PDA

View Full Version : Routes Into Aviation

UKStudent64
24th Mar 2001, 04:29
I'm a student just taking my A-Levels and have always had the ambition to become a pilot. I shall be 18 this year and am looking to go to University to study Areospace Engineering, it will take me 4 or 5 years (maybe a year out, I don't know yet!) meaning I'll be out around 22/23 in 2005/06

My big plan is to become an engineer which will atleast get me into the aviation industry, half the dream, and then move sideways to become a pilot. I've spoken to people who have done this and wondered if anyone had anny comments on this approach. Is this a good idea? Do people already in the industry have an advantage over newcommers in becoming a pilot?

On a further note, does anyone have any opinions on what kind of pilot jobs are best and why? I was looking atflying for an Airline like BA. What do people think of the different jobs? Long Haul and Short Haul flights etc.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Jamie Townes

scroggs
24th Mar 2001, 13:00
I don't understand why you would wish to become an engineer before you became a pilot. All those that I know who have gone that route originally wanted to be engineers and changed their minds later on when they realised that pilots have more fun on more pay for less work!!
Seriously, if you want to be a pilot, start now. Get yourself a back-up qualification, by all means, but don't wait to start your pilot career - life has a horrible habit of making it too difficult later on.

Speedbird 2946
24th Mar 2001, 13:15
scroggs is absolutely right! I know lots of guys doing Aero Eng and many are itching to get onto the flight deck, having not yet finished their degrees. Saying this, degrees as back-up qualifications are a good idea if you don't have a good set of GCSEs and A-Levels behind you. If you do, however, have these good results which you could use should (touch wood) something medical happen to you down the line, then why not go for sponsorship now!? BA may cease the cadet pilot scheme by the time you graduate and they do have the largest intake of cadets with no money upfront. Personally if you LIKE aero eng then start and go for all the sponsorships you can, but be ready to leave if you get one. If you just want to be a pilot and were going to use aero eng as a route into flying don't bother- the course is very hard work and long when there are other easier routes into the flight deck.

Try doing a search on this website for information (use keywords and the wannabe section) and you'll find it amazing how much info and debate about this there is.

You don't need a degree to fly and if you want to risk the whole medical thing then fine. But there are three people starting on my BA ATPL course who don't have a degree!

GOOD LUCK!!

JT8
24th Mar 2001, 18:29
Coming from an Aero Eng finalist, think VERY hard before you take on this degree. It aint much fun. :mad:

Get a degree to back yourself up - Uni is an experience not to be missed, just dont think only planes will do as I did. The skills you pick up at university are often the same no matter what degree. Having a better understanding of turbulent boundary layer analysis is not going to make you a better pilot. Teamwork, communication etc are.

BTW, only a handfull of graduates on my course go into engineering. Most have had enough after 3/4 years of being a recluse, and to top it off aren't willing to work for 60-70% of what other graduates are starting on.

Take Scrogg's advice, pilots earn better money and work less. Plus, (most) pilots enjoy their jobs and the office views are better. EASY CHOICE!!! :)

Good luck
JT8 :)

[This message has been edited by JT8 (edited 24 March 2001).]

Groundloop
26th Mar 2001, 12:21
If you want to be a pilot with a degree backup, why don't you look at the BSc in Air Transport Operations at City in London. Second year of the course is an ATPL. So you get both an ATPL and a degree in three years.

Harry Wragg
26th Mar 2001, 23:42
Go to UNI, get a Degree, become self employed, make a shed load of cash, buy, aeroplane, go flying, be happy!

Do not work for the airlines, they are all run by second hand car salesmen.

Flying is great, the job sucks!