PDA

View Full Version : Gay & Lesbian Pilots

wel99999
24th Mar 2001, 00:06
I am applying to various airlines for direct entry and wondered if anyone has knowledge or impressions of some companies being more gay-friendly than others.

I am not going to turn down an airline because of that alone but as this isn't always the most welcoming profession I would like to make an educated decision.

For example I know that BA extend travel benefits to the partners of gay and lesbian flight crew.

Also does anyone know of any professional associations? I know there is a very active gay pilots association in the USA.

Cheers

av8tor128
26th Mar 2001, 19:42
I have friends who are members of a Gay organization in the USA
www.ngpa.org (http://www.ngpa.org)
You might look at it.
Take care

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Mar 2001, 21:38
Umm, unless you have command jet time or something I don't think you can afford to be too picky to be honest with you.

Just a thought.

Base leg
27th Mar 2001, 00:43
Would it ring any alarm bells if I posted looking for an Airline that was pro-French and preferred their pilots to be happily married to a loving husband/wife and 2.2 children.
Personnaly I prefer the type of airline that treats all people the same..........

overdoverover
27th Mar 2001, 02:02
BL, think you kind of missed the point. How is it unPC to ask which companies do not discriminate AGAINST gays? I guess there's always one.

[This message has been edited by overdoverover (edited 26 March 2001).]

jollygreengiant
27th Mar 2001, 13:02
Do any airlines actually ask?

[This message has been edited by jollygreengiant (edited 27 March 2001).]

Base leg
27th Mar 2001, 14:20
overdoverover-

'more gay-friendly than others'
was the phrase used in the original post-
Do you (overdoverover)think that the airlines are anti-gay? Remember positive discrimination is just as dangerous as discrimination.

aerostude
27th Mar 2001, 15:17
Baseleg - with you on this one.

An issue that dosen't need to be one is the top and bottom of it. I think the original post was a bit pointless myself. What does it matter if an airline is "gay friendly" or not. I certainly can't think of any that don't operate a stringent equal opps policy.

If you want to fly for a living then your sexuality isn't gonna make a difference. If there are any airlines that are more gay friendly in their recruitment, then they should be done for positive discrimination.

overdoverover
27th Mar 2001, 15:42
I am not, for one second, advocating pos disc. And no I don't think all airlines are anti-gay, but I have personally met many pilot's that are, (and many that aren't). Company culture, which is what I think is at the heart of the matter, can bring out the worst in people, if not carefully monitored. I would personally hate to sit in a cockpit on a long sector, next to a w***ker who spends the entire flight spouting homophobia, and it does happen.
I also agree that it shouldn't even be an issue, I bet the person who initiated this thread is laughing his/her tits off at the ensuing debate, but it does become an issue when individuals want to offer their partners travel concessions and can't, or want to take them to company do's but don't feel that they can. Sorry if you think I'm tarring the whole industry with the same brush, I'm not, but the truth is that some companies are better than others in not discriminating -vely.

invalid entry
28th Mar 2001, 11:47
Hi,
I am an active member of the NGPA and fly for BA. Very good working environment. E-mail me if you need additional info. [email protected]
invalid entry

[This message has been edited by invalid entry (edited 28 March 2001).]

cart tart 1
28th Mar 2001, 17:36
I just wanna know r u planning on running in there screaming to the whole world "i'm gay"
I am sure that most companies would not even ask you