PDA

View Full Version : Radiation…are we getting too much?

max_cont
27th Jan 2003, 12:03
As an aside, in the charter company I work for, an alarming number of my colleagues have succumbed to various forms of cancer. Sadly in the majority of cases it’s proven terminal. It’s starting to worry many of us so much; we now choose not to cruise above FL350

I have recently filled in a health questionnaire to aid a study into flight crew health. I have to confess, the bolting horse and stable door spring to mind. Gathering statistical evidence that we are/might be killing ourselves is all well and good, but I fear that its too little too late for this generation of flight crew.

Are the alarm bells ringing for any other crewmembers out there?

411A
27th Jan 2003, 13:27
Knew a few guys that worked for the (original) PanAmerican, all of them long-haul in the B747, and one (age 66 at the time)mentioned to me that many of his friends had dropped dead within 2-3 years after retirement. Mostly coronary heart desease.
He noted that most, being quite senior, had tried to bid so as to fly their hours in the first (or last) part on the month, thereby having maximum consecutive days off.
All well and good, however having many time changes...short layovers etc cannot be all that good for ones' health.
Suspect that the radiation angle is a red herring, more likely long nights (short rest) and little exercise is much more of a factor.

DX Wombat
27th Jan 2003, 18:01
Max, I can understand your concern and hopefully it will be found to have no real basis, BUT, in the meantime, why not ask your Occupational Health or Health and Safety at Work Departments to issue you with radiation dosage monitoring badges like those worn by radiographers. This will give both you and them an idea of just how much radiation you are actually receiving and hopefully put your mind at rest. If it shows that you are exceeding the maximum recommended amount then your company will have to take appropriate action.

Cathar
27th Jan 2003, 18:40
The following may be of interest.

http://www.aviation.dft.gov.uk/cosmic/index.htm

RAT 5
27th Jan 2003, 20:00
DX. W

Is not this type of trial exactly what the various CAA's and unions should be taking the initiative on?

With health and safety so much to the fore, well on the ground anyway, the EU says that employers have a duty of care to employees and customers. I wonder if there has really been a careful study. With so many a/c now cruising above FL370 as the norm', I suspect that the new data might well differ from that of many years ago.

However, I also suspect that there are interested parties that do not want to open pandora's box??

PS. I wonder just who has been getting the biggest cut from all the day-glo jackets that now proliferate the EU? It's got to be a nice little earner for someone. Make a new rule, then cash in on the adherance. Wouldn't be the first time the wife of the boss has started a new sideline to service a subsiduary of hubby's empire. All under cover, of course. There was a time when you could identify a policeman with ease. Now they all look like the same, or is that me getting older?

In replies, please keep to the radiation topic!! My fault for digressing into pantomine clothing. Jealousy I didn't think of it first!

masit
11th Feb 2003, 20:37
During my examination work, i had the opportunity to read a preliminary study about flight crew health :

There have been hundreds of crewmembers assessed during a 19 year period. things found have been quite surprising :

**we expected radiation to cause higher cancer rates with flying personnel*** surprisingly, a low amount of radiation seems to alert the immunesystem which continuously works against the radiation but also prevents cell mutation (similar to nuclear medicine)

But let's not forget the impact on our skin. there is still a high amount of pilots diagnosed with skin cancer. Prevention is very important in this case

The effects on the reproductive system are known and there is no protection against

We tried to use our hospital-dosimeter (the little badge who measures radio exposure). unfortunately, that wont work in an aircraft. inside the dosimeter is a little x-ray film designed to pick up "shots" by x-ray machines designated ray type. the film is unable to detect cosmic radiation so far.

Also, we shall not miss given familiy history and other related things about cancer. they have to be taken into account as well.

feel free, sending me an email about medical questions and subjects [email protected]

PS. is somebody able to tell me more details about the mentioned charter company ? i would appreciate some more facts about this increasing cancer incidence (types of cancer shown, age, flight levels, aircraft type etc.).
The information given will be held absolutely confidential as per medical regulations.

Human Factor
12th Feb 2003, 09:42
This is probably going to sound ridiculous, but is one's radiation exposure reduced by flying at night? There is presumably a high residual radiation in the atmosphere even then (Northern Lights).

snooky
13th Feb 2003, 13:02
I understand that radiation levels rise very significantly during large solar storms, which occur relatively infrequently.

Apparently during the last major storm (I'm not sure but I think it was around July 2000) anyone undertaking a long haul flight above 29000' recieved more than the annual recommended dose.

I don't understand why airlines don't just get their aircraft to fly relatively low on the rare days that this is a problem, probably just the cost of the extra fuel on these odd occasions.

I've seen a geiger counter in flight, and it always advises "leave the room" above 29000'!

Slightly wrong date on my previous post, but HERE'S (http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q444.html) a link.

Semaphore Sam
13th Feb 2003, 20:45
Nothing can beat regular hours, plenty of sleep, and good habits (exercise, diet, etc) for good health and a long, productive and happy life. But, if you're reading this on PPrune, this situation is probably outside your realm of possible reality; we all have screwed-up sleep patterns and constant fatigue.

Radiation has always been denigrated as a concern, but I disagree. I really don't know how much it affects crewmembers, so, if I don't know, I figure I should always play safe. How?
1. Fly as low as possible, given changeable factors (fuel, wx, etc)
2. Put as much as possible betwixt you and direct exposure to sunlight...newspapers, lead shields, whatever. Oh yes, I know, vis is inhibited, and the Feds would bust you. Well, whilst being watched, put up with exposure; when not watched, PROTECT YOURSELF! What's TCAS for if not to help you? Be legal, & die at 63 from skin cancer. If you believe that propaganda about lethal rays not being able to pass thru windscreens, you can buy your plot under the Brooklyn Bridge, which you probably already own.