PDA

View Full Version : RAN & the bushfires

Gravox
27th Jan 2003, 06:40
During the recent bushfires in NSW and ACT I have noted 2 RAN Choppers engaged in water bombing . I had previously wondered why the Army doesn't get invovled.. They have a large fleet of helicopters, and the manpower to conduct this exercise, sure training will be required, but if the Navy can do it why doesn't the Army. It ould be a good use of the tax payers dollar.

To all the chopper pilots involved in the water bombing operations, I take my hat off to you! You all are doing an amazing job. Keep up the great work.

Any news regarding the condition of the pilot who crashed a few weeks ago?

Zarg
28th Jan 2003, 06:20
The fact that RAN choppers were used in the ACT fires is probably because Nowra is the closest military base with the necessary assets. I believe they used a Seahawk and a Squirrel. The nearest Army rotary base is Oakey in Queensland. I am sure that if a similiar scenario erupted further north the Army would be happy to assist.

The helo pilot is in a stable condition in Canberra Hospital.:)

200baz
28th Jan 2003, 10:29
Govt policy says that the ADF can't be seen to take dollars off the civiy industry. Although I'm sure if it came down to it The ADF would be there with bells on when asked to.