PDA

View Full Version : Spam on .aero

CUNIM
29th Jan 2003, 11:24
First of all, apologies as this topic has probably been raised many times before. I have a .aero domain which with my .com and personal one have been spam free. That is until I was sent an invoice from the .aero domain service, when suddenly I was inundated with spam having been "opted in" according to some of these people :mad:

Whilst I have complained to SITA, I have now got to fit up a decent spam killer onto my Outlook programme. What are your recommendations as I have already seen one that insists on replacing my outlook - which I like - for a home made jobby. I just want a front end killer. Any ideas folks?

Where do you think the spam was initiated from as it only addresses my dot aero name? I am seriously thinking of having to change the email address, which is a pain as we have first name.family name@ company.aero for everyone.

Thanks for your patience:)

Tonic Please
30th Jan 2003, 11:39
Hotmail and .NET emails, have an option to filter emails.

Filtering is very handy if you want only emails fom people you know reaching your inbox. Perhaps there is a function which you can enable, or personalise, which makes only emails from email addresses you type in and authorise, allowed to come into your inbox. Others will be turned away.

Any luck? Let me know :)

Dan

BlueRobin
30th Jan 2003, 14:35
Take a look at http://www.mailwasher.net. Might not be what you are looking for but does the biz for my spam.

CUNIM
30th Jan 2003, 17:35
Thanks Tonic Please and to Blue Robin.

I have downloaded the Mailwasher program and will give it a go. The problem that I have is that I get emails from all over the place - Tehran this morning!! so I often have strange addresses trying to contact me as I run an aviation consultancy. What really gets me is the fact that this spam costs me time and consequently munny!! The Scottish blood comes out here. I have probably been a bit naive believing that dot aero would protect me rather than being the only one to introduce this disease.

osbo
30th Jan 2003, 22:31
Must be doing something right to afford those .aero domain fees - $100/yr??????? - SITA must be rubbing their hands together!!!

CUNIM
31st Jan 2003, 09:00
Hey Osbo!

I hope so, if you are around see us at the ATC Maastricht show stand 345 (18-20 Feb)

:cool: :cool:

BlueRobin
31st Jan 2003, 14:49
No problem... ;)

Mailwasher has the ability to recognise spam using matches against email address (user-configurable too). Also it links in with spam relays. Tehran? Haven't had it delete wanted mail yet. You could always set the mailer up in the "buddy" list.

When you've identified the spam, it'll add them to the blacklist for furter reference. The good bit is that you can send a bounce message back to the sender in some cases. Spammer sees this and then deletes you from their list. This feature has cut my spam volume down. Wish it could pattern-match on content too...

Remember to pay the programmer if you like it! :D

P.S. We have a .aero domain here at work. There hasn't been a problem with receiving spam as a result of our registration.

CUNIM
31st Jan 2003, 15:11
Thanks Blue Robin - shoved it in and it seems to work quite well, just needs a running in period, but seems to separate the wheat from the chaff. Thanks for the pointer :)

I suppose that it serves me right in choosing a European provider for the dot aero.

Cheers and yes I'll forward some recompense to the bright lad.

ratsarrse
31st Jan 2003, 17:31
Thanks for the tip on Mailwasher - looks like the sort of thing I want too. Giving it a trial run now.