PDA

View Full Version : New Rules Would Revoke Certificates Of Pilots Labeled Security Threats

Squawk7777
27th Jan 2003, 18:49
from Aviation Week (http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_businessweekly_story.jsp?id=news/pilot01273.xml)

Here is an extract:

The Transportation Security Administration and Federal Aviation Administration Friday published three separate rules that call for the revocation of airman certificates of individuals deemed a security threat. The rules, released without prior notice or comment, stem from a congressional mandate in the Aviation and Transportation Security Act that directs the TSA to assess threats to transportation and notify FAA of the identity of people suspected of posing a risk to airline or passenger safety. The legislation, adopted in November of 2001, further directs the FAA "to make modifications to the system for issuing airmen certification to make the system more effective in serving the needs of officials responsible for enforcing laws related to combating acts of terrorism," FAA said.

The rules set up a process under which TSA issues an "Initial Notification" to individuals believed to be a threat and informs FAA of that notification. Upon notification, FAA will suspend the individual's airmen certificate or hold up any application until TSA either determines that the individual is a true threat and issues a Final Notification of Threat Assessment or decides that there is no threat and withdraws the Initial Notification. If the individual is found to be a threat, FAA will revoke the certificates or deny applications for certificates. Certification privileges will be restored if the threat notification is withdrawn.

TSA established a process under which individuals can respond to notifications in writing, providing any additional information that could help their case. TSA also will allow the individuals to be represented by counsel and request copies of any "releasable information" that led to the determinations. The agency added that while it "has been granted full discretion to conduct threat assessments and act upon them, TSA recognizes that notifying the FAA that an individual poses a security threat will have significant consequences."

[...]

Doug Carr, director of government affairs for the National Business Aviation Association, agreed. "It's a big concern," he said. "One of the biggest changes that the procedures require is the elimination of a third-party review before the suspension of the license. TSA has justified away the necessity for that review."

High Wing Drifter
27th Jan 2003, 19:12
I thought it was traditional for terrorists to hijack airlines before doing somethign dangerous with them.

I know this is the FAA, but just imagine it in this country. I mean, I have not heard of many fanatical terrorsists doing a year at BAe, completeing their MCC, buying a 737 type rating, paying Ryan £50 for an interview, going for selection, returning for sim checks, getting the job and then picking their moment - hoping to God that Easy does not change its rosters at the last minute.

Anyway, all the funds in Al-Qaeda could not cope with current training and currency requirements.

What a load of complete male ruminant stool.

upthere
27th Jan 2003, 22:19
Anyway, all the funds in Al-Qaeda could not cope with current training and currency requirements.
I assume that was a dig at training costs these days and not a genuine comment?

I think we might be suprised at what Al-Qaeda can and cannot afford. They were smart enough to work the stocks and shares leading up to 9/11 and already had serious financial clout to train their terrorists at the alleged training camps. I have forgotten their exact estimated assets reported but they were extremely disturbing if I remember correctly.

They could afford flight training to the extent of being able to handle a jet as complex as a 75/767 into a narrow target at over 400mph as we all witnessed on 9/11.

Not trying to say anything more other than some people maybe under estimate them that's all.

As for the new rules: slightly worrying as I can see some innocent guys losing their jobs with this one.

Squawk7777
28th Jan 2003, 01:08
upthere

I cannot imagine an al-Qaeda would-be pilot passing the JAA written tests. The suicide pilots did stand out for there poor flying skills as far as I recall. This was the reason that some got the attention of the FBI. They really screwed us...

iflysims
28th Jan 2003, 21:00
Money is not really the issue of this rule change..or wether people are good enough pilots...the scary part is that now a TSA official can come up to you and say give me your license..you ask why and he just sais national security. I really do not see how this rule would prevent anyone from committing crimes like 9/11 and unfortunatly will make it less desireble for students to come to the US and train.

For those who are interested here is the rule as published:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-1681.htm

pseudorandomnoise
30th Jan 2003, 08:08
Providing you don't have 'Fanatical allegiances' then you have got nothing to worry about.

Don't scare monger. Very unlikely that they would ever strike twice - they have lost the element of suprise, but no harm in the Government of any country bringing in such rules.

Generally as pilots we are levelled headed individuals who would welcome any method/rules to protect not only innocent people but also the industry that we have trained so hard to join.