PDA

View Full Version : Airtours Pilots : 20% or Strike?

what_the_hell_was_that?
30th Jul 2001, 10:15
Interesting article in yesterdays Mail on Sunday, so I guess it has to be true.....

Pilots' pay packages set for take-off
Jeremy Skidmore, Mail on Sunday 29 July 2001
HOLIDAY giant Airtours has dug deep to offer its 420 UK-based pilots a substantial pay deal. It hopes to head off a potentially disastrous summer strike by disgruntled staff.

According to sources, there is 'considerable disquiet' among the charter carrier's pilots, who have seen their pay slip way behind low-cost carriers such as easyJet and Ryanair.
Balpa, the British Air Line Pilots' Association, has agreed a deal with Airtours after months of wrangling and will ballot members on the package in the next two weeks. Details of the pay deal are secret, but sources said the agreement was substantial and Balpa is confident that the pilots will accept it.
A source said: 'There is considerable disquiet among the pilots. There was talk of them wanting increases of up to 20%.'
Airtours is desperate to avoid the problems suffered by Spanish carrier Iberia, where pilots went on strike. A deal was reached after three days of action earlier this month, costing the airline about £3m a day.
Any industrial action by Airtours' pilots during the peak summer period could have a disastrous impact on profits - travel companies make most of their money during July, August and September. Packages offered to pilots are dependent on experience and are made up of salaries, pensions and share options*.
One reason packages offered to Airtours' pilots have been less attractive in recent years is because its share price has slumped from a high of 544 1/2p to 251p on Friday and share options are less attractive. Rivals such as easyJet have offered aggressive deals to attract pilots. Six months ago, easyJet paid a £30,000 'signing-on fee' to captains able to fly Boeing 737-700s. In addition, captains receive packages worth about £90,000 a year.

[ 30 July 2001: Message edited by: what_the_hell_was_that? ]

mallard
31st Jul 2001, 12:04
Give me one good reason why any sane and intelligent person would believe a word in the Daily Mail or the Mail on Sunday.
There is an awful lot of rubbish on pprune but not nearly as much as in those so called newspapers.
I disowned my parents decades ago for for spending hard earned money on such papers and espousing their views.
Actually I keep my mouth shut and try not to provoke arguments, but I still can't believe the popularity of junk journalism.
My English is quite good ,thank you, so I daresay I could do as as well as so called professionals but I would have to sell my soul first.

sluggums
31st Jul 2001, 23:24
From what I've heard, the newspaper article might not be so far from the truth. Things are not too good?

faq
1st Aug 2001, 00:44
With 4 Skyservice A320 aircraft and Canadian crews due to operate ex UK next summer, and with Skyservice now having 3 A320 and 2 A330 surplus to requirements now Roots is no more (Air Canada to operate Roots routes, see todays Flight International), Airtours pilots should be seeing off this threat to their jobs as well as sorting any pay issue they might have.

mjenkinsblackdog
5th Aug 2001, 15:21
WHAT THE HELL.
Where do you come up with 90000 sterling for easyjet captains.
Rubbish.
No where near that figure and dont try saying the options are included.

what_the_hell_was_that?
5th Aug 2001, 16:14
No point having a rant at me mjenkinsblackdog.

I was just pasting the article as I found it on the Mail website.

Can I perhaps suggest going back to bed and getting out the OTHER side this time....

;)

[ 05 August 2001: Message edited by: what_the_hell_was_that? ]

mjenkinsblackdog
5th Aug 2001, 17:49
Still incorrect.
I hope you dont agree with the article.
Or you will have to go to bed.