PDA

View Full Version : Tell your Boss?

sam711
27th Jan 2003, 08:50
If your pretty new to a company at the top end of GA, and get a call for the interview and sim ride down south, could you expect your new boss to be understanding or is it better to tell them your mum's cat died?

Bagot_Community_Locator
27th Jan 2003, 09:07
It all depends on who you work for.

Some operators are very happy to see their pilots move ahead ( as it is inevitable) however some will hold it against you.

I know many operators have told pilots they can attend an interview but not to bother coming back.

Others have held back promotions because of your "disloyal" behaviour.

Usually honesty is the best policy as they will usually find out anyway.

Try discussing it with fellow pilots and see if any of them have been in the same situatuion.

High Altitude
28th Jan 2003, 01:07
Just a few quick points...

1) Australia is a very small community, aviation even smaller. Your boss will find out that the cats funeral wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

2) If you have the professional courtesy to give notice then no it shouldn't be a problem.

3) Understand that at times it will be impossible for you to be given the time off, therefore explain to QF your circumstance and re sched.

4) Honesty is the best and only policy.

5) Always do you previous employer the courtesy of notice. As they say what goes around comes around.

Anyway its always a great p*ss up when someone leaves the company to the airlines...

Bagot_Community_Locator
28th Jan 2003, 08:47
Yes HA,

You usually do put on a great p*ssup when someone leaves and sometimes(usually) a stripper as well :D :D

Steely Dan
29th Jan 2003, 00:07
Definitely inform the boss as soon as you can. I was at the bottom of ga and new to a company and needed a couple of weeks off for an interview. Told the boss, he wasn't happy but was understanding of the situation. Bull****ing the boss is one less thing you need to worry about when your down south.

MIss Behaviour
29th Jan 2003, 00:28
3) Understand that at times it will be impossible for you to be given the time off, therefore explain to QF your circumstance and re sched.

HA, shirley you can't be serious! You get an interview with QF then say sorry I can't make it that day my boss won't give me time off. What would that sort of attitude would that convey to QF? Probably that he/she can't be all that serious about joining the company if they can't juggle things to attend the interview.

Christ almighty, if you get asked for an interview with a major accept the date they give unless you have the luxury of a choice of dates.

By all means tell your employer the reason you need the time off giving as much notice as possible but if they can't (or won't) find someone to swap with you don't be afraid to leave the job & find another one when you get back from the interview.

Having said that if an employee does the right thing & is straight with you, you should do everything you can to accommodate their request. Generally this wouldn't happen so it's hardly surprising you get 'my Mum's cat died' stories. If they leave because you refuse their request you're still going to have to find someone to cover them anyway.

Any employer that deliberately makes life difficult for employees just because they have an interview is a loser. They may not even be successful or even if they are it may be quite a while before they get a start date with the new job so may still do many more hours flying for the GA company before they 'hang up their boots'. If you're a ******** about it, don't expect loyalty from that person or their mates/colleagues in the future.

You are naive to say the least if you think that people get into aviation to spend the rest of their life in GA & not 'go for it' if the situation arises. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

High Altitude
29th Jan 2003, 01:07
Drag the claws in there Miss...

If you re read my post you will see that I for one am very happy to see people move on, infact as you are no doubt aware I have worked hard to help people move on.

"What would that sort of attitude would that convey to QF? Probably that he/she can't be all that serious about joining the company if they can't juggle things to attend the interview."

To the contrary I think you will find that it would convey what a loyal and dedicated person you are and that infact you have morals and believe in them. It has happened here where yes we would have loved to have given someone the time but work simply did not permit it. QF had no problem re scheduling when the situation was explained.

I am certainly not nieve enough to believe that someone would blow of a QF interview for GA... but I tell ya in the above circumstance what kind of glowing reference do you think was given? Loyalty? Trust? Honesty? Commitment?...

Please would someone hurry up and get into the rat we need another stripper (sorry DC you were to far away)...

Mr. Hat
29th Jan 2003, 02:44
Go with honesty I say. I've always gone with that attitude in everyhting and although it makes me cringe sometimes I think the bosses respect it.

One employer wanted me for an immeadiate start once and I bargained with him for a week or two to give adequate notice. At the end of the conversation he comented " good to see that you will do the right thing by me when you leave"

RENURPP
29th Jan 2003, 12:49
Sam711,
My oppinion lies very close to HA's.
Completely self interested peolpe like Miis B are the sought QF and GA cwould be possibly better without.

Read the "women in aviation post" and decide what sort of woman would treat people like that.

Rich-Fine-Green
29th Jan 2003, 21:37
Years ago, Promising New Candidate walks into a Mate's operation looking for a job.

The question was posed about when the candidate could possibly start.

The answer; "I can call my boss now and tell him I'm not coming back".

Needless to say, any thought of a job offer was then quashed.

It's been said before, a little courtesy & hard work will get you where you want to go. It's too small an industry.

QF, DJ and others will understand if you have prior comitments.

I guess that's why QF and others have an extensive selection process - the selfish & self centered, non-team players are then easily culled.

In GA the selection process is often called 'it's who you know'. So don't p1ss people off, do network and do keep in contact with previous classmates, fellow pilots, engineers and ex-bosses. You never know who may be on the other side of a selection panel. ;)

ITCZ
31st Jan 2003, 23:56
Rich-fine-green:

I guess that's why QF and others have an extensive selection process - the selfish & self centered, non-team players are then easily culled.

That sounds more like a belief than a statement of fact.

Have seen many hardworking colleagues make it into CX, QF, etc. Have seen a few bludgers and backstabbers make it past the post too.

C'est la vie.:rolleyes:

404 Titan
1st Feb 2003, 02:37
MIss Behaviour

I use to be the Chief pilot of a very large and respected all multi engine IFR Charter Company. We never had a problem letting pilots attend interviews for airline jobs. If though they couldn’t give me much notice they new it would be difficult for me to give them the time off. I did have one guy that did ask to reschedule his interview with QF and they didn’t have a problem with it. He is now with QF. Just remember airlines like Qantas do ring up previous employers to get references. I had QF ring me on three separate occasions for references of previous employees. If any of them had been stupid enough to cross or make demands of me like the way you are suggesting up and comings should, I would have most definitely burnt their bridge.
:mad: