PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow - Munich Route ???

sparkymarky
28th Jan 2003, 15:25
From today's Evening Times:

Germany air link planned for Glasgow

Aviation experts believe German national carrier Lufthansa will announce a new route from Glasgow to Munich within days. And it could be opened as early as March.
Glasgow Airport owners BAA Scottish Airports and Lufthansa refused today to confirm or deny the report.
The route will have to compete with Ryanair, which flies to Frankfurt from Prestwick.
Lufthansa will unveil its summer timetable within a week.
Industry sources expect its European regional wing, CityLine, to announce the Glasgow flights.
A daily Munich route would be Glasgow Airport's biggest boost since it announced £60m in airport charge discounts last July.
Glasgow politicians will watch closely to see if BAA can secure the route, highlighted as one of the most important for Scotland by Deputy First Minister Jim Wallace.
Glasgow lost its Lufthansa link with Germany, a key business route, years ago.
City Council, business and tourism leaders have lobbied for its restoration ever since.
A spokesman for council leader Charles Gordon said: "Germany is an extremely important market for Glasgow.
"Munich has tremendous potential as a business and leisure destination."
Two weeks ago the Evening Times revealed low-cost giant Germanwings wanted to launch daily budget flights between Edinburgh and Cologne.

gate4lounge
28th Jan 2003, 15:38
I'm not sure why this route, if it is announced, would have to compete with the Ryanair route into Hahn:confused: Is that not similar to suggesting that the BA or bmi routes from LHR to MAN are competing with the LHR to GLA or EDI routes?

sparkymarky
28th Jan 2003, 17:06
gate4lounge

Fair comment on the lack of geographic knowledge of the ET staff.

I'm just glad we are getting (hopefully) another direct route from Scotland to a European city.

With the EDI routes to Frankfurt and Cologne, PIK to Frankfurt/Hahn and this route added, it gives reasonable coverage of 'Europe's powerhouse'.

This can only be good for business and tourism.

gate4lounge
29th Jan 2003, 15:27
sparkymarky....I couldn't agree more:) Anything which widens and improves choice of destinations from this poorly served part of the world is always welcome:cool: