PDA

View Full Version : GARUDA whats happening

Xeque
26th Jan 2003, 15:40
Can anyone tell me what's happening at GARUDA please.

I enjoyed an excellent flight from BKK to LGW last November but that flight has now been cancelled.

I wanted to fly them BKK to BNE for Christmas but, again, flight cancelled and we went another airline instead.

They took a bad hit after the Bali bomb. I hope they will continue to trade. Good airlines (from a passenger viewpoint) are hard to come by these days.

nitro rig driver
26th Jan 2003, 15:52
yes your right ,
they did take a big hit on the lgw-bkk route from pax canx their flts
ga decided that they would canx the wed flt frm lgw and i believe the route will suffer from from further canx from now until mar/apr time (though they will no doubt use the a/c for the haj)
don/t know about bne but i guess the same reason for above
ie bali
keep an i on their web site

El Desperado
26th Jan 2003, 16:27
Just read a quote in the Jakarta Post that Garuda will not have a problem with respect to the threatened industrial action by some of the crew.

The paper quoted some figures which I find almost unbelievable.. an A330 captain currently makes around 40 million Rupiah, which translates (to you and me) to less than 3000 sterling and around $4000 a year.

They've asked for 88 million ($8500) and the company has offered around $4500.

How can anyone afford to live in Jakarta on those salaries ? (And, of course, how can anyone afford to live in London on British salaries.....) Same story, different figures, great airline.

ZK-NSJ
27th Jan 2003, 03:49
according to save the children fund in places like that u can feed a whole family for $1 a day

st patrick
27th Jan 2003, 19:33
I worked, on contract, for Garuda in the early nineties and was on more than double what their Captains are on despite not being in the left seat. Yes you can live - VERY WELL - in a place like Jakarta on a salary of $4,000 a month. When I was there the average wage - unskilled - was $1 a day (yes one buck u.s. a day)
Lovely people to work with. With regard to their changing schedule, nothing new there, as I was informed on arrival that GARUDA stood for Going As Reschedueled Until Delayed Again !:)
Oh happy days they were !!!!! Selemat tidur !!