PDA

View Full Version : ATC recruiting.

radar o'reilly
29th Jan 2003, 11:05
just wondering if anyone has an educated idea of when Air Services are going to start recruiting ATC again.

thanks in advance. :):)

8 8th's Blue
30th Jan 2003, 00:36
Without sounding like a wind up. I was just wondering what min requirements are needed for ATC and how competative it was to get into.Is it hard???????????????????

88b

Bronte
30th Jan 2003, 02:48
ATC is full of would be's if they could be's. (pilots) If you are one of them, it makes it easy.

willadvise
30th Jan 2003, 04:18
http://www.selectnet.au.com/select.asp for requirements.

It is fairly difficult to get into and the testing and training weeds out a fair percentage.

I don't think ASA has any idea about when they will be recruiting again. With NAS in the air who knows?

Aussiebert
2nd Feb 2003, 16:54
Its usually about once a year

i don;'t see any shame in trained pilots going into ATC, it looks quite interesting to me

Knackers
4th Feb 2003, 00:37
Radar,

I had a chat to our HR section today. ASA is about to start recruiting for a mid-year enroute and tower course.

The Selectnet portal only opens after advertising in the press. It should open again probably late February. They are hoping to move to a system where it is open all year.

radar o'reilly
4th Feb 2003, 10:18
straight from the source. :cool:

Thanks Knackers....!! :D:D

suunto22
8th Feb 2003, 09:53
Radar, Knackers is 100% correct.

An enroute course started last Monday and apparently they will be starting another in July along with a Tower course at the same time. They will probably do a recruitment of around 28-36 people to fill both courses.

Testing will take up a full day, and when you pass that there will be an hour long interview in front of 4 or 5 people either the next day or within a month.

Check out the select net site for more details. It does give a reasonable idea of what it is all about. Pilots licences are definatley not a requirement, but are an advantage. Current tower has a multitude of experience from non ein aviation to CPL, MECIR and ex controllers.

If you are not sure about controlling get in contact with you local tower/centre and see if you can arrange a visit.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

Suunto

Throtlemonkey
13th Feb 2003, 10:47
Any idea as to the test format - IQ type puzzles, maths, essay multi choice ?

Also what is the normal time span from start to licensed ATC ?

Knackers
15th Feb 2003, 21:20
It's been a long time since I did my aptitude testing and its been evolving over the past decade. Suggest you contact either Don Cooke, Senior HR Adviser, Melbourne Centre on (03) 9235 2749 ([email protected].) or Ian McNeil, HR Manager, Melbourne Centre on (03) 9235 2729 ([email protected]). These guys run the ATC recruiting.

suunto22
16th Feb 2003, 06:35
Throtlemonkey,

Six or Seven tests all up for the day. General mental math, an interupt test, very simple ATC type test, sort test, pattern recognition test and psych test (ie. 100Q's, pick answer best suited to you).

Training is 12 months college, approx 4 months field training to first rating, and should be a Full Performance Controller within 5 years.

Check the Selectnet site (address listed previously on thread) as it is Airservices site used for recruiting. It will give an indication of what to expect during training and career progression.

Suunto

radar o'reilly
28th Feb 2003, 20:30
back to top.

no link on selectnet as now.

has it been and gone.....??

:)

suunto22
28th Feb 2003, 23:44
Radar

It definately hasn't been and gone! As far as i can see the selectnet site still says the "currently no requirement..." line and the Airservices site still only lists the August 2002 intake.

Suunto

SM4 Pirate
1st Mar 2003, 01:16
I heard yesterday that the mid year intake (with trainees already selected) has been postponed indefinately. That course is likely to be put back to Feb 04. So likely next recruitment will meet that time frame, so probably in October/November 03.

It seems that some accountant somewhere has a new mathematical numbering program, which says we are over staffed, despite most rosters having 40+ O/T shifts in a 6 week roster and that's when it's published, i.e. not considering the impact of sick leave. (where do they get these fools).

ATC is a great job, Airservices is a horrible company to work for.

The names mentioned earlier are correct but the email addresses should be @airservicesaustralia.com (another $500K well spent), not!

Bottle of Rum

suunto22
2nd Mar 2003, 07:22
Radar,

Apologies, i though they where still to be recruited but i to heard, via a friend via a ASA tower, a similar story today as SM4's. Apparently they have already tested, interviewed, selected and given a start date. As far as i know it will still be July this year but SM4 may know a little more.

It wouldn't surprise me if the bean counters do now think we are over staffed though. Still though, i have been told of a lot of controllers with there retirement date allready set. In one location, for a non 24hr tower, around 5 are retiring in the next year! Where are all the replacements?

Suunto

Grog Frog
3rd Mar 2003, 01:08
Some things never change. In the history of ATC, one moment recruiting has been put on hold due to staff excesses, staff forced to take rec leave, special projects (etc) , next thing, mad recruiting, qualified overseas and military candidates being sought. (12 months + lead time)

Funny thing though, the current crop sitting in the ATS Management seats, were the ones 10-20 years ago that were on the receiving end of what I described (above), and thought they had all of the answers if they were ever given these positions (which they now hold). !!!

:confused: :confused: :confused: