines where they would not previously have had a chance to get in - even before 11/9. Monarch is one example given earlier.

TheDream
30th Jan 2003, 18:24
mustang1

Please check your PM

TD

Slim20
30th Jan 2003, 21:31
Well done everyone for not answering his original question........

If you get through it will be the best 6 grand you will ever spend. You don't have to be dutch, or even female. Pass the aptitude tests, get through to the sim stage, and then part with your six grand. It's free to apply up to that point.

I was in the hold pool for about 3 weeks when i got a job. They give you an allowance of £1000/month while you are working for your partner airline, hence i didn't starve. On graduation I went straight on to an F/O salary. Never looked back.

Mister Geezer
31st Jan 2003, 08:43
There is one chap I heard that went straight from CTC and he started on a full salary on day one. I think that was an exceptional case but it can be done.

Bluebaron
31st Jan 2003, 10:39
............and if slim hadn't worked for 1000 a month (and nobody else) then he would have been recruited by an airline directly on full pay and conditions.

sadly it's a dog eat dog world. If everyone stuck together on these issues they the we would all be on 100 grand a year with a final salary pension, first class staff travel and lots more. The airlines are enjoying a great recruitment market, but their time will come.....!!;)

longarm
4th Feb 2003, 10:30
Bluebaron, if he hadn't worked for £1000 a month he would of joined on full pay and conditions. Yes absolutely correct he would also received a house on the french riviera, a new ferrari and his own personal harem.

Of course in the real world he would have continued to receive "thanks, but no thanks" card and letters for months or years to come which is the reality for many qualified pilots.

Apply if you can afford it, its money well spent. I went through in the nineties before they paid you an allowance and it was the best thing I ever did.

foghorn
4th Feb 2003, 11:54
Don't forget that a significant number of people go through the selection, pay their 6 grand but don't make it inot the pool.

It has to be factored into your plans - especially if you already have an MCC, which would make the AQC almost worthless.

Airbus Girl
4th Feb 2003, 14:33
I also went through the scheme on the "old" system. We got around £500 per month plus allowances which were pretty good. It works on both sides - I got a type rating and 300 hours of experience (and a job at the end of it) and the company got 6 months work in exchange for paying for my training/ type rating.
It does not deprive anyone of a job. The airlines like it because they know the people have been through a selection and have passed the training. The pilots like it because they are not bonded to the company for a disgusting amount of money for a number of years, but are free to do what they like after the 6 months (but virtually all are offered jobs at the end). If BALPA do not object to the scheme then I guess they agree.