PDA

View Full Version : Converting JAR CPL / IR to FAA

Russell
15th Dec 2001, 03:34
I got my JAR CPL / IR frozen ATPL in August this year and was wondering has anyone converted their licence to the FAA. I ask because I'm not sure exactly what is required. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GoneWest
15th Dec 2001, 05:25
Ho hum, very popular question.

In a nutshell....the log book hours count towards any experience requirements of the FAA.

None of the flying licenses are of any use other than for the free issue of a PPL - VFR only.

If you want to use your instrument qualification, you need to take a written exam on USA procedures.

If you want an FAA instrument rating, few hours flying training with an instructor with probably less experience than you, get him to sign off a "fit for test", pass the flight test, pass a computer based written examination on USA procedures.

If you want a commercial pilots licence, few hours flying training with an instructor with probably less experience than you, get him to sign off a "fit for test", pass the flight test, pass a computer based written examination on USA procedures.

If you want an ATP - get your JAA one - then do the computer written and take the flight test....no training needed.

All the above require seperate certificates for single and multi engine - S/E I/R, M/E I/R, S/E Comm., M/E Comm, S/E ATP, M/E ATP.

Don't forget...without the right to work in the USA, any or all of those certificates will be worthless to you - unless you find an N reg aircraft that you can fly in Europe....and even WITH the right to work (Green Card) many companies are now stating "applicant must be U.S. Citizen".

englishal
15th Dec 2001, 20:00
Just as a side note to GoneWest....Although you require seperate certificates (check flights) for ME IR, ME Comm, ME ATP, in reality you don't have to do a full test. Example is, that if you have your SE IR, when you take the ME checkride, all you have to do to get you Instrument privileges on a Multi is to shoot two approaches during the ME check ride. One of these will be single engine.

Your best bet would be to do the FAA IR, then SE CPL, then CPL ME and get IR on the multi at the same time. For the ATP, there's not really too much point doing a SE ATP. Also for the ATP you need 1500 hrs before taking the check ride.....

[ 15 December 2001: Message edited by: englishal ]

needajob
16th Dec 2001, 06:04
Re: FAA ATP.

Of the 1500 hours total time, 500 hours must be x-country (more than 50NM), 100 hours night and 75 hours actual or simulated instrument time (50 hours of which must be in flight).

The written is quite easy though. Only 80 questions and 3 hours to complete them.

Russell
16th Dec 2001, 16:39
Thanks guys, loads of great info.