PDA

View Full Version : GRRR... a little whinge (Server busy)

sky9
28th Jan 2003, 10:05
Are other users finding that PPRuNe is becoming overloaded on a regular basis; it seems to be happening with only about 150 members on-line?
Is there a fault somewhere or is it those "easyJet" banners that are offering pilots no night flights, roster stability and weekends off that are causing the problem?

pilotwolf
28th Jan 2003, 12:03
Me too!

Especially right NOW! Almost everytime I change pages I m getting the Server Busy message. Sometimes its taking 3 or 4 reloads to get the page up...

THought it was me.

RadarContact
28th Jan 2003, 12:19
I especially liked being rerouted to the "The server is too busy at this time..." when trying to view this post :)

Initially thought it was intentional and a good joke.

tony draper
28th Jan 2003, 12:34
Yes this has been happening to me for about a month, I know work was being done on the server a while back and that this worm thing has been causing trouble on many websites in the last few days.
It does not seen to occur only at peek times, I look at the numbers aboard and it is far lower than it had been on occasions.
I even emptied me cache, not sure how these things work but I thought perhaps the sever busy page was being called from the catche instead of the home or forum page.
Other websites I read have been very slow, been getting the unable to display page message on those.
Typed a long post and lost it to the server busy page last night , very frustrating, when yer a one finger typerer, my own fault of course, should have copied and saved it before I hit send .
I never learn . :(

Another slightly off topic question,at one time I could say, log onto the forums, click on say JB, click on a post, read same then just hit the back button and be taken straight back to the JB main page.
I do not seem to be able to do that now, if I hit the back button I get the Page Expired warning,
Is that something to do with my browser??.

PPRuNe Pop
28th Jan 2003, 17:06
I spoke to Danny about this today.

"Server too busy" is just that. It mostly occurs before during and after the lunchtime period, although I noticed a couple of times this morning around 0930. The server, which was replaced some while ago is need of an upgrade - yet again. The consequences of a successful website.

Danny is aware, and he is on the case.

One little tip. It might take a couple of goes, but just go right back in - it often opens again.

BlueEagle
29th Jan 2003, 05:21
In addition to the above - there is a serious virus out at the moment that attacks servers, it has shut down half of South East Asia, as a result traffic is re-routed and major congestion occurs. MS notified customers in July but not all took action, (amazing!).

I am no 'techie' so bear with me, but it says here that, "particularly at risk are MS SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine, Visual Studio .NET and Office XP Developer Edition.

Because some servers are shut down, either infected or for protection, there is major congestion worldwide and home users will experience difficulties due to the high volume of traffic causing saturation".

Got this from The Australian Newspaper, who also say things should soon get better.

Personally I find the worst time on this BB is around 20:30hrs here in Victoria, just as all the offices in UK start logging onto PPRuNe!!!

Binoculars
29th Jan 2003, 13:02
Just spent the best part of an hour honing a long reply to a thread on JetBlast, clicked on submit and was told the Server was too busy just now, **** off and come back later. No problem, except that all my work had disappeared, and could not be recovered. Not a happy camper.

A word to the wise from one who knows; select and save your posts before you submit them.

:o :o :o

greatorex
29th Jan 2003, 17:00
Have been having the same problem too. Have we outgrown another server or is it just 'Sheer weight of traffic'? ;) :) ;) :)

Squawk7777
29th Jan 2003, 17:22
This brings up an interesting question. How many users and guests can the server handle without one getting the "server's too busy" message?

tony draper
29th Jan 2003, 17:23
Agreed Binos, its caught me out twice today, I got into the habit of saving before hitting send on another website that had tended to disapear at least 50% of my posts.
Guess I have been spoiled on JB, wonder if it has to do with this worm?, although I seem to have been getting the server busy message for quite a while now.
As I said on another thread about this, it does not seem to be associated with numbers surfing Proon.

BlueEagle
29th Jan 2003, 21:22
posted 29th January 2003 16:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Virus called Slammer
In addition to the above - there is a serious virus out at the moment that attacks servers, it has shut down half of South East Asia, as a result traffic is re-routed and major congestion occurs. MS notified customers in July but not all took action, (amazing!).

I am no 'techie' so bear with me, but it says here that, "particularly at risk are MS SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine, Visual Studio .NET and Office XP Developer Edition.

Because some servers are shut down, either infected or for protection, there is major congestion worldwide and home users will experience difficulties due to the high volume of traffic causing saturation".

Got this from The Australian Newspaper, who also say things should soon get better.

Personally I find the worst time on this BB is around 20:30hrs here in Victoria, just as all the offices in UK start logging onto PPRuNe!!!

[Edited rof spooling:} ]

Fly Stimulator
29th Jan 2003, 21:57
I am no 'techie' so bare with me

OK - you first! :cool:

Danny
30th Jan 2003, 16:31
If server load (unix) goes above 17.0 (high by any standards) or more than 900 simultaneous users are logged on (never achieved) then you will get the server busy message. The busiest time of day for the server is between 1130 and 1330 UTC. The server load is an average of the work being done by the processors. Normal safe activity is usually below 1.0 but most of the time the PPRune server is running at about 4.0 to 5.0. When 17.0 is reached your request is not processed and you get the message. It often drops down quite quickly to manageable levels and you should try again after about 20-30 seconds if you get the message. If the server load is high then you will also find the response time is much slower.

The current server is not even a year old yet and already I am having to start preparations for a server upgrade. I would love to go to an all singing, all dancing mega powerful server but the costs are prohibitive at the moment and therefore i have to look at gradual upgrades as and when they are required.

Those of you who remember the previous servers and the problems caused when they were overloaded will be quite happy with the current gentle way you are told about the problem. With regards to the long post/lost post dilemma it is always the case that you learn the hard way to save your work before submitting it if it is long. :=

sky9
31st Jan 2003, 09:25
Thanks for the Info Danny; the problems of success!:D

Squawk7777
2nd Feb 2003, 09:30
I don't know much about servers in general. What kind of server "serves" pprune? Do you upgrade them similar to a regular PC, e.g. more RAM, bigger HDD, additional processor/motherboard?